+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing process

ElusiveTiger

Star Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi all,

My wife and son are landing this Saturday in Toronto as PRs for the first time. What can they expect?

And how does the SIN card, health card, etc work?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

My wife and son are landing this Saturday in Toronto as PRs for the first time. What can they expect?

Thanks
They can expect to celebrate! Congrats to you all!

Can't speak about the process at YYZ airport, but it could take some time, depending on others that may also be landing.

The application for the PR Cards should be done for them during the process (or the officer will do so afterwards).

The Service Canada department may have now re-opened, following Covid-19 closures for getting the SIN.
https://arrivein.com/daily-life-in-canada/arriving-at-toronto-pearson-airport-as-a-newcomer/

---
Get your Social Insurance Number (SIN) at Service Canada

Newcomers arriving at Toronto Pearson Airport during business hours may be able to get their Social Insurance Number (SIN) before leaving the airport. There is a Service Canada centre inside the airport, although it has remained closed during the pandemic.

If the Service Canada centre is open when you land, you can fill out a form to obtain a new SIN. You will need to show your passport and signed COPR and provide a Canadian address (it doesn’t have to be a permanent address). You will receive your SIN on the spot within a few minutes.

If you can’t get your SIN at the airport, you can apply for one online, by mail, or in person at another Service Canada centre near you. Read our article on how to get a Social Insurance Number in Canada for more information.
---

Health Card will depend on whether or not they are staying in Ontario, or ultimately settling in a different province. If Ontario is their new home, here's som info:
https://moving2canada.com/living/healthcare/health-insurance-in-ontario-newcomers/
(There is a 3 month waiting period before they will have coverage)

Work...can start as soon as they find work.

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Hi all,

Thanks
My wife landed at YYZ in Feb. We arrived at 7pm and there were no line-ups at all in customs or when she did the landing process with immigration. Directly after you complete the landing and before you collect your bags, there is a Services Canada, and they will issue you a SIN in 5 minutes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks
Hopefully you have a permanent address now and not a van because that will be a factor in trying to apply for a health card