+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing with receiving COPR after March 18th

DuncanHague

Feb 9, 2020
I’m trying to find some clarification on this.

I’m an Outland applicant and have COPR due to arrive soon after having just recently been approved. Is it still not possible to land/settle with having got copr after the March 18th date? I have been reading about some people managing to flagpole even thought it’s not technically being allowed currently. If possible I’d prefer to go out and settle in Canada as soon as possible.

I’m keen to find an answer soon as I am due to fly out to see my partner on the 18th as we’d planned for me to visit and quarantine after being apart for 9 months.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I’m trying to find some clarification on this.

I’m an Outland applicant and have COPR due to arrive soon after having just recently been approved. Is it still not possible to land/settle with having got copr after the March 18th date? I have been reading about some people managing to flagpole even thought it’s not technically being allowed currently. If possible I’d prefer to go out and settle in Canada as soon as possible.

I’m keen to find an answer soon as I am due to fly out to see my partner on the 18th as we’d planned for me to visit and quarantine after being apart for 9 months.
Check the official site, I am quite certain they lifted that particular restriction, so that those with copr from later dates can enter.

And a few other forum members have received and already traveled to Canada since then.

DuncanHague

Feb 9, 2020
The official site doesn’t categorically state anything either way for those who received copr after March 18th unfortunately. Only states you can if received before then.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The official site doesn’t categorically state anything either way for those who received copr after March 18th unfortunately. Only states you can if received before then.
Hmmm, thought I had seen something, will try again to find. And we do have a few members who have recently done this. If you have recently received the COPR or are to receive soon, you should contac tthe visa office to see if they can clarify.

Ramieves

Apr 18, 2020
It's clearly stated that people with COPRs after March 18th are not allowed to travel to Canada.
Would be great if you could share some stories of people who landed with COPR issued after March 18th.
There is no way to travel yet.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It's clearly stated that people with COPRs after March 18th are not allowed to travel to Canada.
Would be great if you could share some stories of people who landed with COPR issued after March 18th.
Warsaw thread.

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/may-2019-outland-spousal-sponsorship.624808/page-169#post-8768015
In above post, poster received COPR and landed in Canada all within the past week.

Also this is what I found for specific rules on who can enter Canada (source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html):

Who can enter Canada
You can travel to and enter Canada if you’re a
  • Canadian citizen
  • permanent resident of Canada
  • person registered under Canada’s Indian Act
  • protected person
Foreign nationals who are eligible to travel to Canada
To be eligible to travel to Canada as a foreign national, you must meet the requirements for either
Travellers coming from outside the US who are exempt from the travel restrictions
You must also have a quarantine plan that shows how you’ll quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This plan is mandatory.

Immediate family members of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
To be eligible, you must provide evidence that you’re both
Who is an immediate family member
An immediate family member is defined as a
So I would think that anyone who qualifies for family class sponsorship would be either the spouse/common-law partner or dependent of a Canadian Citizen/Canadian permanent resident... and therefore, should be allowed to travel to Canada (assuming a quarantine plan has been made). Hope that helps?

Last edited:

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
The March 18th restriction no longer appears in the latest list of restrictions. Saw on here a couple people who got their COPR in the last couple weeks and traveled right away with no problem.

Reactions: armoured

Ramieves

Apr 18, 2020
The March 18th restriction no longer appears in the latest list of restrictions. Saw on here a couple people who got their COPR in the last couple weeks and traveled right away with no problem.

Travelling from any country other than the US
If we issued your confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) on or before March 18, 2020, you

• are exempt from the travel restrictions and
  • can travel to Canada with your CoPR to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident
Check the issue date in the Application Details section of your CoPR to see if this applies to you.

Ana Cruz

Feb 17, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/fr/immigration-refugies-citoyennete/services/coronavirus-covid19/candidats-immigration.html

Voyager à partir d’un pays autre que les États-Unis
Si nous avons remis une confirmation de résidence permanente (CRP), le 18 mars 2020 ou avant cette date :

• vous êtes exempté des restrictions de voyage;
  • vous pouvez vous rendre au Canada avec votre CRP afin de vous établir et d’y vivre en tant que résident permanent.
Vérifiez la date de délivrance inscrite à la section « Détails de la demande » de votre CRP pour voir si cela s’applique à vous.

Voyager depuis les États-Unis
Vous pouvez vous rendre au Canada depuis les États-Unis pour vous établir et vivre au Canada en tant que résident permanent si :

• nous avons approuvé votre demande; et
  • nous vous avons envoyé une CRP.

Ramieves

Apr 18, 2020
Travel restrictions apply for COPRs issued after March 18th except travelers from the USA. So I believe that person is from there.

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
Travel restrictions apply for COPRs issued after March 18th except travelers from the USA. So I believe that person is from there.
Are you referring to poster of this post https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/may-2019-outland-spousal-sponsorship.624808/page-169#post-8768015

That poster is from Turkey. They received COPR August 6, 2020, and landed in Canada the following day. This person is not from the USA and received COPR far after March 18, 2020.

Ramieves

Apr 18, 2020
Are you referring to poster of this post https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/may-2019-outland-spousal-sponsorship.624808/page-169#post-8768015

That poster is from Turkey. They received COPR August 6, 2020, and landed in Canada the following day. This person is not from the USA and received COPR far after March 18, 2020.
That's cool. I'm happy for this person..
It's very interesting then how this person managed to travel..)

Ramieves

Apr 18, 2020
It is because as I said above that restriction no longer applies. Check for the latest publication date.
The latest publication date is still the end of July.
I'm waiting for the reply of this guy, maybe he will shed some light. I assume that perhaps his date of Copr is before March 18th, but he got it only in August.
Anyway, do you suggest just buy a ticket and fly out??..l