+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landing

Libby9

Aug 17, 2007
can anybody tell me is needed at the border?? We received a letter from CIC requesting passports, and we will be doing this in person in Buffalo since you can get them back the same day. Do they give you a PR card when they return you passport??? What else do we need to go through into Canada???

shabab

Star Member
Jan 25, 2007
Libby9 said:
can anybody tell me is needed at the border?? We received a letter from CIC requesting passports, and we will be doing this in person in Buffalo since you can get them back the same day. Do they give you a PR card when they return you passport??? What else do we need to go through into Canada???
Documents to be served at the Border:
Passport with Canadian Immigrant Visa
Confirmation of Permanent Residence Letter (also known as Landing Document)
Funds (in the form of certified checks/drafts etc)
List of Goods to Follow

After you are done with the Immigration at the Border, they will send you the PR Card at the address notified to them by you.

Shabab

Bluff Master

Star Member
Feb 12, 2008
I am just curious; I heard that it takes almost a month to get a PR card. Is it true? What are the first things we need to do after landing in Canada?

I got my medical done last week. I am planning to preapare myself for the tough time ahead.

Thanks.

nomlah

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
Bluff Master said:
I am just curious; I heard that it takes almost a month to get a PR card. Is it true? What are the first things we need to do after landing in Canada?

I got my medical done last week. I am planning to preapare myself for the tough time ahead.

Thanks.
Hi,
Do not worry about PR Card. It is their job, they will send you. Do some practice of driving and prepare yourself for driving test written and in car. After landing apply for SIN Card. Check the web site http://thinkingofcanada.com, you will find enough information on what you should do before and after landing in Canada AND what you are going to face in Canada.

Good Luck

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Bluff Master said:

Thanks.
Yes, it takes about a month to get your PR card from the time you arrive. Other than finding a permanent place to live, here are some of the other things you should do:

1) Get your Social Insurance number as soon as possible. They'll give you the number the same day you apply, but it takes 1-3 weeks to get the card. You need the number to begin working.
2) Register for health insurance. You won't be covered for about the first three months, but you should apply as soon as possible.
3) Get your Canadian driver's license. Your current license is good for 6 months, but there's no reason to procrastinate.

You will be given instructions on how to go about all of these things when you arrive. So don't worry too much about it.

Bluff Master

Star Member
Feb 12, 2008
That is really a helpful information. Since I have US DL, do I still need to give written and behind the wheel test, or it can be exchanged?

Libby9

Aug 17, 2007
Thank you everyone for your replies. My husband and I went to Buffalo last week and handed his passport in in person (on Valentine's Day) at 10:00 and at 1:30 he was issued his Visa. We did his landing the following day. Our port of entry was 1000 Islands and it went well. He did not have to pay taxes on his vehicle, but had to pay just over $200 to Transport Canada for the RIV. Once we made it back home, he went for his SIN, got a number right away and the card will be mailed to him. He also had his American DL changed over-they took his old DL, and issued a temporary Ontario DL until his picture copy comes in the mail. He did not have to take any written or driving tests-we was advised that because he is from the US they did not require him to complete one, however, it may not be the case for everyone, so please prepare yourselves for a test just in case. He did not get his health card yet, but has to schedule an appointment. We had purchased health insurance for him, and it is still valid for a few more months. He started working the following Monday (Feb 18) for a computer consulting company as a Senior Technical Analyst.

I want to thank everyone for their advise through this, especially Thaiguy.

My biggest advise to anyone is, if applied through Canada or US, contact your local MP and request they assist you. First of all it's free help, and second, it expedites everything. Since we got in contact with our MP, it took less then 6 months for him to go from proof of funds, to PR.

Good luck everyone!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Bluff Master said:
I hope that happens. I hate giving written exam. LOL.
After telling you not to procrastinate, I finally got off my derriere and got my driver's license today. It cost me $31 and took 10 minutes. They replaced my California driver's license with a temporary one for British Columbia. There was no test - just some chitchat with a nice chinese woman about Thailand and whether I thought Vancouver Thai food was authentic. She also took my picture. No eye test - I guess she forgot. And no written test at all.

Libby9 said:
I want to thank everyone for their advise through this, especially Thaiguy.
I'm very glad to have helped!

AP

Star Member
Jul 7, 2007
Libby9 said:
My biggest advise to anyone is, if applied through Canada or US, contact your local MP and request they assist you. First of all it's free help, and second, it expedites everything. Since we got in contact with our MP, it took less then 6 months for him to go from proof of funds, to PR.

Good luck everyone!
Libby9 wat does the abbreviation MP stand for?

Regards,

AP

Libby9

Aug 17, 2007
MP stands for Member of Parliament. This is only if you are in Canada already-my husband was here on a visitor's visa, and then on a work permit. They are the federal members, and the MPP is the Member of Provincial Parliament. Provincial can't do much, but we contacted ours anyways, and they actually sent a letter to the Minister, Diane Finley, to show their support, and request our paper be expidited. There's no way for us to know whether this had a direct impact on our paperwork being processed so quickly, or if it was a coincidence, but I strongly recommend it to anyone who is in a similar position. They want your votes right, so they have to put a little work into getting them!!!

aivoges

Dec 18, 2007
Hi: I'll be landing tomorrow. Can somebody tell me if I'll become Canadian PR right after landing? Will they give me some written documentation confirming that I am a PR while waiting for the PR card?

Thanks

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Yes they will give you a copy of corp which confirms your pr status. after 30 days they will automatically send you a pr card. onequestion. how long did it take for your son to get travel documents after he was born. did they give her her canadian passport immediately or it takes a while.