+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language course while a visitor

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Hi,

I have a sudden doubt. I understand that while a visitor in Canada, I cannot enroll in any educational institution or take any "academic, professional, vocational or other education or training in Canada", whatever the duration. (The less than six months rule only applies from the time of entry in Canada, after that, any duration of study requires a study permit).

I now wonder if this also includes language courses such as beginner German courses 2 hours a week over the course of a few months taken at an educational institution (not at home tutoring or the like). If so, is this something that should be addressed on a letter of explanation along with a PR application?

This is a rather specific case, if anybody has had a similar experience or knows some piece of legislation that would make this clearer, that would be amazing.

Thank you all for your time

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my case when I first came to Canada (as a visitor) I studied at a language school for 5 months as:

"Exceptions
In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.

If you wish to study in a short-term course or program
You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-who.asp

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
In my case when I first came to Canada (as a visitor) I studied at a language school for 5 months as:

"Exceptions
In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.

If you wish to study in a short-term course or program
You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-who.asp
Right, however this exception only applies if you take a program that last six months or less from within the time you enter Canada as a visitor. So, in the event you extend you visitor status after the initial six months for instance, you'll not be able to attend any educational institution past the initial six months, no matter the duration of the program/course you are taking. A subtle point I only learned recently and which is (unfortunately) not explicitly stated on the CIC website.