Step 3: citizenship officer

IllaBee

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bambino said:
And would suggest that:
1) If you had taken the time to read this forum, you would have realized that this has been discussed at length;
2) Writing in caps is the equivalent of shouting, and generally considered to be rude; and
3) Asking someone to, in essence, shut up is even ruder.

An appropriate response to my initial comment would have been: "Gee, I didn't know that information had been available since last year. I got a little too excited, sorry if I made others think that there's been some breaking citizenship news."
your point has been irrelevant from your initial response to your most recent. Again, if you felt this has already been discussed in a different thread why even bother to respond? Please DO NOT RESPOND! Yes, now am screaming. I guess you're the forum police. Please!! find something better to do. We are finished here!

IllaBee

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mark1987 said:
The information that you are providing through this website are false. It was never reviewed by 2 citizenship judges and in the end 3 citizenship officers.
As you can see, that information provided was copied and pasted here verbatim from the site in question (link provided).

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
IllaBee said:
your point has been irrelevant from your initial response to your most recent. Again, if you felt this has already been discussed in a different thread why even bother to respond? Please DO NOT RESPOND! Yes, now am screaming. I guess you're the forum police. Please!! find something better to do. We are finished here!
whats wrong with you? you seem very angry for something irrelevant.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Observations:

Actually I too noticed that CIC did just publish this "news" online fairly recently, at a web page that was not linked in its "news" feed but which popped up in response to a general internet search last week -- but which I just tried to duplicate and could not. (I do internet searches fairly often looking for any news about the effective date of Bill C-24 provisions, just in case some source gets real information about this.)

I thought of posting something about it because it also included a statement to the effect that the government plans to accelerate, ahead of the other provisions (such as those governing residency), implementation of those parts of Bill C-24 which amend the grounds and process for revoking citizenship.

The CIC page displayed this information as if it is "news" even though it was not news to anyone following the grant citizenship application process, since it happened last August 1, 2014 and there were numerous sources reflecting the change, including an August 1 CIC news release (if this link works), a graphic showing the one-step process (online by CIC August 1, 2014), the Gazette in its August notices, and of course the online version of the Consolidated Acts was updated to reflect that these particular provisions had come into force (I do not recall for sure when the Act as published online was updated, around October I think it was).

But I too had noticed this recent CIC online posting about the one-step process and was wondering (1) why CIC was just now publishing this online (although it was also used to, essentially, brag about how many applications were processed in 2014) and (2) why it was not included in its newsroom links. And now, today, I wonder why I can no longer find it.

It is easy to understand why many would think this was indeed news, since what was involved in the provisions which came into force last August 1, 2014 has not had any obvious impact. For the routine applicant what appears to happen is no different now than it was before, except that CIC claims these changes are dramatically improving routine application processing times, and will reduce timelines to "less than a year." However, large numbers of routinely processed citizenship applications were being processed in well less than a year long prior to even the second reading of Bill C-24 (I took the oath in March 2014, barely eight months after applying, and there were others at my ceremony who were processed in just seven months).

While many of us participating in this (and other forums) are well familiar with the changes which took effect last August, I continue to see questions posed in the forums which indicate there are many, many who do not know about the changes which took effect last August, including many for whom it makes a difference (residency cases in the post-test, waiting for the next-step phase).

Again, the change is not particularly apparent to routine applicants, who for the most part experience being scheduled for the test/interview followed by taking the oath, which is the same as it was before . . . the difference is what happens at CIC. Before the routine application was referred to the CJ for a file review, which was largely perfunctory and resulted in the CJ signing off on it, that is giving approval, and then CIC scheduled the oath. Now it goes to a Citizenship Officer instead of a CJ.

Even before (including for me), the oath was often scheduled before the applicant even appeared for the test/interview, and for some the oath was scheduled for the same day as the test/interview (mine was scheduled for two days later than my interview, I was test exempt).

Thus, again, for the majority of applicants, the new so-called one-step process really does not have any apparent impact on the processing of their application . . . unless, as CIC claims, it does help to reduce overall timelines.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
dpenabill said:
Observations:

Actually I too noticed that CIC did just publish this "news" online fairly recently, at a web page that was not linked in its "news" feed but which popped up in response to a general internet search last week -- but which I just tried to duplicate and could not. (I do internet searches fairly often looking for any news about the effective date of Bill C-24 provisions, just in case some source gets real information about this.)

I thought of posting something about it because it also included a statement to the effect that the government plans to accelerate, ahead of the other provisions (such as those governing residency), implementation of those parts of Bill C-24 which amend the grounds and process for revoking citizenship.

The CIC page displayed this information as if it is "news" even though it was not news to anyone following the grant citizenship application process, since it happened last August 1, 2014 and there were numerous sources reflecting the change, including an August 1 CIC news release (if this link works), a graphic showing the one-step process (online by CIC August 1, 2014), the Gazette in its August notices, and of course the online version of the Consolidated Acts was updated to reflect that these particular provisions had come into force (I do not recall for sure when the Act as published online was updated, around October I think it was).

But I too had noticed this recent CIC online posting about the one-step process and was wondering (1) why CIC was just now publishing this online (although it was also used to, essentially, brag about how many applications were processed in 2014) and (2) why it was not included in its newsroom links. And now, today, I wonder why I can no longer find it.

It is easy to understand why many would think this was indeed news, since what was involved in the provisions which came into force last August 1, 2014 has not had any obvious impact. For the routine applicant what appears to happen is no different now than it was before, except that CIC claims these changes are dramatically improving routine application processing times, and will reduce timelines to "less than a year." However, large numbers of routinely processed citizenship applications were being processed in well less than a year long prior to even the second reading of Bill C-24 (I took the oath in March 2014, barely eight months after applying, and there were others at my ceremony who were processed in just seven months).

While many of us participating in this (and other forums) are well familiar with the changes which took effect last August, I continue to see questions posed in the forums which indicate there are many, many who do not know about the changes which took effect last August, including many for whom it makes a difference (residency cases in the post-test, waiting for the next-step phase).

Again, the change is not particularly apparent to routine applicants, who for the most part experience being scheduled for the test/interview followed by taking the oath, which is the same as it was before . . . the difference is what happens at CIC. Before the routine application was referred to the CJ for a file review, which was largely perfunctory and resulted in the CJ signing off on it, that is giving approval, and then CIC scheduled the oath. Now it goes to a Citizenship Officer instead of a CJ.

Even before (including for me), the oath was often scheduled before the applicant even appeared for the test/interview, and for some the oath was scheduled for the same day as the test/interview (mine was scheduled for two days later than my interview, I was test exempt).

Thus, again, for the majority of applicants, the new so-called one-step process really does not have any apparent impact on the processing of their application . . . unless, as CIC claims, it does help to reduce overall timelines.
I would add not only routine applications were processed in less than a year, but most of applications.
I have myself applied in 2006 Aug, test in Jan 2007 (I had my passport lost), received the RQ in April with appointment for hearing with a CJ in May. By July 2007 I received the decision of denial. 11 mts for the whole process, where on CIC website was posted a routine application would take 13mts and a non-routine 24mts.

There is maybe something we dont get for why there are cases taking way too long.

basharar

Nov 5, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hmm, Here is what the official government site says, there are no mention of 2 judges and 3 officers...

"Under the new streamlined decision-making model, citizenship officers will decide all aspects of a citizenship application. Under the old model, obtaining citizenship was a three-step process that involved duplication of work"