+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language Proof - Certificate in English Language Foundation

stellahello

Star Member
Aug 1, 2013
Hi all,

My brother is about to apply for Canadian citizenship. He is now an university student so no diploma or dgree has been given. However, he took English Language Foundation courses at a public university to study in his major and received a certificate with respect to it. I wonder if he is allowed to use the certificate as language proof evidence. Please advise me.

Thank you!

Steel Detailer

Jul 15, 2014
stellahello said:
Hi all,

My brother is about to apply for Canadian citizenship. He is now an university student so no diploma or dgree has been given. However, he took English Language Foundation courses at a public unicersity to study in his major and received a cerficate with respect to it. I wonder if he is allowed to use the cerficate as language proof evidence. Please advise me.

Thank you!
As far as I know he can use it. Any course taken using English language and have the certification he finished the course is acceptable... Or else you can call CIC for verification as well. Cheers and Good luck.

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
No. He cannot use it as the proof of language ability, as it is not a diploma that he earned from a secondary or post-secondary program.

stellahello said:
Hi all,

My brother is about to apply for Canadian citizenship. He is now an university student so no diploma or dgree has been given. However, he took English Language Foundation courses at a public university to study in his major and received a certificate with respect to it. I wonder if he is allowed to use the certificate as language proof evidence. Please advise me.

Thank you!

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
CELPIP or IELTS only if you don't have a diploma or degree in Canada or English speaking countries like US, UK, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand.

2c

Star Member
May 19, 2008
I never took any formal English course through out my life.

I have always shown my educational documents which most of the time suffice the purpose.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
You can also use a certificate from LINC with a rating of minimum 4 or higher to qualify as well.

Screech339

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
2c said:
I never took any formal English course through out my life.

I have always shown my educational documents which most of the time suffice the purpose.
By "educational documents" you mean your diploma or degree from an English speaking country? or just an English course?

As others have pointed out it has to be a degree or diploma or IELTS/CELPIP/LINC.

Stellahello, if your brother is going to use a certificate of his foundation course, he may want to call CIC to make sure its acceptable. Don't risk it, especially with with rules coming into force next year, you don't want to delay the application and fall into the new rules.

Ray

stellahello

Star Member
Aug 1, 2013
Thank you all for the responses. We ended up calling CIC to make sure before we send the application. I was told that it is up to the officer working on his application. The certificate from a public university can be acceptable or not as there is no specific requirement with respect to what kinds of certificate is acceptable. Having been told that, we may go ahead with the certificate and send his degree later upon his graduation as additional documents or take one of the tests.

Now I wonder if we can only take CLB test to evaluate what LINC level we will be. If he received the level of LINC 6, will they issue the letter indicating he has passed level 4 or something like this?

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
stellahello said:
Thank you all for the responses. We ended up calling CIC to make sure before we send the application. I was told that it is up to the officer working on his application. The certificate from a public university can be acceptable or not as there is no specific requirement with respect to what kinds of certificate is acceptable. Having been told that, we may go ahead with the certificate and send his degree later upon his graduation as additional documents or take one of the tests.

Now I wonder if we can only take CLB test to evaluate what LINC level we will be. If he received the level of LINC 6, will they issue the letter indicating he has passed level 4 or something like this?
You can take it from the YMCA. My wife just did it last week. Call and book an appointment she got one the next day.

stellahello

Star Member
Aug 1, 2013
davek1979 said:
You can take it from the YMCA. My wife just did it last week. Call and book an appointment she got one the next day.
Thank you! And she passed level 4 right away? I called them to have some information and was told why we want to take the test instead of taking celpip. They also said that he is a university so there is no point to take CLB to take LINC course. (There might not be suitable level for him) I was trying to convince the staff member saying that we do not want to spent extra money to take celpip. They were kept saying the same thing like take celpip.

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
stellahello said:
Thank you! And she passed level 4 right away? I called them to have some information and was told why we want to take the test instead of taking celpip. They also said that he is a university so there is no point to take CLB to take LINC course. (There might not be suitable level for him) I was trying to convince the staff member saying that we do not want to spent extra money to take celpip. They were kept saying the same thing like take celpip.
In my opinion (so it take with a grain of salt), it is best to take CELPIP/IELTS/LINC, as you know it will be accepted (assuming he gets the required score). If you sent in the university transcripts, as the CIC agent told you, the agent may or may not accept it. But with an approved test, getting the required score, there is no doubt in the agents mind and will be accepted.

I understand the issue of cost, but balance that against the importance of getting the citizenship, especially with the upcoming change in law. Would you be ok with potentially delaying the application, if you take that risk. That's a decision only you (and your brother) can make.

Ray

stellahello

Star Member
Aug 1, 2013
raymasa said:
In my opinion (so it take with a grain of salt), it is best to take CELPIP/IELTS/LINC, as you know it will be accepted (assuming he gets the required score). If you sent in the university transcripts, as the CIC agent told you, the agent may or may not accept it. But with an approved test, getting the required score, there is no doubt in the agents mind and will be accepted.

I understand the issue of cost, but balance that against the importance of getting the citizenship, especially with the upcoming change in law. Would you be ok with potentially delaying the application, if you take that risk. That's a decision only you (and your brother) can make.

Ray

Yes, I totally understand what you mean. The best way of getting relief is to take one of those test. We just wanted to use the document we already had. But again, do not want to take any risk either. So he will be taking the test as soon as pissible and send his application. I really approciate you taking the time to provide me comments.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
The way LINC works is that first you need to get an evaluation done to determine what level of LINC you are. You are not going to get a certificate from that. If you are determined to be level 6, you would have to take a 6-8 weeks (once a week) course to complete the level 6. Once you complete it, you will then get a LINC certificate with level 6 on it.

Screech339

Steel Detailer

Jul 15, 2014
pie_vancouver said:
CELPIP or IELTS only if you don't have a diploma or degree in Canada or English speaking countries like US, UK, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand.
I'm sorry but I opt to disagree with you "pie_vancouver" saying that only Diplomas or Degrees in ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRIES are acceptable. CIC is accepting all Diplomas/Degrees or just even English Courses taken from all countries as long as it taken using English language as the major form of communication in any Universities/Schools around the world. Having said that all Diplomas/Degrees from all countries are accepted if it's written in English. My proof is based on my experience - I used my Philippines Diploma/Degree as my Language Proof Doc. No issues at all. Cheers :)

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........