+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing with recently expired status

mjcomes

Jul 22, 2016
Hello all

I'm an inland applicant and have received my PR visa. I want to land, but my status expired last week. My question is that can I go ahead and land with this expired status or do I need to show proof of appying for WP?

Thanks.

res1

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2016
AOR Received.
18-02-2016
Med's Done....
03-03-2016
Passport Req..
17-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2016
LANDED..........
26-08-2016
If you applied for new work permit before your old one expired, you are on implied status. This shouldn't cause any issues with landing as long as you can demonstrate that you applied for the new work permit before the old one expired.

res1

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2016
AOR Received.
18-02-2016
Med's Done....
03-03-2016
Passport Req..
17-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2016
LANDED..........
26-08-2016
I'd say you need to apply for restoration of status then.
Please see these two links for the reason you need to do that and description of which cases qualify for such application.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=748&top=22
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/restoration.asp

ronnieS

Star Member
Jun 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
21-03-2016
IELTS Request
upfront
Med's Request
upfront
mjcomes said:
Hello all

I'm an inland applicant and have received my PR visa. I want to land, but my status expired last week. My question is that can I go ahead and land with this expired status or do I need to show proof of appying for WP?

Thanks.
If you are not able to make an appointment as set out above, you may leave Canada and return through an international airport or a Canadian land border.

When you arrive, an IRCC officer will interview you, and grant you entry into Canada based on the information in your visa.

In either case, you will have to show the officer:your passport, travel or identity document (including your visa sticker, if you have one), and
your Confirmation of Permanent Residence, permanent resident visa, letter of introduction or any instructions from the Canadian visa office, and
your proof of legal status in Canada, such as a valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit, or visitor document, or any immigration document you have (whether valid or not), or
proof of implied status (if you applied to extend your stay before it ended). Proof of this status may include:
payment receipt,
copy of your application to extend your stay,
printout of online application, or
proof of mailing.

aacan

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-10-2016
Doc's Request.
01-03-2017
Nomination.....
01-09-2016
AOR Received.
07-02-2017
Med's Request
24-01-2019
Med's Done....
25-01-2019
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
25-02-2019
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2019
LANDED..........
03-04-2019
I thought having a PR application in process is an Implied Status!

aacan

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-10-2016
Doc's Request.
01-03-2017
Nomination.....
01-09-2016
AOR Received.
07-02-2017
Med's Request
24-01-2019
Med's Done....
25-01-2019
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
25-02-2019
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2019
LANDED..........
03-04-2019
No. Only extensions of temporary residency (worker, student, visitor) give Implied Status.
So am I in trouble now? I have my PR approved but no WP since Oct. Should I call CIC and ask?

aacan

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-10-2016
Doc's Request.
01-03-2017
Nomination.....
01-09-2016
AOR Received.
07-02-2017
Med's Request
24-01-2019
Med's Done....
25-01-2019
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
25-02-2019
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2019
LANDED..........
03-04-2019
No point in calling. If you continued to work, you have been working illegally.
I am concerned about the PR landing at the IRCC office. Will I be in trouble?

Mykim7

Jun 3, 2016
So am I in trouble now? I have my PR approved but no WP since Oct. Should I call CIC and ask?
Hello Aacan. Could you kindly share your experience for your landing and your WP extension? Sorry but it will be very helpful since your case is specific to help people like me. Thank you.

aacan

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-10-2016
Doc's Request.
01-03-2017
Nomination.....
01-09-2016
AOR Received.
07-02-2017
Med's Request
24-01-2019
Med's Done....
25-01-2019
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
25-02-2019
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2019
LANDED..........
03-04-2019
Hello Aacan. Could you kindly share your experience for your landing and your WP extension? Sorry but it will be very helpful since your case is specific to help people like me. Thank you.

Hello friend and my apologies for the delay in reply. Here's my experience:
My PGWP expired on October 8, while my PR was still being processed. I thought that as long as the PR is being processed I will have implied status; which is not the case. The only way to be on implied status is to apply for WP extension before your current one expires.

