+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Queries

SKGarg

Apr 21, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have couple of questions concerning the landing procedure / the goods accompanying and to follow lists. Most of queries are resolved while going through online blogs but still need information on following points, so looking forward your help

1. Do we have any price limit on individual item/ jewelry and total amount?

2. As $19,093 CAD is required for 3 applicants. So, can we carry cash/traveler/Forex card etc. approx. CAD $4-5k and for rest stamped bank letter head? OR it’s mandatory to carry CAD 10K cash?

3. Any restriction on carrying one laptop as cabin bag?

4. Can we carry general medicines (cold, cough etc.) for adults/child? If yes, do we need doctor’s prescription for same?

5. Do we need attested copies of any Personal/Educational/Professional documents e.g. (marksheets/certificates/Experience/ R&R Letters etc.)?

6. Any recommendation for insurance coverage/company for first three months?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
SK

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have couple of questions concerning the landing procedure / the goods accompanying and to follow lists. Most of queries are resolved while going through online blogs but still need information on following points, so looking forward your help

1. Do we have any price limit on individual item/ jewelry and total amount?

2. As $19,093 CAD is required for 3 applicants. So, can we carry cash/traveler/Forex card etc. approx. CAD $4-5k and for rest stamped bank letter head? OR it’s mandatory to carry CAD 10K cash?

3. Any restriction on carrying one laptop as cabin bag?

4. Can we carry general medicines (cold, cough etc.) for adults/child? If yes, do we need doctor’s prescription for same?

5. Do we need attested copies of any Personal/Educational/Professional documents e.g. (marksheets/certificates/Experience/ R&R Letters etc.)?

6. Any recommendation for insurance coverage/company for first three months?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
SK
- How much money you should bring
Research how much it costs to live in the place where you plan to settle in Canada.

Bring as much money as you can to make moving and finding a home in Canada easier. Canadian customs regulations require you to declare if you're bringing more than CAN$10,000 into Canada. If you don't tell them, you may be fined, and your funds could be seized. This includes:

• cash
  • documents that show property or capital payable to you, such as:
    • stocks
    • bonds
    • debentures
    • treasury bills
  • documents that guarantee payment of a set amount of money, which are payable to you, such as:
    • banker's drafts
    • cheques
    • travellers’ cheques
    • money orders
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html

- Get basic funds which you would require say for the first 15 days, by which you can set up your bank account and then Have your balance funds transferred to this account

- No issues on that

- Yes you can, Not really required to keep prescription as such. Keep medicines enough for 3 months as ohip coverage will start after 3 months only

- No not required, keep your originals with you and bring it over. Keep your child’s birth certificate(original) up in your hand baggage airlines or Canadian immigration may ask you

- Insurance is gonna be a rip off sir, would not advise you...

Last edited:
Reactions: SKGarg

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
1. No

2. Yes. You can carry CAD $4-5k in Cash/TC/Forex cards and show rest amount in Bank Statements. Assuming you are coming from India, please check how much cash you are allowed to take out of India.

3. Mostly not. Check with airlines.

4. Prescription required.

5. No.

6. Highly recommended. Most popular ones are Manulife (expensive) and Destination Canada ( cheaper).

SKGarg

Apr 21, 2018
Thanks bimale4bipeople/APPNOV2014NY

Yes, we are travelling from India and suspect that max limit is 10k (Primary+Dependent) without declaration.
Kindly correct me if there is any change.

And in case of medicines, Do we need declare same in BSF186 form? if yes, Do we need to specify each medicine?

Thanks again !

Regards,
SK

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018

Yes, we are traveling from India and suspect that max limit is 10k (Primary+Dependent) without declaration.

And in case of medicines, Do we need declare same in BSF186 form? if yes, Do we need to specify each medicine?

Thanks again !

Regards,
SK
Yeah the 10K limit is for the family...

I remember when I did my own landing(i came on a WP last yr). I did not declare any thing neither filled up that form...
after few weeks or a month or more I arranged for a container to be shipped from my previous country to ship to Canada.... this is where the shipping company which was supporting me with the paperwork provided me the document and asked me to get the clearance done from the local customs office(located near Toronto airport)...

Your case maybe different than mine since you are coming on PR... check this thread out https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sample-bsf186-and-bsf186a-attached-for-ref.525057/

and also this link: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014

Yes, we are travelling from India and suspect that max limit is 10k (Primary+Dependent) without declaration.

Thanks again !

Regards,
SK
There are 2 limits:

1. Foreign currency you can take out of India. RBI decides that. It's somewhere between 3k-5k USD. It's rarely checked in India though.

https://www.rbi.org.in/Scripts/FAQView.aspx?Id=11

2. Cash you can bring into Canada. 10k CAD limit per family with declaration. If carrying more than 10k CAD you need to declare it.

