+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing then returning later

mrdrm130

Feb 11, 2010
I just got the call that my visa is ready and will be issued soon. It will expire when my medical does in October. Is it possible to land and "activate" the visa and then return later with my family and goods after we settle our affairs? Also I am living in the US with my wife who is my Canadian sponsor. Would this time with her in the US after visa activation count as time towards the 2 years? Finally, can I have my PR card sent to my US address? If not, can I have it sent to my mother-in-laws house in Saskatchewan?

Thanks for your patience.
Giovanni
Proud Future Canadian

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
mrdrm130 said:
I just got the call that my visa is ready and will be issued soon. It will expire when my medical does in October. Is it possible to land and "activate" the visa and then return later with my family and goods after we settle our affairs? . Also I am living in the US with my wife who is my Canadian sponsor. Would this time with her in the US after visa activation count as time towards the 2 years? i Finally, can I have my PR card sent to my US address? If not, can I have it sent to my mother-in-laws house in Saskatchewan?

Giovanni

Proud Future Canadian

1. Yes
2. it will not count, it will assume out of Canada even in USA
3. i don't know call CIC.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
No, they will only send PR cards to a Canadian address.

We need some type of sticky for FAQs like this. This comes up time and again. :mad:

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I'm sorry if I'm wrong on any of these points, but I disagree with some of the answers you've received.

MRDRM asked of the PR card could be shipped to his mother-in-law in Saskatchewan – which is in Canada. I believe hat the PR card is mailed to your official address in Canada, so declare your mother-in-law’s address upon landing. Then the card will go there, and she can courier it to you in the USA.

You need the PR card in hand to get back into Canada – or else you must apply for some other permission letting you into Canada the next time. I forget what that permission is called, but it is described in other posts.

Finally, PMM has stated that if your sponsor is a Canadian citizen, time spent with her – even outside Canada – counts toward your two-year residence minimum.

The trick is how to prove that you were with her all that time. I am not joking: unless someone has a better idea, my solution will be to take a photo each month with her, holding a newspaper showing that day’s date. Seems silly to have to do that, but I don’t have a better idea.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Hi everyone! I am a provincial nominee of the Province of Alberta under the H-1B visa category. I just received a notice to submit our (mine and my family) passports and pay the Right of Permanent Residence fee. We had our medical exam last Dec 2009, so we need to land in Canada before the expiry date of the visa/medical exam. We are presently residing in Virginia and are planning to go to Canada using our car as we plan to return to the US immediately after landing. Since Virginia is about 30+ hours to Alberta (either Calgary or Edmonton where we plan to settle), can we land in the US/Canada border near Buffalo NY? Will the border officials allow entry of our car?

Thanks so much.

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
BZ Mom said:
Hi everyone! I am a provincial nominee of the Province of Alberta under the H-1B visa category. I just received a notice to submit our (mine and my family) passports and pay the Right of Permanent Residence fee. We had our medical exam last Dec 2009, so we need to land in Canada before the expiry date of the visa/medical exam. We are presently residing in Virginia and are planning to go to Canada using our car as we plan to return to the US immediately after landing. Since Virginia is about 30+ hours to Alberta (either Calgary or Edmonton where we plan to settle), can we land in the US/Canada border near Buffalo NY? Will the border officials allow entry of our car?

Thanks so much.
Yes, you can complete landing formality in Buffalo, and move to Alberta later.
You can enter with your US car.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
imigrate said:
Yes, you can complete landing formality in Buffalo, and move to Alberta later.
You can enter with your US car.
Thanks for your reply, imigrate! I appreciate it!

jeby

Jan 19, 2010
Kerala, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
15-12-2009
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
Passport Req..
15-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2010
mrdrm130 said:
I just got the call that my visa is ready and will be issued soon. It will expire when my medical does in October. Is it possible to land and "activate" the visa and then return later with my family and goods after we settle our affairs? Also I am living in the US with my wife who is my Canadian sponsor. Would this time with her in the US after visa activation count as time towards the 2 years? Finally, can I have my PR card sent to my US address? If not, can I have it sent to my mother-in-laws house in Saskatchewan?

Giovanni
Proud Future Canadian
Dear MRDrM,

The reply provided by Starzibal is correct regarding Ist and 2nd questions. For the 3rd one, toby has offered correct answer. You can give Saskan address at the time of landing. It will take at least one month to get delivered. It will not be sent to outside Canada.

Jeby

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Hi Jeby:

This is an important issue: does time spent with a Canadian sponsor abroad count toward the two-years quota to maintain permanent residency?

You say no, as does Starzibal. Yet PMM (no slouch on Immigration matters) specifically confirmed to me that this time abroad DOES count toward the Residency quota.

(Not so for Citizenship, where one must actually be in Canada.)

So, I think we should verify with PMM once more, to be clear.

jeby

Jan 19, 2010
Kerala, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
15-12-2009
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
Passport Req..
15-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2010
Dear Toby,

I agree, that as there is a confusion, we should consult with experts like qorax or rocky

Jeby

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
toby said:
This is an important issue: does time spent with a Canadian sponsor abroad count toward the two-years quota to maintain permanent residency?
The answer to this one is YES, as long as the Canadian you are accompanying is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 22 years of age).

It is stated on the CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529E2.asp

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
On this important question (does time spent abroad accompanying your Canadian spouse count toward your 730-day quota) , I consulted PMM again, and spent a delightful half-day pouring through the Immigration Act, and a few court cases that dealt with this issue. Thanks to all those who pointed me in the right direction.

The short answer is that yes, time spent abroad DOES count toward the quota -- PROVIDED THAT it is the spouse who "accompanies" the Canadian, and not vice-versa. Much depends on the definition of "accompany", which means "be with" the other person. According to the court decisions, the Canadian cannot merely be abroad to be with the spouse (or else the court considered that it was the Canadian who was accompanying the PR, and so the days did not count. If the Canadian has another good reason to be abroad, such as a job or enterprise, then the couple has a stronger case to say it is the PR who is accompanying the Canadian.

And (I surmise) it helps the case if the PR does not have a strong reason to be in that particular place -- except to be with her Canadian spouse.

If all this seems a bit too complex for a border guard to judge on the spot, it probably is. So the moral is to play it safe, try to amass the required 730 days IN CANADA (so there's no argument or doubt), and rely on the provision for time abroad ONLY if absilutely necessary.