+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leave of Absence + study permit length? Visa delay

trang.ng.pharm

Sep 13, 2019
Hi guys,
My visa is being delayed, I have been waiting for 12 months 14 days. If IRCC does not issue the result before in-person classes start this Fall 2021, I am thinking after finishing this spring sem, I will apply for leave, then after getting the visa I will resume my study. So my questions are:
1- Study Permit length:
Assume the school approves my leave, I skip Fall 2021 sem, resume Winter 2022, so when I get the visa and go through Custom, they will grant me the study permit length based on when I finish the program? So it means I will need to extend my study permit later on?
2- If I can keep my status Full time, even if I study less courses, take longer to finish the program, extend SP to complete the program, then the PGWP will still be okay?
Thanks

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi guys,
My visa is being delayed, I have been waiting for 12 months 14 days. If IRCC does not issue the result before in-person classes start this Fall 2021, I am thinking after finishing this spring sem, I will apply for leave, then after getting the visa I will resume my study. So my questions are:
1- Study Permit length:
Assume the school approves my leave, I skip Fall 2021 sem, resume Winter 2022, so when I get the visa and go through Custom, they will grant me the study permit length based on when I finish the program? So it means I will need to extend my study permit later on?
2- If I can keep my status Full time, even if I study less courses, take longer to finish the program, extend SP to complete the program, then the PGWP will still be okay?
Thanks
1. They will issue permit based on your Letter of Acceptance’s length of program. You will need to extend your permit but we cant tell you if they will let you through border control, thats up to CBSA. Be mindful of the study gap that may affect your pgwp

2. As long as you maintain full time status plus other conditions, you should be okey

on a side note, did you start taking courses before your AIP or SP Approved?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I guess you can take an authorised leave for fall with permission from your school but following that, you cannot maintain full-time status if you take less credit or courses in other semesters besides your last one.

Reactions: trang.ng.pharm

trang.ng.pharm

Sep 13, 2019
1. They will issue permit based on your Letter of Acceptance’s length of program. You will need to extend your permit but we cant tell you if they will let you through border control, thats up to CBSA. Be mindful of the study gap that may affect your pgwp

2. As long as you maintain full time status plus other conditions, you should be okey

on a side note, did you start taking courses before your AIP or SP Approved?
hey there, yeah I started studying in Fall 2020. Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

trang.ng.pharm

Sep 13, 2019
I guess you can take an authorised leave for fall with permission from your school but following that, you cannot maintain full-time status if you take less credit or courses in other semesters besides your last one.
Hey there, I am a graduate student so my status would be all full-time regardless of the number of courses I take. But in the leave of absence time, it might be recorded as a leave.