+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Last name issue

vancouverite

Feb 7, 2011
Hello All,

I will soon be getting maried and will be eventually filling out my wife to be's sponsorship papers. I had the following question:-

A. Her and her parents last names on the passport do not match. He last name is "X" and her fahters is "Y". I was wondering if this will create some sorr of an issue at CIC?

B. Should I have her change her last name to mine on he passport before filing the application? (She will eventually change her last name "X" to mine "Z"). What I am trying to get to is that is it necesary to have this done? If so must it be done before applying or can we change it in between the process? Such things take time and the passport office will take a month to almost send her a new one...so I wanted to cut down on the time.

C. A Police clearence certificate, does this also have to be issued on her new last name or name before our marriage?

My last question is for the form IMM 1344. Question 8 a) Your Marital stauts asks for a field ......... Date or Marriage & Date relationship started.

What do they mean by Date relationship started?

Thanky uo for your help.

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
A) Does her father's name appear as Y on her birth certificate too? If yes, I see no reason for an issue; if yes (i.e. he has one last name on her birth certificate and another one on his passport), attach a letter explaining why and how that happened.

B) It's possible to update your visa office with a name change (or any other document or piece of information, for that matter( while the application is still in process, after you've received your file number. Send proof of name change and a copy of her new passport, and PR card will be issued in her married name.

C) To the best of my knowledge, police clearances will generally be issued in whatever name is on a current, valid official document, and should be sent with the rest of the application (so if you guys submit it before she changes her name, it will be in her maiden name). However, I don't think name change is a reason for needing a new one... but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Worst case scenario, she'll get another police clearance if they request it.

'The date relationship started' is for people applying as common-law couples; you will be putting the date of your wedding,