+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing: Question at Airport Regarding Length of Stay

shalini_G

Aug 19, 2012
Hi All,

We will be doing our immigration landing at Toronto next month, but don't intend to stay for more than a week as both myself and my hubby can't leave our current jobs yet.
We will provide address of our family friends in Toronto to receive the PR Card, who will then post us those card back in Australia.

Now, for our itinerary, we have booked a return air ticket. I was looking up in the forum for experiences/advice from fellow members, whether this intention of Brief Stay can cause any problem during POE questioning by Immigration Officer.

I have read at few places, one of the questions that IO may ask is 'How Long You Intend to Stay'. In response to such a question, what should be our answer.
Should we tell them that we intend to stay only for a week? Will this lead to refusal of Entry?

regards,
Shalini.

shalini_G

Aug 19, 2012
Dear All,

While I am awaiting reply to my previous query, I have another one regarding the Proof of Funds at the time of Landing:

Can we carry the POF in Australian Dollars Bank Draft equivalent to CAD 16, 000 plus 3,000 CAD in cash (we are a family of three).

Given the fact that we would not be staying in Canada for more than a week this time around, converting all our money into CAD and reconverting it back to AUD when we are back in Australia will cause us more than 600 Dollars loss in exchange rate conversions.

regards,
Shalini.

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
When you enter for the purpose of 'Landing with PR' the question of duration does NOT arise. You are free to enter/leave at will.
A week is good enough. you may want to visit ServiceCanada and obtain your SIN number.
Many people do the 'short landing' and return later at their convenience.
I am sure you know about the 1095 days requirement in 5 years for Citizenship
You may want to familiarize about and fill the necessary forms (b4) for 'goods to follow'.
AUD draft + cash is also good to go.

shalini_G

Aug 19, 2012
hmm.. Dear Indian Applicant, I did gather from posts in the forum that people do 'short landing', but my question was about declaring this to the Immigration Officer if asked about the Duration of stay..

My understanding was that since the Canadian govt. do not send out PR cards outside Canada, the Immigration Officers at Port of Entry definitely expect the newly landed immigrant to atleast stay until they receive the PR Card, and would not be happy to hear that we will leave the country after one week.

regards,
Shalini.

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
May be I did not convey properly. Ofcourse the Officers know that one cannot take decisions to 'migrate right away' and should that (highly unlikely) come up at the (PoE) immigration, tell the truth. Everyone knows winding up businesses; jobs; schooling; housing etc takes time.

shalini_G

Aug 19, 2012
Thank you @ Indian Applicant.. That was a good reasoning.. Much Appreciated

Do you have any idea about my second query regardsin POF - in Australian currency (Bank Draft or Cash), so that I can avoid having to incur dual conversion charges, as we won't be spending this money in Canada, and will have to redeposit the money back in our Australian bank on returning back to OZ.

regards,
Shalini.

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
That is a tricky one. AUD drafts+cheques+ CAD Cash is good enough unless you want to volunteer that you would take that money out too.
Also see http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t39318.0.html