+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LEAVE CANADA WHILE WAITING FOR OPEN WORK PERMIT

BB802

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
Just wanted to ask, so if my husband is waiting for his open work permit and leaves to go to US for say 5 days, how difficult would it be to return to Canada? He is from a visa exempt country and has an eta to stay
HI, did your husband leave before he got the OWP? If so what happened please?

tsimone1002

Feb 10, 2020
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-09-2019
Yeah he did and came back in with no problems - he had a return ticket out of Canada so they didn't question much after
Hi there. My husband and I are hoping to go visit my family(out of country) for two weeks. He is a Canadian citizen and has sponsored me under the family class and I'm still waiting on my OWP. Right now I have a visitor record for 6 months that I have to forfeit when I leave Canada. Is this the situation your husband was in and he didn't have any issues returning to Canada? We're trying to figure out if leaving is worth the risk. Thank you!

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Hi there. My husband and I are hoping to go visit my family(out of country) for two weeks. He is a Canadian citizen and has sponsored me under the family class and I'm still waiting on my OWP. Right now I have a visitor record for 6 months that I have to forfeit when I leave Canada. Is this the situation your husband was in and he didn't have any issues returning to Canada? We're trying to figure out if leaving is worth the risk. Thank you!
My husband didn’t need a visa to enter Canada, he also had a return ticket back to Singapore (which we eventually forfeited after he got his work permit) so we didn’t face any problems. The only risk is if the officer decides that you’re not allowed to re enter, your application will be forfeited. I can’t guarantee anything but if you have a visa to enter the country and if you have a flight ticket out of Canada then I don’t see why they shouldn’t let you in.

Feb 23, 2019
Hi

Inland applicants are advised not to leave Canada because if they are refused re-entry, the inland app is abandoned.

A requirement of applying inland is that you be cohabiting IN Canada with your spouse throughout the process. If you leave for 3 months, there is a good chance that you will be determined to have violated that requirement and therefore not qualify for inland. If you do decide to leave, keep the absence to a few weeks.
This is a very sound advice. Consider it when planning for next steps.

Emmma

Nov 9, 2020
Hi there, I know this is an older thread but hoping I can get some help.

I have been waiting 9 months for my OWP and hopefully it will come soon, I want to spend some time back in my home country.
If I leave Canada before my OWP will it still be processed or would leaving Canada before it is completed mean they will deny it?

what would happen if it was processed while I was out of the country would it still be valid? And can I still apply for a SIN?

redhotgalego

Star Member
Aug 20, 2015
Hi there, I know this is an older thread but hoping I can get some help.

I have been waiting 9 months for my OWP and hopefully it will come soon, I want to spend some time back in my home country.
If I leave Canada before my OWP will it still be processed or would leaving Canada before it is completed mean they will deny it?

what would happen if it was processed while I was out of the country would it still be valid? And can I still apply for a SIN?
It probably depends. Do you have a current status in the country and will that status remain while you're away?

Sukhvir.Singh

Star Member
Jun 8, 2020
Hi there can someone give me a advice. I am here in canada on work permit finishing in july 2021 . I have recently applied for AINP in alberta . Do you guys think should i go to india for 1 month because i am missing my family so badly . I badly want to meet them . As because of covid AINP files are not getting processed till next year .
Please give me your valuable advice.

Thanks in Advance