AOR Received.
18 Mar 2015, SA received 02 April 2015
Med's Done....
06 Nov 2014
Passport Req..
5 Oct 2015
VISA ISSUED...
15 Oct 2015
Has anyone as an applicant landed in Canada without your spouse/sponsor being present? We're under the impression my partner's visa may be approved once we submit further information requested by CIC (intent to reside). The issue is, his medical will expire in early November, and I am pregnant and due early December. So there's no way I would be able to go with him to land as I don't wish to travel from Europe that late in a pregnancy to Ontario (where I have no OHIP coverage!).

Any advice/experience where the visa applicant has come over to land on their own, and more or less left Canada straight away would be appreciated!

DuberBlue

Sep 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
13-03-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2013
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
I don't personally have experience doing so (I drove my wife to Rainbow Bridge and flagpoled with her), but I know that a sponsor does not have to be present for someone to land.

After landing, your spouse would be completely free to return immediately to Europe. The clock will start ticking on the residency requirement thing, but that doesn't preclude hime from leaving Canada right after landing.

All that your husband would need is his COPR and an address where the PR card can be mailed to.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DuberBlue said:
I don't personally have experience doing so (I drove my wife to Rainbow Bridge and flagpoled with her), but I know that a sponsor does not have to be present for someone to land.

After landing, your spouse would be completely free to return immediately to Europe. The clock will start ticking on the residency requirement thing, but that doesn't preclude hime from leaving Canada right after landing.

All that your husband would need is his COPR and an address where the PR card can be mailed to.
An Inland sponsor definitely needs to attend the landing appointment/interview.

MacnCheese

Star Member
Oct 31, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 Jan 2015 sponsorship submitted to Mississauga
Doc's Request.
20 Aug 2015
AOR Received.
18 Mar 2015, SA received 02 April 2015
Med's Done....
06 Nov 2014
Passport Req..
5 Oct 2015
VISA ISSUED...
15 Oct 2015
DuberBlue said:

Thanks for the info.

DuberBlue

Sep 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
13-03-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2013
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
Ponga said:
An Inland sponsor definitely needs to attend the landing appointment/interview.
Hey there Ponga :)

I hate disagreeing with the obvious veterans of this site :) but are you SURE about that? I checked this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=748&t=22 and it really seems like there is no distinction in COPR's, whether they are mailed to inland or outland applicants.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
The outland applicant most certainly can land without the sponsor present. My wife arrived in Canada before I did, and landed without any difficulty.

The context here is "outland", so the ensuing debate is irrelevant.

"Inland" applicants are not issued a COPR.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
DuberBlue said:
Hey there Ponga :)

I hate disagreeing with the obvious veterans of this site :) but are you SURE about that? I checked this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=748&t=22 and it really seems like there is no distinction in COPR's, whether they are mailed to inland or outland applicants.
Inland applicants are not pre-issued COPRs before their landing. They get only a letter that says when their landing appointment is, and that they must attend it with their sponsor. Only at the landing interview with their sponsor is the COPR first given to them.

Any outland applicant can land alone.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truesmile said:
The outland applicant most certainly can land without the sponsor present. My wife arrived in Canada before I did, and landed without any difficulty.

The context here is "outland", so the ensuing debate is irrelevant.

"Inland" applicants are not issued a COPR.
Well, the OP started a thread that is simply titled: Landing without sponsor...I was merely pointing out that it IS a requirement for an INLAND applicant, so...it is in context for those that are interested.

And, they ARE in fact issued a CoPR...just not prior to landing.

DuberBlue

Sep 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
13-03-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2013
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
I guess I learned something new today :)

NVJ

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Doc's Request.
2 requests in error, nothing needed
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
Med's Done....
30-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on ecas 19-10-2015
Just in case anyone new is wondering about this I can confirm that my outland husband was denied landing because I was not in Canada. We had looked on here and believed that I didn't have to be there so he went on his own to activate PR before deadline while I stayed behind for kids to finish the school year. They let him in as a visitor, but no PR. He even contacted an MP, but was told I would have to be physically be present in Canada for him to activate his PR. This was in Toronto in March 2016.

Reactions: trinirock

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
NVJ said:
Just in case anyone new is wondering about this I can confirm that my outland husband was denied landing because I was not in Canada. We had looked on here and believed that I didn't have to be there so he went on his own to activate PR before deadline while I stayed behind for kids to finish the school year. They let him in as a visitor, but no PR. He even contacted an MP, but was told I would have to be physically be present in Canada for him to activate his PR. This was in Toronto in March 2016.
This was likely because he told them you were not in the country nor did you intend to return to the country until after a certain date. I.E. when the kids finished the school year.

In that context CBSA does have the right to not land an applicant because the sponsor is supposed to reside in Canada when the applicant is issued his/her PR.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Thanks for letting us know this - it is also similar to the OP's situations, where the sponsor does not want to come to Canada until after the applicant lands. In addition, the visa officer apparently has questions about the sponsor's intent to reside in Canada.

NVJ

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
Med's Done....
30-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on ecas 19-10-2015
I understand why it happened and everything is sorted now and he has landed. But before landing we read loads of forums / pages about landing and found lots of conflicting info. Many people clearly said their spouse entered the Canada (alone) first. For example truesmile (above) said:

"My wife arrived in Canada before I did, and landed without any difficulty" (not blaming them btw, just using as an example) :)

You are right that sponsor has to be physically residing in Canada when PA lands. However the 2nd time my husband 'landed' no one even asked about me....I could have been living on the moon!

Alurra71 said:
This was likely because he told them you were not in the country nor did you intend to return to the country until after a certain date. I.E. when the kids finished the school year.

In that context CBSA does have the right to not land an applicant because the sponsor is supposed to reside in Canada when the applicant is issued his/her PR.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
NVJ said:
I understand why it happened and everything is sorted now and he has landed. But before landing we read loads of forums / pages about landing and found lots of conflicting info. Many people clearly said their spouse entered the Canada (alone) first. For example truesmile (above) said:

"My wife arrived in Canada before I did, and landed without any difficulty" (not blaming them btw, just using as an example) :)

You are right that sponsor has to be physically residing in Canada when PA lands. However the 2nd time my husband 'landed' no one even asked about me....I could have been living on the moon!
So sorry our personal experience ended up providing a disservice in your case. I shall remember this should it ever come up again outside of this thread.

Funny how that works, i.e. the second time round you had no difficulty either.

NVJ

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
Med's Done....
30-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on ecas 19-10-2015
truesmile said:
So sorry our personal experience ended up providing a disservice in your case. I shall remember this should it ever come up again outside of this thread.

Funny how that works, i.e. the second time round you had no difficulty either.
Not your fault truesmile, just one of those things ☺
All sorted now, but would advise people travel together,. Especially if they don't have a lot of time to activate PR, or bank of dad to pay for more flights!