+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Latest Travel Restrictions 10/July/2020 : To finalize your permanent residence application but not settle here yet

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the detailed narrative and congratulations on your landing. I'm in the same situation as you and trying to figure out whether to fly or extend my COPR. Would you mind answering a couple of questions?

Did they agree to mail the PR card to an address outside Canada?

How long do you plan to stay in the country?

Thanks in advance.
You can’t mail a PR card to a non-Canadian address.

dsamerwyn

Mar 4, 2019
that's interesting , thank you for sharing.
but you guys are not afraid to travel back before you have the PR cards ?
We gave a friends address, so that's okay . We have quite a few friends here who will be travelling to india at some point of time after the pr cards are received so they can give it to us . And if we dont receive it we just apply for the prtd document

Reactions: Batina

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
We gave a friends address, so that's okay . We have quite a few friends here who will be travelling to india at some point of time after the pr cards are received so they can give it to us . And if we dont receive it we just apply for the prtd document
oh i see , well good luck guys , I hope everything works for you.
actually i am planning on doing the same , i have some business to finish till i move permanently.

my issue that i don't have any friends in Canada , so i am struggling with it - i am even just thinking about renting a room remotely via the internet and make the landlord ship the card to me :D - but i will have to pay a rent each month.

NMOT2

Aug 3, 2020
Hi guys, is it true that they won’t allow you to board the plane to land as a PR if you have a round trip ticket?

In my case, my ticket was part of an employment benefit package, which by default is a round trip ticket and I can’t choose otherwise. Even if the return date is, let’s say, 6 months from now, will there be an issue?
Also I will be leaving the job but will still be able to use the ticket afterwards

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi guys, is it true that they won’t allow you to board the plane to land as a PR if you have a round trip ticket?

In my case, my ticket was part of an employment benefit package, which by default is a round trip ticket and I can’t choose otherwise. Even if the return date is, let’s say, 6 months from now, will there be an issue?
Also I will be leaving the job but will still be able to use the ticket afterwards
I have never heard of that being an issue, I doubt they would know or ask you if you had a return ticket if you are coming as a PR to settle here.

Reactions: NMOT2

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Dear all,

I have been a quiet reader for a long time (almost 3 years) but today i feel like a have a moral obligation to share my story with you all.

• My journey starts on 12th December 2018 with AOR.
  • Remedics somewhere around October 2019
  • PPR on 12th December 2019
  • COPR + Visa stamp received on January 2020
  • VISA valid til October 2020.

I decided to take my chance in August since PPR holders are exempt from travel ban and since i went through PNP program to get my PPR, it was mandatory to travel to the destination province (Ontario)

So flight situation was like this:
Casablanca - Montreal "Layover around 8 hours" Montreal - Toronto

All formalities were done at Montreal PoE.

At the electronic counter: ( Took me 10min)
  • You have to scan your passport
  • To take a picture of yourself
  • To answer some questions about goods you are bringing, criminal record and goods to follow. (Yes or No questions)
  • At the end it generates a small form with your details *
  • You will need also to fill a form manually ( name, passport ,quarantine address and telephone number).

At Police counter: (Took me 5 min) officer was very friendly
  • You give your passport
  • The small printed form
  • The manual filled form
  • The police officer reminds you about the quarantine period and redirect you to the immigration counter

At the immigration counter: (Queue took 20 min and the formalities 10 min) officer was very friendly
You get a ticket number and wait for your turn
when its your turn the officer asks you the following:
  • Passport
  • COPR
  • Address for PR delivery
  • He then asks you to wait for 5min and then call you to welcome you as PR and tell that it requires 2 months to get the PR card.
  • He also said that you can apply for SIN online.
  • Reminds you about quarantine
  • Asks about how to get foods and drugs to which i respond online

Next:
  • Wait for the next flight at the airport
  • Arrived at Toronto
  • Took a cab to my destination
  • Quarantine myself (12 days to go)

That's pretty much it,
No one asks about soft landing, so i believe one have the right to flight back whenever he wants as long as he is able to get the PR card mailed abroad.
i think what really counts here is the email we all received about CORP issued before 18 March and the quarantine plan, the rest is not fully enforced.
What I have put in red text above. Yes, you can do whatever you want because it isn't specifically prohibited, but you are bending the rules if you come here for 3 weeks and leave again. They specifically are saying right now during covid that PR's that are just coming to land should only come now if you are planning to settle permanently. They don't want people coming here unless you are going to settle, probably because with covid they don't want more people coming into the country than is essential, potentially bringing covid with you, doing a soft landing during this time is not an essential reason to come.

Do you think what you are doing is acceptable, potentially bringing covid to Canada which is supposed to be your new home when you don't plan to stay. Your call I guess.

