+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing this month - a few questions please!

Moe2010

Star Member
Feb 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2014
Doc's Request.
Feb 2015
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
Sep 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Feb 2015
Med's Done....
March 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 2015
Hello all,

I will be doing my landing this month and i need consultation on the following please:

1- I will be landing in Vancouver. Do the PR benefits differ between states? In other words, will there be any benefits i will miss on if i land in Vancouver vs landing in Toronto, regardless of where i will live eventually?

2- I will be landing with my wife. Is it a must to bring cash with me if i will be having ATM debit cards with me? Maybe i can bring a bank statement to confirm that i have enough balance in my account? if i need to bring cash, can i bring them in USD?

3- Do i really have to apply for the social security and federal medical insurance during this visit?

4- Any must do stuff to consider for this visit?

I managed to get very good prices on my tickets through the KLM sales. If anyone is travelling soon, i suggest you to check out KLM prices.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Mohamed

GariKam

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 2014
Hello all,

I will be doing my landing this month and i need consultation on the following please:

1- I will be landing in Vancouver. Do the PR benefits differ between states? In other words, will there be any benefits i will miss on if i land in Vancouver vs landing in Toronto, regardless of where i will live eventually?
Yes benefits do differ between provinces. There are federal benefits like the Universal Child Tax Benefit (UCTB) which are federal and there are benefits that are provincial.
One benefit compensates for the other so that should not be a criteria for deciding a province. For example in BC you pay for medical (in case you are low income after one year, it gets totally free) but in Ontario you pay higher insurance on cars. So it kind of depends. Highest benefits are in colder places and in places where they want to attract immigrants.

2- I will be landing with my wife. Is it a must to bring cash with me if i will be having ATM debit cards with me? Maybe I can bring a bank statement to confirm that i have enough balance in my account? if i need to bring cash, can i bring them in USD?
Prefer CAD. There is a conversion fee involved and I am sure so don’t want to do it twice unless you are coming straight from US. Carry some cash and even smaller denominations like 1, 2, 5 CADs for spending at small stuff. Like maybe your first transit ticket (in case you don’t have anyone to pick you).

3- Do i really have to apply for the social security and federal medical insurance during this visit?
If you are going to stay apply for MSP, if you are leaving you don’t need to. I know people who did apply for MSP even after months of landing. You will need to get your SIN number but social security benefits will be due for you only if you are staying here.

SIN
PR CARDS
Driving License
And in case you have time explore your profession and what you would want to do when you start living here.

I managed to get very good prices on my tickets through the KLM sales. If anyone is travelling soon, i suggest you to check out KLM prices.

Best regards,
Mohamed
Moe2010 said:
Hello all,

2- I will be landing with my wife. Is it a must to bring cash with me if i will be having ATM debit cards with me? Maybe i can bring a bank statement to confirm that i have enough balance in my account? if i need to bring cash, can i bring them in USD?

Best regards,
Mohamed

Moe2010

Star Member
Feb 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2014
Doc's Request.
Feb 2015
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
Sep 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Feb 2015
Med's Done....
March 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 2015
Many thanks for your answers. Just a small clarification, regarding the cash question, im just bringing cash because my undrstanding is that its a requirement for new immigrants to bring cash to help them settle in. I think 9000 cad per adult?

I wanted to bring the equivelant in usd because the cad is on a downtrend now and i dont plan to keep it canada now.

Also, i plan to bring all my savings when i go there permenantly next year. Do i need to declare it during this visit/first landing?

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Moe2010 said:
Many thanks for your answers. Just a small clarification, regarding the cash question, im just bringing cash because my undrstanding is that its a requirement for new immigrants to bring cash to help them settle in. I think 9000 cad per adult?

I wanted to bring the equivelant in usd because the cad is on a downtrend now and i dont plan to keep it canada now.

Also, i plan to bring all my savings when i go there permenantly next year. Do i need to declare it during this visit/first landing?
Did you do any homework in regards to your own immigration? There are no requirements to bring cash only. You need to declare any cash above the $10'000 limit. The amount of money required for one, two or more people is in the guideline you should have in your paperwork.