HR in my work sent an email saying my WP expired, so I told them my application is still being processed: I think I got lucky since they misunderstood the type of application. When my COPR email was sent, it asked me to book an appointment to complete my landing, listing a proof of current status to be presented. Since I did not have one, I called CIC to inquire, and the agent was surprised I was still in Canada with no status, saying that the only way to complete the landing is to leave the country and do flagpoling or entre through airport customs, which I did.

I went to LA since I have family there, and everything went smooth: I flew with an American Visa and came back showing my Canadian PR Visa. Landing at Edmonton's International Airport was very smooth and took less than 12 minutes: I was asked to provide a list of goods to follow (I had furniture I plan to ship in the future), and asked me about my address and other basic questions.

I landed April 03 at 11 PM, applied for Healthcare Card and SIN the next day, and received my PR cards on April 24th.

Last edited:
Reactions: kruhiputar

Mykim7

Jun 3, 2016
Hello friend and my apologies for the delay in reply. Here's my experience:
My PGWP expired on October 8, while my PR was still being processed. I thought that as long as the PR is being processed I will have implied status; which is not the case. The only way to be on implied status is to apply for WP extension before your current one expires.

HR in my work sent an email saying my WP expired, so I told them my application is still being processed: I think I got lucky since they misunderstood the type of application. When my COPR email was sent, it asked me to book an appointment to complete my landing, listing a proof of current status to be presented. Since I did not have one, I called CIC to inquire, and the agent was surprised I was still in Canada with no status, saying that the only way to complete the landing is to leave the country and do flagpoling or entre through airport customs, which I did.

I went to LA since I have family there, and everything went smooth: I flew with an American Visa and came back showing my Canadian PR Visa. Landing at Edmonton's International Airport was very smooth and took less than 12 minutes: I was asked to provide a list of goods to follow (I had furniture I plan to ship in the future), and asked me about my address and other basic questions.

I landed April 03 at 11 PM, applied for Healthcare Card and SIN the next day, and received my PR cards on April 24th.
Dear Aacan,

First of all, thank you so much for your kind reply regarding my recent questions. So nice of you who could explain the situation very kindly. It was actually surprising to know that an agent in the CIC customer service helped you to go through your final landing process. It was indeed a subtle guidance. I think your suggestions with experience should be very helpful for me and some people in this community to follow. Oh by the way, were you in an Express Entry of Provincial Nominee?

It is also nice to know that you have a family in LA, so you have at least people to see. My situation is somewhat different from yours since I am here in Canada with my family. In fact, I am actually waiting for probably the final update after I provide several additional document requested. Anyway, thanks a lot for wishing me luck on my application. Again, thank you very much for sharing a lot of useful information with me. Wishing you all the best! All Blessings!

aacan

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-10-2016
Doc's Request.
01-03-2017
Nomination.....
01-09-2016
AOR Received.
07-02-2017
Med's Request
24-01-2019
Med's Done....
25-01-2019
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
25-02-2019
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2019
LANDED..........
03-04-2019
Dear Aacan,

First of all, thank you so much for your kind reply regarding my recent questions. So nice of you who could explain the situation very kindly. It was actually surprising to know that an agent in the CIC customer service helped you to go through your final landing process. It was indeed a subtle guidance. I think your suggestions with experience should be very helpful for me and some people in this community to follow. Oh by the way, were you in an Express Entry of Provincial Nominee?

It is also nice to know that you have a family in LA, so you have at least people to see. My situation is somewhat different from yours since I am here in Canada with my family. In fact, I am actually waiting for probably the final update after I provide several additional document requested. Anyway, thanks a lot for wishing me luck on my application. Again, thank you very much for sharing a lot of useful information with me. Wishing you all the best! All Blessings!
Hello friend.

I was an AB nominee applicant. Processing my application took nearly 2.5 years (Oct 2016-Apr 2019). Now that the weather is nice you can go on a road trip with your family to AB's southern border to flagpole, unless you are planning to fly.

I wish you and your family all the best.