+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Query

anumqureshi

Oct 20, 2016
Hi All

Has any one done landing under the express entry system/recently because my application for immigration got accepted and me along with my family are moving to Canada. Now we have to do our landing prior to November 2017 and since we cannot do that therefore, we are planning to land in August and come back and then go back next year after wrapping up things.

I have some queries and I was hoping someone could help me with that:

1. PROOF OF FUNDS: At landing I am planning to take my bank statement, my cheque book and account maintenance certificate and some cash. Is that sufficient because I plan on remitting the amount from my bank account to an account in Canada and obviously I cannot do that unless the account is opened. Please let me know if the above is Ok or do I need to take all of the amount required under the application with me?

2. GOODS ACCOMPANYING AND GOODS TO FOLLOW: So from my research I understand that we will have to fill out BSF186 and BSF186A. There will be a separate BSF186 form filled out for Goods Accompanying and a separate BSF186 for Goods to Follow. So basically I will be holding two separate BSF186 forms for GA and GTF. Is my understanding correct?

3. GOODS ACCOMPANYING: In GA form will I have to mention my laptop and mobile phone as well? Will I have to mention the clothes in my suitcase that I am carrying with me? All these things will be going back with me. I plan on travelling light the first time.

4. GOODS TO FOLLOW: So I was trying to make a list for GTF that I will declare on landing and I have an idea how I will break it down but the confusion that I am having is regarding clothes, shoes, toys, bags, purses and similar items. Now I cannot possibly break down my clothes and my family's clothes into pants, shirts, socks, suits etc. My point is can I just write clothes give an approximate value of all my clothing, same with shoes or does it have to be categorized? To what extent the categories have to be because it will be a daunting and time consuming task if it has to be each and every item of clothing.

Any help or guidance or experience will be helpful and I will be extremely grateful if anyone can help me out.

Thanks

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. This is perfectly OK. You don't need to carry the money with you, and most of the time they will not ask for proof, just the amount. If they do ask for proof, show them your bank statements etc.

2, 3, 4 - You don't have to fill out the forms. CBSA will do that for you. You also don't need to list the goods accompanying separately, unless you have a lot of luggage.

What you do need to do is create a list of your goods. You do not have to itemize every small thing - but you should itemize things that are expensive. In my case, I chose to itemize electronics that cost more that US$500 (TV, Laptop, that kind of thing), jewelry and expensive watches. With expensive electronics, I listed the serial number, and I took pictures of the jewelry and watches and listed each one separately with an approximate value. Everything on this list was at least US$500 or more.

Clothes, shoes, books, household stuff - club those together.

1. 8 boxes of clothes
2. 3 boxes of shoes
3. 4 boxes of kitchen equipment

and so on.

Finally, give them an approximate total value for everything in Canadian dollars. Mine was low six figures CAD, for example. That's what they will put on your customs receipt.

Here's a sample of my list. I had ~180 items, and then jewelry and watches was a separate list. The numbers are the approximate values in CAD

28 Nintendo Switch game console with 2 pro controllers SERIALNUMBER 568.54
29 Datto Mini PC and charger SERIALNUMBER 65.05
30 Assorted Hobby Electronics Box 1 26.02
31 Assorted Hobby Electronics Box 2 32.53
32 Assorted Hobby Electronics Box 3 31.22
33 Assorted Hobby Electronics Box 4 26.02
34 Assortment of chargers, wires document etc 26.02
35 Bed tray table 65.05
36 Box of framed prints 260.20
37 Coffee Table Rectangular 389.00
38 CPU Tower 1301.00
39 Cuisinart citrus juicer 26.02