+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing/PR/Medical Surveillance doubts - please help

hyh

Dec 28, 2010
Dear All,

First of all I wanna thank everyone in this forum for their great efforts Grin

I'm planning to land in Toronto on 20.01.11 ( I mentioned "Ontario - Ottawa" as my landing province in the initial application ). After finishing the landing formalities, I'll fly to Montreal because my relatives are staying there.
Once in Montreal, I'm planning to contact the medical surveillance guys to take an appointment.(BTW my case is “inactive TB” and I have no TB history)
Keep in mind that my flight back is scheduled on 05.02.11 so I have around two weeks in Canada and I'm not planing to settle down in Canada until 2013.

Now my questions :

1. Can I fly from Toronto to Montreal directly after finishing the landing formalities ? ( i"m not planing to leave Toronto Airport)

2. In the "medical surveillance handout" that i received with the COPR it's clearly mentioned that i should contact "a public health authority in your province/territory of residence unless you are living in Quebec"
Now since I'm staying with my relatives in Quebec, can i do the medical surveillance in Quebec or i have to start the process in Toronto ? and if i started my medical surveillance process in Toronto, can i do the follow up in Quebec ?

3. Would two weeks be enough to finish the surveillance issue ?? ( I've read a lot of threads on the forum and apparently it can take up to 3 years)

4. If the surveillance is not concluded during my stay in Canada, will I get my PR or PR won't be issued until the medical surveillance is done ??

5. Can I call the medical surveillance guys before landing (from my country) to take an appointment ??

6. I'm planing to settle in Montreal so what shall i do after landing to transfer my case to Quebec ?

I really appreciate the time that you took to read the above and your input on the same.

Thank you and God bless..

hyh

Dec 28, 2010
guys/seniors/qorax ... I'll be landing in two weeks ...

can i at least get an answer of the first question :

1. Can I fly from Toronto to Montreal directly after finishing the landing formalities ? ( i"m not planing to leave Toronto Airport) ??

thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are not supposed to settle in Quebec when you come through the skilled worker program. Still, I think it will be fine because it is not like you have to show them the transit ticket. You do your landing papers and they will not know if you turn around and go to domestic flights or if you leave the airport. In case they ask, you are not settling in QC, you are going to visit your relatives.

Once you are staying at your relatives, you can phone the health centre and tell them that you have landed and are currently visiting relatives in QC. Since you are staying such a short time, they may not even want to give you an appointment this time. You could also phone them right now and ask them about this.

When you finally move in 2013 you can ask what you would do to transfer your medical surveilance to QC.

hyh

Dec 28, 2010
thank you "leon" .. much appreciated

do you know if I'll get my PR even if i don't finish the medical surveillance ??
and would the immigration officer accept my relative's address in Montreal as the place for my PR card delivery (since i'm landing in Toronto) ?

Thanks again and happy new year to all ...

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
hyh said:
thank you "leon" .. much appreciated

do you know if I'll get my PR even if i don't finish the medical surveillance ??
and would the immigration officer accept my relative's address in Montreal as the place for my PR card delivery (since i'm landing in Toronto) ?

Thanks again and happy new year to all ...
Yes.
The Med Survl formalities is independent of the PR cards processing.

Qorax

qsw

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
nd
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
19may2011
hello hyh
we are on the same boat i recieved med survl papers.
i wiil land in montreal.
qsw

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you are landing as an FSW, I can imagine that they might refuse a Quebec address. You can tell them that you will arrange an address later, take a quick trip to Ontario and arrange an address at UPS that forwards to your relatives in Montreal and then give immigration the Ontario address to send your PR card to. You could also not get your PR card this time, you still get your PR status, just leave the card until you come to Canada to stay.

hyh

Dec 28, 2010
thank you guys ... very helpful info here :)

since i"m planing to take the internal flight to Montreal i was wondering how much time would it take to finish the POE procedure as stated in Qorax thread:
PROCEDURE AT THE POE:
Irrespective of which city we chose to land, the 'landing' per se, is a simple process. Before debarking the a/craft we'll be provided with a 'Disembarkation Card/Form'. We take that form & first go to the 'Passport Control'.

At the Passport Control:
Here we need to inform the IO that we have come to do our 'landing'. The IO will check our Disembarkation Card and our passport/s & visa. S/he will then direct us to "Newly Landed Immigrants' Counter".

At the Immigration Counter:
The IO here will scrutinize our Passport/s & COPRs. He would [sometimes may not] ask to see our POF. Most of the times the officer will not count the 'actual' money & accept what we say. But, no false pretensions there. S/he will then fill some portions of the COPR & ask us to sign it, wherein it'll be attached on our passport. We'll be asked to fill-in the 'PR Card Application Form' & give an address where our PR cards will be forwarded within 3-6 weeks. Thereby, s/he would 'Welcome us to Canada' and direct us to another office.

At the Services Canada Office:
The Services Canada section is for assisting the Newcomers' settlement moves. Here we'll get lots of books/pamphlets, that'll provide all the crucial info on Canada and our Settlement plan here. From here will be directed to the CBSA counter.

At the CBSA [Customs] Office:
This is an important location. We are required to present (1) List of Items Accompanying; (2) List of Goods to Follow; (3) Currency Declaration [We'd have to 'declare' any amount of $10K or more]. Lists-1 & 2 must be brought in 2 copies, one would be retained by CBSA and the 2nd copy will be returned back to us. We'll need the 2nd copy when our shipments come-in.
and which airline to take .. i found air canada and westjet ??

