+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LCP - Submitting Passport in Person at the Hong Kong Embassy - How Long?

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
I have a bit of an update. The embassy has responded to advise that they will be able to get the passport back to our nanny within just a few days, so that she can exit Hong Kong before her deadline to leave. They have her cell number, and she will be called to come and pick it up.

So my fingers are crossed now that everything is going to work out, and that by early next week she will have her visa. She must leave Hong Kong by next Friday (8 days), so we are running out of time.

I will just be so happy when she gets here, and we can stop worrying about her and worrying whether this will work out.

The lesson to be learned here for anyone is that if you are going to drop off your passport in person, it is best to be in a position to be able to remain in Hong Kong for up to a month or more waiting for it to be returned. Do not assume you will get it back within a week or two only.

We seem to be learning so much as we go here. I wish there was a guidebook on all these details!

Ryancory

Aug 11, 2014
Just wonder if it is because of your situation so that they can return her passport in just a few days. Or actually it only takes a week or so to have the visa stamp on the passport.
I am still waiting for the work permit for my nanny, almost 5 months since the day she dropped off the application. I am so worried now, as I have to return to work soon.

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Ryancory said:
Just wonder if it is because of your situation so that they can return her passport in just a few days. Or actually it only takes a week or so to have the visa stamp on the passport.
I am still waiting for the work permit for my nanny, almost 5 months since the day she dropped off the application. I am so worried now, as I have to return to work soon.
I'm pretty sure she's getting it back fast because she is only allowed to be in Hong Kong until October 10. If it weren't for the bind she is in, I've been told it is 2 to 4 weeks, and sometimes more than a month.

I think you will probably hear in the next couple of weeks - I hear it's about 5 to 5.5 months for the passport request (and then of course about another month by the time she sends in the passport, gets it back, and gets to Canada). We hired our nanny in late February, and almost immediately applied for an LMO. The entire process will have taken a total of about 8 months I think by the time it's all done. Such a long process.

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
IT'S A MIRACLE! We just heard that our nanny got her Visa! Thank the Lord this whole long stressful process is almost over. Now I just need to call Air Canada and get the nanny on a plane!

Thank you to all who responded and provided support on this board. It is so much appreciated!

:D

Ana Villanueva

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Hongkong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
Med's Done....
21-07-2014
Passport Req..
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-03-2015
lucybear05 said:
IT'S A MIRACLE! We just heard that our nanny got her Visa! Thank the Lord this whole long stressful process is almost over. Now I just need to call Air Canada and get the nanny on a plane!

Thank you to all who responded and provided support on this board. It is so much appreciated!

:D

Thank you lucybear05...

Leaf1977

Oct 20, 2014
Hi All,
We are waiting the arrival of our nanny. On the VFS website, her status has say 'Your Passport Status'. This has been since July. Her agency in Hong Kong says to just wait till she is requested to send through her passport.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this status and if this means she is close to being approved?

We began the process in January, with all of her submissions complete in July.

Appreciate you sharing your experiences as we patiently wait for our nanny to arrive with my wife already back at work.

All the best!

Ana Villanueva

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Hongkong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
Med's Done....
21-07-2014
Passport Req..
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-03-2015
Leaf1977 said:
Hi All,
We are waiting the arrival of our nanny. On the VFS website, her status has say 'Your Passport Status'. This has been since July. Her agency in Hong Kong says to just wait till she is requested to send through her passport.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this status and if this means she is close to being approved?

We began the process in January, with all of her submissions complete in July.

Appreciate you sharing your experiences as we patiently wait for our nanny to arrive with my wife already back at work.

All the best!

I'm also submit my application 3rd week of July but I'm not using agency I send it by myself. Most friend whom I talk with they received an approval letter after 5 mos. so let us wait for 2 more months.

By the way what was stated under 'your passport status'?

Ana Villanueva

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Hongkong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
Med's Done....
21-07-2014
Passport Req..
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-03-2015
Ryancory said:

Hi ryancory hows your nanny application? Any update please.

Leaf1977

Oct 20, 2014
Hi Ana,
Thanks for letting me know your timeline. That's what we are assuming as well. On the VFS website it just says 'Your Passport Status' and to call them for more information.

She finished applying on July 1, had to renew her passport but it looks like that didn't slow down the process as far as we know. We are hoping she gets her letter soon.

Good luck in your application! Hope it all works out for you.

Leaf1977

Oct 20, 2014
Hi again Ana,
When you enter your birthday and tracking number on the VFS site where you can track your application, if you don't mind sharing, could you tell me what your status is?

Thanks again!

Ryancory

Aug 11, 2014
Our nanny received her work permit approval after 5 month and 7 days. She is now submitted her passport to CIC. From what I have been told, it takes about 10 days for the visa stamp.
Hope you will receive your work permit approve soon.
BTW, she submitted her application on May 9.

Leaf1977

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks Ryancory. Good to know. Looks like a few people have reported about a 4-5 month turnaround so I guess November or early December will be the earliest.

All the best!

Ana Villanueva

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Hongkong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
Med's Done....
21-07-2014
Passport Req..
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-03-2015
Leaf1977 said:
Hi again Ana,
When you enter your birthday and tracking number on the VFS site where you can track your application, if you don't mind sharing, could you tell me what your status is?

Thanks again!

Your passPort status then there's a box at the bottom it says that your visa aPplication tracking no. Is being processed At the Canada visa office hongkong.

Leaf1977 please keep here posted!!! Thankx

Ana Villanueva

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Hongkong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
Med's Done....
21-07-2014
Passport Req..
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-03-2015
Ryancory said:
Our nanny received her work permit approval after 5 month and 7 days. She is now submitted her passport to CIC. From what I have been told, it takes about 10 days for the visa stamp.
Hope you will receive your work permit approve soon.
BTW, she submitted her application on May 9.

Thank you ryancory for updating us and for keep actived in this forum... :-*

Ryancory

Aug 11, 2014
My nanny in HK told me she still need to give a month termination notice to her employer. It means I still need to wait for another month after her visa stamp.
Pls share your experience. How soon your nanny can come to canada?
Thanks