+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing?????? (US citizen married to Canadian Citizen)

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM July 19, 2014 : COPR July 22, 2014
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
We are just about to turn in the application (outland)...just waiting for a family testimonial letter to come in the mail...the first one got lost..so it had to be resent to us. I realize that landing will be a long time from now...but I have a few questions...

I will probably fly to Pearson Airport to Land...how is it different from border crossing on foot or by car?

What should I bring? Just Clothes? Any recommendations?

What am I allowed to bring? Every time I visit my husband I bring an extra suitcase (non-carry on) of my favorite products (shampoos..lotions..ects) to save on the expense..what I be allowed to do that then?

Do I have to take inventory or photos of everything I bring? (shoes, clothes, electronics, jewelry, ect.)

Will I be taxed on the things I bring? or do I have to pay a fee?

I have visited my husband several times now and have left a few things at our apartment there...do I have to mention those things?

I think it's best to leave furniture and huge items behind but what about kept sake items I want to bring (like a jewelry box given to me by my mother)...Is it easier to bring them in a suitcase or should I ship it to Canada?

Is there a site or forum for after you land? one that can recommend places to look for jobs?..how to get settled? or about american or Canadian taxes?..
My husband and I are very interested in maybe one day moving to the States...but for now Canada seems the best place for us...

Thanks any advice would be most helpful...

Netkid

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2014
AOR Received.
21-03-2014; 25-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-04-2014
Med's Request
27-04-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Arrived 22-05-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
You are allowed to bring in your items when you come or after you land. I have called CBSA and they advised just make a good list of the items you are bringing in and their approximate value (and yes, it can arrive unaccompanied as long as you declare it on your declaration card). It really depends on what you want to bring in - there are some exceptions for new settlers/newly married people as well.

The agent advised that it was ok to categorize the items, e.g. you don't have to list every t-shirt and it's value, rather can group into clothing and then approximate the current value. Would anyone disagree with this?

I am in a similar situation - trying to figure out what options work best. If you do have items follow you, when you go to pick it up, you will want to ensure you have a copy of the papers from CBSA so that it comes in duty free. The CIC/CBSA sites should have more info.

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
thanks for the reply :) it helps...I just want to know so I can start preparing and keep it in mind....

TG71

Jan 20, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 15, 2012
AOR Received.
May 2, 2013
Med's Done....
June 10, 2013
LANDED..........
October 10, 2013
Yes, you make a full list of items which you intend on moving to Canada right before landing. If you want to bring more items at a later date you can, you need to make a second list with those items on there and the date you will be bringing them into Canada on that second list. On the day you land with your items on the First list both lists will be stamped and you will be given a receipt for the items on both lists. This is to confirm to Customs you had those items BEFORE you landed and didn't just go on a shopping spree and try to declare it as yours this will help you having to avoid to pay duty on your items.

Canadavisa_Apr2013

Aug 27, 2013
TG71 said:
Yes, you make a full list of items which you intend on moving to Canada right before landing. If you want to bring more items at a later date you can, you need to make a second list with those items on there and the date you will be bringing them into Canada on that second list. On the day you land with your items on the First list both lists will be stamped and you will be given a receipt for the items on both lists. This is to confirm to Customs you had those items BEFORE you landed and didn't just go on a shopping spree and try to declare it as yours this will help you having to avoid to pay duty on your items.
Hello,

My husband is planning to land soon. He will be arriving by air to Pearson.

Is it recommended to bring expensive items such as jewelry, laptops etc during his first entry? Or should he just bring a list of items?

Please advise.

Thanks

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
TG71 said:
Oh ok, thanks for the tip...

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
Netkid said:
You are allowed to bring in your items when you come or after you land. I have called CBSA and they advised just make a good list of the items you are bringing in and their approximate value (and yes, it can arrive unaccompanied as long as you declare it on your declaration card). It really depends on what you want to bring in - there are some exceptions for new settlers/newly married people as well.

The agent advised that it was ok to categorize the items, e.g. you don't have to list every t-shirt and it's value, rather can group into clothing and then approximate the current value. Would anyone disagree with this?

I am in a similar situation - trying to figure out what options work best. If you do have items follow you, when you go to pick it up, you will want to ensure you have a copy of the papers from CBSA so that it comes in duty free. The CIC/CBSA sites should have more info.
???
Maybe this is a silly question..but how do I approximate the value of my clothing???

TG71

Jan 20, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 15, 2012
AOR Received.
May 2, 2013
Med's Done....
June 10, 2013
LANDED..........
October 10, 2013
What would you sell your clothes at a garage sale for? It doesnt have to be alot or too little..chances are you wont be paying duty on them anyway since you are Landing. The guy asked my partner at the border what he thought the value was and then said "dont worry you dont have to pay any duty on it just need a value".

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
TG71 said:
What would you sell your clothes at a garage sale for? It doesnt have to be alot or too little..chances are you wont be paying duty on them anyway since you are Landing. The guy asked my partner at the border what he thought the value was and then said "dont worry you dont have to pay any duty on it just need a value".
Oh ok..that's good...thanks for the info...