+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LAWYER CHANGED HIS MIND ON LEGAL AID

dapanki

Jul 8, 2019
Am new to this forum.

I applied for refugee protection in montreal in 2016, my case has not been heard due to postponement of the hearing dates.

i received a call from my lawyer yesterday saying that he wont be able to accept legal aid anymore that i will have to pay him directly if i still want to retain him.

Is this normal, what can i do, please advice me

am really really confused, he has been the one representing me since 2016, all of a sudden he just decides to change his mind.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes this is possible. Reimbursement rates from legal aid are lower than general practice so I guess the lawyer has decided to no longer do legal aid. It is unfortunate but nothing you can do.

dapanki

Jul 8, 2019
Yes this is possible. Reimbursement rates from legal aid are lower than general practice so I guess the lawyer has decided to no longer do legal aid. It is unfortunate but nothing you can do.
thanks for your responce, do i go back to legal aid and inform them or what do you advice i should do at this point

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks for your responce, do i go back to legal aid and inform them or what do you advice i should do at this point
Yes you should go back to legal aid and they will decide if you qualify for more legal aid. I assume you have already had your initial hearing.