+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Latest Travel Restrictions 10/July/2020 : To finalize your permanent residence application but not settle here yet

DC888

Star Member
May 22, 2020
I am in the same boat. I raised a webform to try and get clarity on this issue at the start of July. I got a generic response on the 8th saying if we have COPR before 18th March I am exempt from travel restrictions and no mention of soft landings not being allowed. I booked flights and accom for start of Aug that night because of the response I got from IRCC and was relieved. Then they changed their website on the 10th that added this rule. So now I don't know what to do. I am going to raise another webform today and ask for an answer one way or the other.

FJK1982

Apr 14, 2020
Guys, i started this thread and i am like most of the people who have valid copr and want to do soft landing. The news came in on 10/July/2020 and i started this thread, my flight is on 2nd August and back on 29th August, and still thinking what to do, i have a whats app group and one of the lady has travelled on 12th July and nothing has been asked at immigration, (this might because the updates was relatively new and they immigration dont bother to deny the entry - that is my assumption), anyways, i have another family who is travelling on 17th July which is tomorrow and another on 24th July, but both going permanently. I have asked them to share their experience if the immigration is asking these question such as if you are here on permanent basis or not or there any undertaking letter need to be signed. I will keep you posted on this.

On the other note, i wrote and email to IRCC on 11th July and informed them about my situation that my CoPR is ging to expire on 01 Sep and its impossible for me to take the permanent landing decision now as my tickets has been booked (i shared the booking confirmation to them as well) and wrote full story and asked them that i can travel for 30 days, as i have a lot of things to do in canada such as processing my PR cards, opening a bank account, 14 days quarantine as well as applying for my SIN, unfortunately the answer what i got from them is very generic and they just referred me to the webstie and the link. thats all! i received the reply yesterday only.

Lastly, 1 guy i know he is flying on 1st august and planning to be back on 30 Aug, so i am in touch with him - if he enters successfully means no need to worry and i will follow him and fly accordingly.

I will keep you posted on the outcome of the people who are landing soon, also i will appreciate if you guys post some useful information once you have them for the benefit for all.

Thanks guys.

DC888

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Guys, i started this thread and i am like most of the people who have valid copr and want to do soft landing. The news came in on 10/July/2020 and i started this thread, my flight is on 2nd August and back on 29th August, and still thinking what to do, i have a whats app group and one of the lady has travelled on 12th July and nothing has been asked at immigration, (this might because the updates was relatively new and they immigration dont bother to deny the entry - that is my assumption), anyways, i have another family who is travelling on 17th July which is tomorrow and another on 24th July, but both going permanently. I have asked them to share their experience if the immigration is asking these question such as if you are here on permanent basis or not or there any undertaking letter need to be signed. I will keep you posted on this.

On the other note, i wrote and email to IRCC on 11th July and informed them about my situation that my CoPR is ging to expire on 01 Sep and its impossible for me to take the permanent landing decision now as my tickets has been booked (i shared the booking confirmation to them as well) and wrote full story and asked them that i can travel for 30 days, as i have a lot of things to do in canada such as processing my PR cards, opening a bank account, 14 days quarantine as well as applying for my SIN, unfortunately the answer what i got from them is very generic and they just referred me to the webstie and the link. thats all! i received the reply yesterday only.

Lastly, 1 guy i know he is flying on 1st august and planning to be back on 30 Aug, so i am in touch with him - if he enters successfully means no need to worry and i will follow him and fly accordingly.

I will keep you posted on the outcome of the people who are landing soon, also i will appreciate if you guys post some useful information once you have them for the benefit for all.

Thanks guys.
That's great, thanks for sharing. I too raised another webform today asking them to essentially give me the go-ahead to travel. I will let you know what response I get.

The Canadian government seem to give an indication that the US border restrictions are to be extended, several days before they are due to expire. Last month we waited until the day other international travel restrictions were due to expire for news. I don't see why they can't announce if they are going to extend these restrictions ahead of the expiry date.

Tweetbird

Jun 14, 2019
What exactly does "soft landing" mean? If a person is landing to settle permanently, but still needs to travel out of Canada after 2 or 3 months to visit family and wrap up/sell off/bring more remaining stuff, then come back to Canada, then?

Tweetbird

Jun 14, 2019
What I have learned is this - you can travel but please be aware that the border officials will make a considerable fuss over it. Chances are that you will be denied entry as well. This I have found through recent travellers to Canada that have decided to stay there permanently or for extended period of time. I am still waiting for official confirmation.
What questions did they ask those people who entered Canada for an extended period of time? What exactly does "soft landing" mean? What is the time period?

Tweetbird

Jun 14, 2019
What exactly does "soft landing" mean? If a person is landing to settle permanently, but still needs to travel out of Canada after 2 or 3 months to visit family and wrap up/sell off/bring more remaining stuff, then come back to Canada, then?
@legalfalcon can you please offer any advice/your thoughts?

priyankaheber

Jul 16, 2020

Thanks guys.
Hi,

We did contact CBSA too, a lady answered and she informed that we can still travel as we are quarantining ourselves for 14days.

FJK1982

Apr 14, 2020
That's great, thanks for sharing. I too raised another webform today asking them to essentially give me the go-ahead to travel. I will let you know what response I get.

The Canadian government seem to give an indication that the US border restrictions are to be extended, several days before they are due to expire. Last month we waited until the day other international travel restrictions were due to expire for news. I don't see why they can't announce if they are going to extend these restrictions ahead of the expiry date.
O lot of if's and but's.... not sure but we are sure we will get it through....

hasandhu

Aug 30, 2019
Hi Guys,

Is there anyone who has traveled and did the soft landing and also able to return back to their home country. As me and my wife are planning to do a soft landing and want to return back as both of us dont want to leave the job in hand and move to Canada right now when we dont know the job market situation in Canada.

We can quarantine ourselves for 14 days, as required but IRCC website is currently discouraging the temporary travel and soft landing (as mentioned on their websites)

Please help with the same guys. I want to know what ppl in similar situations are doing and planning ?

GKCanada1

Jul 15, 2020
Hi Guys,

Is there anyone who has traveled and did the soft landing and also able to return back to their home country. As me and my wife are planning to do a soft landing and want to return back as both of us dont want to leave the job in hand and move to Canada right now when we dont know the job market situation in Canada.

We can quarantine ourselves for 14 days, as required but IRCC website is currently discouraging the temporary travel and soft landing (as mentioned on their websites)

Please help with the same guys. I want to know what ppl in similar situations are doing and planning ?
I think FJK1982 will share what happens as he is the only one with the access to people that are going there.

Reactions: AmyRao

AmyRao

Jul 17, 2020
Hi Guys,

Hi, we are in the similar situation and we haven't booked our tickets yet. Waiting for the air travel restrictions to be lifted around July end and then decide. Yes, the latest tweets and updates by IRCC imply that soft landings are discouraged. The entry might not be a problem as long as we don't tell we want to mere finalize the application and move back, however my concern is the immigration while coming back. Waiting to see if anyone knows and replies on this forum about the same.

Reactions: hasandhu

AmyRao

Jul 17, 2020
Hi,
Could you please share your contact information so that we can join your whatsapp group as we are on the same boat.

We did contact CBSA too, a lady answered and she informed that we can still travel as we are quarantining ourselves for 14days.
Hi Priyanka, please let us know, sailing in the same boat and haven't booked any tickets yet. Not ready to move permanently given the job situation.

Reactions: hasandhu