+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Late registration for public schools

Mar 14, 2018
Hello- I am likely to relocate to Montreal Canada in about 4 months. Going through the school board websites, it appears elementary public school registration happens in February for September enrollment (my daughter is 5) . If you miss that timeline like I have there was no mention of a late registration process. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello- I am likely to relocate to Montreal Canada in about 4 months. Going through the school board websites, it appears elementary public school registration happens in February for September enrollment (my daughter is 5) . If you miss that timeline like I have there was no mention of a late registration process. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Thats when the registration starts. Since you are not in Canada you are not expected to register until you move. Same as Canadians who are planning to move before the next school year. When you have proof of where you will be living go to the local school and register. You have options between catholic and secular school boards and there may a French immersion option if you are ineterested. There may not be spots available for things like French immersion depending on demand. It is not a big deal so don't worry. Once you have proof of where you are living go to the school and they will help you. It is pretty common. Also most parents have no idea registration opens in February. My friend went on the first morning and she was the only one there.

Mar 14, 2018
Thats when the registration starts. Since you are not in Canada you are not expected to register until you move. Same as Canadians who are planning to move before the next school year. When you have proof of where you will be living go to the local school and register. You have options between catholic and secular school boards and there may a French immersion option if you are ineterested. There may not be spots available for things like French immersion depending on demand. It is not a big deal so don't worry. Once you have proof of where you are living go to the school and they will help you. It is pretty common. Also most parents have no idea registration opens in February. My friend went on the first morning and she was the only one there.
Thanks a lot, this is very helpful. Based on my research and reading other threads in this forum, I have concluded the following:
1) We are not eligible for english public schools
2) The French public schools are not bilingual, they teach all subjects in French and will introduce English as a second language, not sure if Ecole internationale de Montreal is an exception but they say on their website all registration has been completed.
3) The other (expensive) option are private, non funded English schools which for elementary are the German International School, Academie Marie-Claire, Ecole-Socrates-Demosthene, Ecole la Nouvelle Vague, Academie Vaudrin Academy

If I am way off in any of the above, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot, this is very helpful. Based on my research and reading other threads in this forum, I have concluded the following:
1) We are not eligible for english public schools
2) The French public schools are not bilingual, they teach all subjects in French and will introduce English as a second language, not sure if Ecole internationale de Montreal is an exception but they say on their website all registration has been completed.
3) The other (expensive) option are private, non funded English schools which for elementary are the German International School, Academie Marie-Claire, Ecole-Socrates-Demosthene, Ecole la Nouvelle Vague, Academie Vaudrin Academy

If I am way off in any of the above, please let me know. Thanks a lot!
Sorry missed that you were moving to Montreal. All Frech immersion in Canada is all subjects taught in French with the exception of an English class. Your daughter is 5 go with French school. It will be a quick transition and there are many benefits to being bilingual. Living in Montreal is doable without English but much easier when you know French. As a young person it will be expected accept in a few very English areas.

Mar 14, 2018
Sorry missed that you were moving to Montreal. All Frech immersion in Canada is all subjects taught in French with the exception of an English class. Your daughter is 5 go with French school. It will be a quick transition and there are many benefits to being bilingual. Living in Montreal is doable without English but much easier when you know French. As a young person it will be expected accept in a few very English areas.
Thanks again, this is clear and we are looking forward to slowly pick up French and becoming bilingual. We are just a bit concerned about say maths being taught in French and hypothetically if we get transferred to Ontario the adjustment to it being taught in English. Hence, wanted to explore the unfunded bilingual private school option as well (even though expensive). Browsing online, I came to the conclusion German International School, Academie Marie-Claire, Ecole-Socrates-Demosthene, Ecole la Nouvelle Vague, Academie Vaudrin Academy were the only options.....please advise if this seems broadly correct. Thanks a lot!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks again, this is clear and we are looking forward to slowly pick up French and becoming bilingual. We are just a bit concerned about say maths being taught in French and hypothetically if we get transferred to Ontario the adjustment to it being taught in English. Hence, wanted to explore the unfunded bilingual private school option as well (even though expensive). Browsing online, I came to the conclusion German International School, Academie Marie-Claire, Ecole-Socrates-Demosthene, Ecole la Nouvelle Vague, Academie Vaudrin Academy were the only options.....please advise if this seems broadly correct. Thanks a lot!
There are other English private schools like ECS. Sure there is a complete list on the internet. French immersion is available across the country and most Canadian students do their post secondary schooling in English. Not really a big deal.