Yes. You need to declare medicines in BSF 186 form. No, you don't need to carry individual medicine.

wanmare

Jan 3, 2018
There are 2 limits:

1. Foreign currency you can take out of India. RBI decides that. It's somewhere between 3k-5k USD. It's rarely checked in India though.

https://www.rbi.org.in/Scripts/FAQView.aspx?Id=11

2. Cash you can bring into Canada. 10k CAD limit per family with declaration. If carrying more than 10k CAD you need to declare it.

Yes. You need to declare medicines in BSF 186 form. No, you don't need to carry individual medicine.
Can you provide me with official link where this information is declared, please? Thank you!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Can you provide me with official link where this information is declared, please? Thank you!
A link to which India, Canada or reference medications ?

For Canada currency declaration see here, although you can bring in any amount you must declare over 10k, that includes any currency in you or your families possession. This is more about money laundering or proceeds of crime, there is no upper limit as long as declared.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vdd-eng.html

Medication primarily concerns importing prescription medication although both prescription and over counter must not be more than 90 days supply.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

Note it is illegal for residents to have prescription drugs mailed or couriered into the country.see section 6 figure 2 in below link

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/compliance-enforcement/importation-exportation/guidance-document-import-requirements-health-products-under-food-drugs-act-regulations-0084.html#a6

Last edited:

wanmare

Jan 3, 2018
A link to which India, Canada or reference medications ?

For Canada currency declaration see here, although you can bring in any amount you must declare over 10k, that includes any currency in you or your families possession. This is more about money laundering or proceeds of crime, there is no upper limit as long as declared.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vdd-eng.html

Medication primarily concerns importing prescription medication although both prescription and over counter must not be more than 90 days supply.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

Note it is illegal for residents to have prescription drugs mailed or couriered into the country.see section 6 figure 2 in below link

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/compliance-enforcement/importation-exportation/guidance-document-import-requirements-health-products-under-food-drugs-act-regulations-0084.html#a6
Thank you for your reply. My prev message was about medication and
"Cash you can bring into Canada. 10k CAD limit per family with declaration. If carrying more than 10k CAD you need to declare it."
And this quote is not stated in official documents. I was asking about the information about money for FAMILY was taken from.

Thank you for the information.

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
Hi All,

Me & my spouse are planning a soft landing for 2 weeks in canada and plan to visit multiple canadian cities during these 2 weeks.
We might catch a cold/cough/mild fever during the trip and hence thinking

a) Are we allowed to carry medicines while landing for the first time in Canada?
b) Shall i carry these only in Carry on baggage?
c) Do we need to mention about medicines in GOODS ACCOMPANYING form? or in any other declaration?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Why bring a whole load of medicines / drugs when Canada does strangely enough have pharmacies you might want on a soft landing for colds, flu etc.

A. Sure you can bring medicines, any prescription ones must bring the prescription with you
B.prescription ones probably best to hand carry, don’t think matters for over counter ones.
C.dont believe so but others can correct me.

note you can only bring up to 90 days supply and is illegal to have any mailed to you from outside of the country when you finally move.

also you should check any over counter drugs or any prescription ones are legal in Canada given different countries have different rules.

Last edited:

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
One more query on soft landing.
Ive prepare a Goods Accompanying list and also a Goods to follow list. Now once I come back to India, the goods accompanying would again be back in India and will again need to be moved to Canada when I permanently plan to move their. Any idea how will this work? Will these goods be allowed duty free then?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
One more query on soft landing.
Ive prepare a Goods Accompanying list and also a Goods to follow list. Now once I come back to India, the goods accompanying would again be back in India and will again need to be moved to Canada when I permanently plan to move their. Any idea how will this work? Will these goods be allowed duty free then?
It sounds like there is some gap in your knowledge on what these terms mean.
When you land first time with intent to settle (hard landing), your accompanying list will provide list of items accompanying you, your following list will provide list of items that you intend to bring in subsequently.

You are not expected to do this formality during soft landing.

During hard landing, goods officer will make note of both of your lists and will strike items off your following list as and when you bring them in country in subsequent trips/cargo dispatches.

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
It sounds like there is some gap in your knowledge on what these terms mean.
When you land first time with intent to settle (hard landing), your accompanying list will provide list of items accompanying you, your following list will provide list of items that you intend to bring in subsequently.

You are not expected to do this formality during soft landing.

During hard landing, goods officer will make note of both of your lists and will strike items off your following list as and when you bring them in country in subsequent trips/cargo dispatches.
Hey

Slightky confused now. For the immigration officer ideally it doesnt matter whether it is soft landing or hard landing. They would evaluate it as a first time landing and allow whatever I carry and ask for things to follow. The problem is, when we generally move in and out of canada, how does customs check work subsequent times. For example consider this, We take jewellery & laptops 10k CAD during soft landing. We then bring them back. Now next time when we land again, wont they again check for Jewellery and Laptops?