+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing with Pets - Specifically in Ontario w/ "Pitbull" mix

BackToOntario

Star Member
Aug 18, 2018
Bringing our 4-legged children along with us when we move in the summer seems relatively straightforward... vaccination records seem to be the only requirement, and obviously we have those on hand.

However, one is an overgrown lap dog, who happens to be an American Staffordshire Terrier and American Bulldog mix. In other words, she is going to be considered a Pitbull, and is technically banned in Ontario. Not all cities enforce it, but legally it's still a thing.

Has anyone else brought their "pitbull-like" dog with them?
Any issues crossing the border anywhere in Ontario?
Should we just cross via Quebec and not risk it?

I have been sending letters to MPPs in Ontario, and while a lot of them agree that the law is useless, expensive, and needs to be overturned, none of them seem to be in a rush to do so.

Our others are 2 cats and a Chihuahua/Min Pin/Rat Terrier mix.

Reactions: snoopyta

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Bringing our 4-legged children along with us when we move in the summer seems relatively straightforward... vaccination records seem to be the only requirement, and obviously we have those on hand.

However, one is an overgrown lap dog, who happens to be an American Staffordshire Terrier and American Bulldog mix. In other words, she is going to be considered a Pitbull, and is technically banned in Ontario. Not all cities enforce it, but legally it's still a thing.

Has anyone else brought their "pitbull-like" dog with them?
Any issues crossing the border anywhere in Ontario?
Should we just cross via Quebec and not risk it?

I have been sending letters to MPPs in Ontario, and while a lot of them agree that the law is useless, expensive, and needs to be overturned, none of them seem to be in a rush to do so.

Our others are 2 cats and a Chihuahua/Min Pin/Rat Terrier mix.
I agree it's a silly law that should be repealed.

Having said that, you will not be allowed to bring the dog across the border into Ontario. The breed is banned in Ontario. Yes - you should expect big issues if you attempt to cross anywhere in Ontario.

BackToOntario

Star Member
Aug 18, 2018
Thanks. I think Quebec, while adding about a few hours to the overall trip, is going to be necessary.

Really, what's a 27 hour drive compared to a 22 hour drive anyway. Plus it's the more scenic route, going through (or around) NYC.

Reactions: snoopyta