+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leave Canada for a month while spouse sponsorship is in process

Janix

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
Hi There Guys,

Maybe anyone here could give me an advise.
We just submitted our application for spouse sponsorship last July 2015.
And I already received an email from immigration office here in Canada saying that I am approved to sponsor my partner from the Philippines,
and they already forwarded our application to Canada Embassy Manila for further processing.

My question is can I have a vacation in the Philippines for a month?
so that i can spend more time with my family there and my partner?

Will it affect the process if leave Canada for a month?
Some say yes, I should never leave canada while our application is in process, others say the other wise..

Thanks in Advance!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are a Canadian citizen, you can leave without it having any impact at all on the application.

If you are only a PR of Canada, yourself, you would still be able to take a short trip outside of Canada (maybe a week or two), but going for a month could be a problem.

Good luck!

Reactions: sidd200970

Janix

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
Ponga said:
If you are a Canadian citizen, you can leave without it having any impact at all on the application.

If you are only a PR of Canada, yourself, you would still be able to take a short trip outside of Canada (maybe a week or two), but going for a month could be a problem.

Good luck!
Thank you ponga:)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Ponga said:

Good luck!
While technically a Canadian citizen can leave Canada while inland application is in process, it still the same problem of "being separated long enough" that they are "not living together in Canada" as per inland requirement.

I had a friend (A Canadian) that went back to work in Japan for 4-5 months while his wife, the applicant, stays in Canada during inland application. He "may" even get away with it since the applicant didn't leave Canada. But they were still violating the "living together in Canada" requirement for inland.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
While technically a Canadian citizen can leave Canada while inland application is in process, it still the same problem of "being separated long enough" that they are "not living together in Canada" as per inland requirement.

I had a friend (A Canadian) that went back to work in Japan for 4-5 months while his wife, the applicant, stays in Canada during inland application. He "may" even get away with it since the applicant didn't leave Canada. But they were still violating the "living together in Canada" requirement for inland.
How do you know that they have submitted an Inland application?

I thought the OP wants to travel to see their spouse/partner?

If it is in fact an Inland application, meaning that both sponsor and applicant are now in Canada, I agree that they should NOT leave Canada!

Janix

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
screech339 said:

I am a (Filipino) permanent residence here in Canada, and my wife is in the Philippines right now and im planning to have a one month vacation this christmas.
I am just concern if it will affect our application, It is now on Canadian Embassy Manila for further processing.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Ponga said:
How do you know that they have submitted an Inland application?

I thought the OP wants to travel to see their spouse/partner?

If it is in fact an Inland application, meaning that both sponsor and applicant are now in Canada, I agree that they should NOT leave Canada!
They applied inland. They told us which process they used. They are now back together in Canada. So that is why I said "They probably even get away with it" since CIC will focus on the applicant's travel history and not the Canadian's travel history. If CIC does pick up on the husband's travel history to Japan, then their application MAY be in jeopardy. But chances that CIC will pick up on this tidbit will be quite low.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
They applied inland. They told us which process they used. They are now back together in Canada. So that is why I said "They probably even get away with it" since CIC will focus on the applicant's travel history and not the Canadian's travel history. If CIC does pick up on the husband's travel history to Japan, then their application MAY be in jeopardy. But chances that CIC will pick up on this tidbit will be quite low.
When/how did they tell `us' this? Did you read other posts from the OP to figure that out (something that I can't be bothered to do most of the time)? ;)

But...the OP now states that his wife is in the Philippines now...with an Inland application submitted?!?!

Janix

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
Ponga said:
When/how did they tell `us' this? Did you read other posts from the OP to figure that out (something that I can't be bothered to do most of the time)? ;)

But...the OP now states that his wife is in the Philippines now...with an Inland application submitted?!?!
I think we have a confusion here.. hehehe :)
our application is outside Canada, because me and my wife never leave together in Canada..

I think screech339 is pertaining to a different application :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Janix said:
I think we have a confusion here.. hehehe :)
our application is outside Canada, because me and my wife never leave together in Canada..

I think screech339 is pertaining to a different application :)
I think you're right. LOL!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I agree that I may have had a mix up. The OP applied outland (I wasn't aware of this) so it has no bearing on their application. The PR can leave for short visits (1 month outside is pushing the envelope) while a Canadian can stay out as long as he/she likes.

Janix

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
screech339 said:
I agree that I may have had a mix up. The OP applied outland (I wasn't aware of this) so it has no bearing on their application. The PR can leave for short visits (1 month outside is pushing the envelope) while a Canadian can stay out as long as he/she likes.
Hi screech339,

In your opinion what will be the effect on our application if I leave Canada for a month?
Will they refuse our application or cause delays on the processing time?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Janix said:
Hi screech339,

In your opinion what will be the effect on our application if I leave Canada for a month?
Will they refuse our application or cause delays on the processing time?
It is a small risk to take. I think the risk of your application being denied because you left Canada as PR for a month is very very very small, however not 0% safe. That is why I said, 1 month is pushing the envelope.

If I were in your shoes, I would still chance it and not worry too much on the risk. The risk is just too small to worry about.

Janix

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
screech339 said:
It is a small risk to take. I think the risk of your application being denied because you left Canada as PR for a month is very very very small, however not 0% safe. That is why I said, 1 month is pushing the envelope.

If I were in your shoes, I would still chance it and not worry too much on the risk. The risk is just too small to worry about.
I see..

Thanks so much screech339! :)

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
I thought the rule were that you have to live together for 2 years once PR was granted? Do you really have to live together during the entire process of the application too? Ofcourse it does look good, but is a requirement?