+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing question

chandler

Jan 15, 2010
Hi All,

I have received my Canadian permanent residency approval letter today!!! Thank you all for patiently answering my IELTS and other questions. I applied in 0213 category in Apr 2010 with a 1-2 years project management and 9 years total work experience mostly in India. I am currently working in the US and I am trying to keep working in the US for a year or two before moving permanently to Canada hopefully with a matching job offer.

1) The first thing I noticed in the government communication is that - I will be issued a 1 year visa to land in Canada and have have to apply for a Perm Card once I land there. How long is the issuance process? Also, do I have to stay back in Canada from the time of application to the time the Perm Card is issued? I am asking because I need to take a leave from my US employer to go to Canada and have to return back to the US within a reasonable time frame. What has been the experience of those who landed in Canada recently?

2) Also, the visas are issued for myself along with my family(wife and toddler kid). Does it mean all of us have to make a trip to Canada to get our Perm card? or can i just visit by myself and get the cards for all three of us?

Thanks in anticipation.

Maxmillion

Jun 25, 2012
1) for my own experience, legally, I don't think you allow to travel before you have you PR card on hand, after you landin. It takes about a month for them to mail you(case by case). May be a way to speed up the process by contacting the card issue office in Sydney, NS. Call them if you want to do that and provide your travel details(but I think it still takes 2 weeks). However, if you have a trusted friend in Canada, you might ask him/her to send it to you with insurances mail. Just put his/her address as your prime mailing address. I knew friends did that.

2) I think you do need to bring your wife with you since the landin process has to be in person. I don't know about your kid. You better give them a call to be sure. They have 1-800 numbers and it is free if u r in U.S.

Hope it helps, good luck!

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
chandler said:
Hi All,

I have received my Canadian permanent residency approval letter today!!! Thank you all for patiently answering my IELTS and other questions. I applied in 0213 category in Apr 2010 with a 1-2 years project management and 9 years total work experience mostly in India. I am currently working in the US and I am trying to keep working in the US for a year or two before moving permanently to Canada hopefully with a matching job offer.

1) The first thing I noticed in the government communication is that - I will be issued a 1 year visa to land in Canada and have have to apply for a Perm Card once I land there. How long is the issuance process? Also, do I have to stay back in Canada from the time of application to the time the Perm Card is issued? I am asking because I need to take a leave from my US employer to go to Canada and have to return back to the US within a reasonable time frame. What has been the experience of those who landed in Canada recently?

Currently it is taking many weeks for issuing the PR Card. When you land, you need to provide a Canada address to where it will be sent.
You can leave immediately. To return you may need your Landing papers / COPR and Passport.

2) Also, the visas are issued for myself along with my family(wife and toddler kid). Does it mean all of us have to make a trip to Canada to get our Perm card? or can i just visit by myself and get the cards for all three of us?
You can collect (unless a personal appearance is requested). Trust all are landing together

Thanks in anticipation.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looking at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp it is currently taking 47 business days to mail new PR cards so that is about 9 weeks. You do not have to stay in Canada and wait for it but you must give them an address in Canada to mail it to. If you have no friends or family whose address you could give, you can go to UPS and arrange an address with them which will be forwarded to your address in the US.

If something goes wrong with the card and you end up not getting one, you can always enter Canada again on your landing papers and apply for a card later.

Your family must also land in Canada before the expiry of their PR visas to activate their PR statuses. If they do not, their visa will expire and be useless. However, as long as you have your PR, you could sponsor them again but it would be added cost, paperwork and months of wait.

Keep in mind that in order to keep your PR in Canada, you must live in Canada at least 730 days (2 years) in your first 5 years as a PR and any 5 year period after that. Time can be accumulated, does not have to be consecutive. Same goes for your family.