Language Eligibility for Citizenship - Low CLB scores in Reading and Writing

zelen

Jun 20, 2013
My wife recently took CELPIP and received the following scores:

Listening - 4

Reading - 3

Speaking - 5

Writing - 5

CIC stipulates language proficiency of level 4 CLB for English in Speaking and Listening. However, will the lower proficiency in reading affect her application.

Could anyone share if they have been through a similar situation

Many Thanks

Reactions: Gebrial

Gebrial

Aug 15, 2018
They only looking for speaking and listening. Reading and writing won’t effect grant of citizenship. As you can see on cic website reading and writing aren’t mentioned.

What language level do I need when I apply for citizenship?
If you are between the ages of 18 and 54 on the date you sign your application, you must meet the Canadian Language Benchmarks Level 4 (CLB 4) or higher in speaking and listening.

This means to become a Canadian citizen you must show that you have an adequate knowledge of English or French by providing, with your citizenship application, proof that you can speak and listen in English or French at CLB/NCLC 4 level or higher.

Learn how we measure your ability to speak and listen in English or French using CLB/NCLC.

Reactions: zelen

withhardshipcomesease

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
My husband has low scores in reading and writing, is there any way they'd consider that when arranging his test? I mean, could he get an interview instead of a written one?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband has low scores in reading and writing, is there any way they'd consider that when arranging his test? I mean, could he get an interview instead of a written one?
It sounds like you are asking about the citizenship test.

He is required to take the written citizenship test. It will test his knowledge of Canada including history, how the government is structured, what rights citizens have and other areas. It's written to confirm an applicant's knowledge of English or French (as well as ensure they have read and memorized the test materials). If he fails the test, he will have to appear in front of a judge to prove his English/French knowledge is sufficient to qualify for citizenship. If his language abilities aren't strong enough to pass the test, then you should assume he will fail the judge interview as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I see..

That's the kind of confusion one gets if a forum member hijacks a clearly communicated thread talking about language requirements for citizenship.

In cases like this it is best to create a new thread with a proper question relating to the problem on hand.

withhardshipcomesease

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
If he fails the test, he will have to appear in front of a judge to prove his English/French knowledge is sufficient to qualify for citizenship. If his language abilities aren't strong enough to pass the test, then you should assume he will fail the judge interview as well.
Yes that's what I was looking for!
Thank you :)

withhardshipcomesease

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
I see..

That's the kind of confusion one gets if a forum member hijacks a clearly communicated thread talking about language requirements for citizenship.

In cases like this it is best to create a new thread with a proper question relating to the problem on hand.
I felt that since it was related to language, rather than spamming the forum with a question that only needs a short answer, to just ask here.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@scylla has provided good observations.

No need to pay any attention to troll-criticisms which offer no semblance of either an answer to the question posed or any on-topic observations.

I would further note, largely emphasizing the observations offered by @scylla, that the knowledge test inherently ALSO tests the applicant's language abilities. In this regard, it warrants a reminder, even though an applicant must provide specified documentation to prove language ability in one of the official languages, the interview constitutes further screening of language ability in addition to the fact that the knowledge test also inherently tests the applicant's language ability.

The over all timeline for the process will typically be quite a bit longer if the applicant fails the knowledge test.

And of course the applicant must pass the knowledge test (unless exempted) to obtain the grant of citizenship.

A small clarification about the process (applicant gets two tries and oral alternative is administered by a Citizenship Officer):

The applicant is generally given TWO tries to pass the WRITTEN knowledge test. If the applicant fails the SECOND attempt, generally that will result in a hearing before a Citizenship Officer (NOT a Citizenship Judge -- Citizenship Judges now have a very limited role, largely limited to presence cases, in citizenship application decision-making).

In particular, the current Program Delivery Instructions (see link below) for interviewing adult citizenship applicants describes a number of "scenarios" for which a hearing will be held, including when the applicant "fails the written citizenship test on a second attempt." Another scenario described suggest that an applicant can WAIVE either the written test or a re-test, and request a Citizenship Officer hearing. To be specific, the PDI states that there may be a citizenship officer hearing in the scenario where . . .
-- "the applicant waives their right to a written test or a re-test and requests a hearing (where the knowledge test will be administered orally)"​

Thus, it does appear that an applicant who knows his or her reading ability will preclude passing a written test can waive the written test and proceed to an oral test before a Citizenship Officer, and this might significantly reduce the timeline. HOWEVER, unless the applicant simply cannot read much at all in either of the official languages, the multiple choice format of the written test is PROBABLY easier than an oral test. And again, the applicant is given two tries for the written test.

As I noted above, the interview also constitutes further screening of the applicant's ability in an official language (in addition to the documentation that applicants must submit with the application), and thus another scenario in which an applicant may be required to appear before a Citizenship Officer is where the interviewer (referred to as an "official" in the PDI) concludes the applicant does not meet the language ability requirement; in particular, the PDI states that a citizenship officer hearing may be required in the scenario where . . .
-- "an official feels that the applicant cannot understand or express basic information in one of the official languages (despite the provision of language evidence at the time of application)"​

Some References/Links:

Citizenship Decision-making procedures:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/decision-making-procedures.html

Citizenship interview of adult applicants:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/interviewing-adult-applicants.html
(this references a "hearing" before a Citizenship Officer if an applicant has failed the written test ON A SECOND ATTEMPT, and also includes the quoted description above about waiving written test and proceeding to an oral test in a hearing conducted by a Citizenship Officer)

Referral of application to Citizenship Judges:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/referring-applications-judge.html