Thanks a million and happy new year everyone ... :D :D

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
hyh said:
thank you guys ... very helpful info here :)

since i"m planing to take the internal flight to Montreal i was wondering how much time would it take to finish the POE procedure as stated in Qorax thread:
and which airline to take .. i found air canada and westjet ??

Thanks a million and happy new year everyone ... :D :D
A 15-30 mins job (max 1hr, including picking-up the baggage & exiting the a/port), besides the waiting queue, if any.
Qorax

venkuds

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Qorax/Hyh

I am also in same boat. I am planning to land in calgary on some time june. The send IMM0535- medical surveillance form. As per that i need to report health care dept with in 30days. I saw your answer "The Med Survl formalities is independent of the PR cards processing"

Whic broght some home to me. I am planning to stay only in 2 or 3 days in calgary. then come back to USA. Can i call them immediately after laning formalities over? will i get PR if I do not go for medical surveillance?

Please help me...

venkat

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I did a Google search for "medical surveillance" and came up with this link. There are others. Here is an excerpt, hope it helps. http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/168/12/1563

Those who complete an adequate course of treatment for either active or latent disease can usually be discharged from follow-up. The duration of follow-up for those not treated may last up to 3–5 years, depending upon the risk of relapse or reactivation, especially with a drug-resistant strain of TB. It is not uncommon that those who are under routine medical surveillance present with symptoms of active TB at a time other than the scheduled review appointment.8 It is therefore important that primary care physicians be alert to the potential for TB and be able to initiate diagnostic interventions without delay. Lack of appropriate follow-up of individuals with inactive TB on chest radiograph will compromise the cost-effectiveness of the surveillance program.9 If an individual develops symptoms of active TB, it is important that he or she be seen promptly to reduce the possible spread of the disease. People who are discharged from follow-up should be advised to seek medical attention promptly if they develop symptoms suggestive of TB and to tell their medical providers about their history of having been placed under medical surveillance for TB as a result of their immigration medical examination.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
venkuds said:
Dear Qorax/Hyh

I am also in same boat. I am planning to land in calgary on some time june. The send IMM0535- medical surveillance form. As per that i need to report health care dept with in 30days. I saw your answer "The Med Survl formalities is independent of the PR cards processing"

Whic broght some home to me. I am planning to stay only in 2 or 3 days in calgary. then come back to USA. Can i call them immediately after laning formalities over? will i get PR if I do not go for medical surveillance?

Please help me...

venkat
1. The Med Surv process takes enormous time to clear-off... over 4-6 months.
2. U have to report to a specialized Health Clinic [not all clinics handle Med Surv cases].
3. Most likely u got the Med Surv due to inactive Tb... the process here'd be same as u did while the meds furtherance came-in.
4. Yes, ucan report to that clinic asap, after landing.
5. U'd be taking some initial tests [like the sputum swab] & they'd give u referral dates.
6. U aren't required to stay-put in Canada in the meanwhile... u can return to the US.
7. However, u'd be required to report to the same clinic on the referred dates !
8. The process is long... and when the clinic finds u 'cured' -- they'd provide a clean-chit [online reporting to Health Canada].
9. This report remains permanently in your records here.
10. Yes, the PR Cards would sill arrive - even if u don't report to the clinic.
11. For reEntering Canada from the US u don't require the PR cards, if u take a pvt conveyance, by road.
12. If u never report to the/any clinic u'd receive a summons from Health Canada over a pd of time.
13. Unless u report - your free healthcare would be in abeyance [except emergency care].
14. Ditto for the Med Cards... they'd be on hold.

Good luck !
Qorax

Nakulpatel90

Oct 7, 2017
1. The Med Surv process takes enormous time to clear-off... over 4-6 months.
2. U have to report to a specialized Health Clinic [not all clinics handle Med Surv cases].
3. Most likely u got the Med Surv due to inactive Tb... the process here'd be same as u did while the meds furtherance came-in.
4. Yes, ucan report to that clinic asap, after landing.
5. U'd be taking some initial tests [like the sputum swab] & they'd give u referral dates.
6. U aren't required to stay-put in Canada in the meanwhile... u can return to the US.
7. However, u'd be required to report to the same clinic on the referred dates !
8. The process is long... and when the clinic finds u 'cured' -- they'd provide a clean-chit [online reporting to Health Canada].
9. This report remains permanently in your records here.
10. Yes, the PR Cards would sill arrive - even if u don't report to the clinic.
11. For reEntering Canada from the US u don't require the PR cards, if u take a pvt conveyance, by road.
12. If u never report to the/any clinic u'd receive a summons from Health Canada over a pd of time.
13. Unless u report - your free healthcare would be in abeyance [except emergency care].
14. Ditto for the Med Cards... they'd be on hold.

Good luck !
Qorax
Hi! Qorax,

My question is similar to this. I will come in December 2017 and live for next 3 weeks to complete the process of landing. Also, I am on medical surveillance and will be staying in Niagara. I will then not be in Canada for next two years except for Easter and Xmas holidays as I am studying PhD in U.K. My plan is to settle after finishing my PhD in third year of my PR. My questions are as follows:

1) Will 3 three weeks be long enough to take an appointment with the medical professional there and return back to U.K? OR are appointment with regards to the Medical surveillance made available within days or weeks tp carry out required tests, after which I will only have to come for those follow-up appointments for few days and back to U.K. until I come back permanently.

2) If I have not finished formalities of medical surveillance in my first visit, can I do it when I come there permanently, in my third year?

3) Assuming option 2 is doable, will it affect my citizenship application in future? Technically it shouldn't, as by then I would have completed it when I come in my third year?

Your help in the matter is duly appreciated.

Thank you,
Nakul