Doubleface72

Aug 2, 2020
What I have put in red text above. Yes, you can do whatever you want because it isn't specifically prohibited, but you are bending the rules if you come here for 3 weeks and leave again. They specifically are saying right now during covid that PR's that are just coming to land should only come now if you are planning to settle permanently. They don't want people coming here unless you are going to settle, probably because with covid they don't want more people coming into the country than is essential, potentially bringing covid with you, doing a soft landing during this time is not an essential reason to come.

Do you think what you are doing is acceptable, potentially bringing covid to Canada which is supposed to be your new home when you don't plan to stay. Your call I guess.
Hello,

"Do you think what you are doing is acceptable, potentially bringing covid to Canada which is supposed to be your new home when you don't plan to stay "

I never said i'm doing something , you are just assuming things !
I'm here to settle. what i have stated is just a fact based on my personal experience.

zombiebombay

Jul 22, 2020
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
18-09-2019
AOR Received.
06-10-2019
Passport Req..
04-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2020
Should we discuss Visa Extension post COPR Expiry, WebForm documents upload for Ready to Travel - in this thread itself?
Or should a new one be created.

FJK1982

Apr 14, 2020
Thanks everyone for their contributions on this thread it has been very helpful.

As you will all be aware, the travel restrictions got extended until end of August, unsurprisingly. I raised another webform on 16th July to ask for further clarification after receiving a fairly generic reply to my first - the reply to the first was received just before the update on 10th July and said we were exempt from travel restrictions and could fly to Canada (I then booked my flights and accom for anyone that didn't see my previous posts). I have not received a reply to my second webform. I am not passed the date for being able to get refunds for accom and doubt I will be able to postpone my flights now so I have little choice but to fly to Canada in a few days time (something I want to do - I do not want to try and extend COPR as per my previous posts). I also have a solid quarantine plan, it seems that this is the thing they are most bothered about.

It has been encouraging to hear that many people have not had any trouble during check-in and immigration process, but I am still anxious about doing all of this, especially as a lot of the stories are from people who are going to settle and don't have a return ticket anyway. I believe @FJK1982 is in a similar situation and is flying today, so, if you could let us know how it went it would be greatly appreciated.

On a similar theme has anyone heard of anyone being refused to board or turned away at immigration specifically because they plan to leave Canada sometime after they have completed quarantine?
Guys, i landed on 2nd aug, and i am soo happy that i took this decision and landed in order to avoid the hassle of asking my copr extension, as u are aware that i just landed temporarily for the sake of pr cards process, my landing experience was super smooth, immigration officer was a great guy, nothing has been asked and he just asked my pr cards delivery address, and took our signature on copr and kept the original one with him and handed over the other one to me, and said congratulations as you are now permanent residents and welcome to canada, just said please ensure to follow 14 days quarantine rule and thats it and we left to claim our baggage, this was my story, so i will personally encourage people if u want to do the soft landing before ur copr expiry pls do that, as asking copr extensiob is another headache, good luck all

Reactions: AmyRao

zombiebombay

Jul 22, 2020
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
18-09-2019
AOR Received.
06-10-2019
Passport Req..
04-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2020
Nice updates.

Soft landing to do or not is a BIG decision as it depends on risk perception/appetite, status of job and leave back home, and also money in hand.

Plus for Indians, getting a to and then a fro flight on VB itself is a big task, with Agents hogging many tickets nowadays.

You ensure you get SIN - if that's not available, then the trip is fruitless. Then you can convince employers of readiness to join work.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello,

"Do you think what you are doing is acceptable, potentially bringing covid to Canada which is supposed to be your new home when you don't plan to stay "

I never said i'm doing something , you are just assuming things !
I'm here to settle. what i have stated is just a fact based on my personal experience.
I realize from your provious post that have already landed. it was not meant to be addressed to you specifically. It was to be a reply for others reading the thread, pointing out that IRCC/CBSA are saying that they don't want people to be doing soft landings right now.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019

FJK1982

Apr 14, 2020

Nothing has been asked, i am not sure why people is having in their mind that return ticket might create issue so only get one way tickey, frankly speaking no one is asking ur ticket details and no one is having a time to even look into that, u dont have to show to anyone, so just relax me myself travelled with return ticket hence the reason telling you, dont overthink or panic urself for these reasons just try to enter and have a fool peoof plan of 14 day quarantine and thats all what they need, thanks

Batina

Jul 30, 2020
Nothing has been asked, i am not sure why people is having in their mind that return ticket might create issue so only get one way tickey, frankly speaking no one is asking ur ticket details and no one is having a time to even look into that, u dont have to show to anyone, so just relax me myself travelled with return ticket hence the reason telling you, dont overthink or panic urself for these reasons just try to enter and have a fool peoof plan of 14 day quarantine and thats all what they need, thanks
A poster flying in from Taiwan was refused because he had a return ticket yesterday I think. So I guess it depends on location. May I ask where you flew in from?