+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing, PR Cards and Travel Documents

Mar 10, 2016
Well, my partner is finally landing next week and we're trying to make sure we have thing sin order. I'm having trouble getting precise information.
- He is a US citizen (visa-exempt)
- Has his COPR and valid passport
- list of all goods coming with him into Canada

Does he need to have an Application for PR Card (IM5444) or is that only for replacement cards? I saw one post suggesting having the form ready and photos and this did not seem accurate to me?

While we wait for PR Card

We will be needing to leave Canada together for a vacation we'e had planned for ages in about 3 weeks after he lands. We understood that, until recently, as a visa-exempt country citizen, COPR and passport was enough, but the rules just changed. We'd like to apply for the travel document right away as we know exactly what day we will be retuning to Canada together, but we must be outside of Canada to apply?
- But we'll be on vacation and there is no where for the document to be mailed...
- We're leaving approximately August 8th and returning to Canada via plane on September 7th (Less than 6 weeks for travel document processing)
Any suggestions?!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
He doesn't need IMM5444.

As a US citizen, he doesn't need a PR travel document. He can return to Canada on the strength of his passport. Do not inform the airline of his PR status, as they may refuse to board him without a PR card or PRTD.

Mar 10, 2016
I thought so, but came across this on the forum:

Canada's entry requirements are changing

Starting March 15, 2016, if you are a permanent resident of Canada and a citizen of a visa-exempt country, you will need to travel with your Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or permanent resident travel document when flying to Canada. Otherwise, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada. Permanent residents who are citizens of visa-required countries will continue to need to show their PR card when boarding a flight to Canada.

rule-for-short-landing-in-canada-to-get-pr-card-and-go-back-to-home-country-t280152.0. html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
esta.es.nuestra said:
Starting March 15, 2016, if you are a permanent resident of Canada and a citizen of a visa-exempt country, you will need to travel with your Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or permanent resident travel document when flying to Canada. Otherwise, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada. Permanent residents who are citizens of visa-required countries will continue to need to show their PR card when boarding a flight to Canada.
This is because of the eTA requirement starting Sept 29th. Until then ,visa-exempt people can still travel to Canada using just their passport. After the eTA becomes mandatory, visa-exempt people will not be able to use that loophole anymore, with the exception of US citizens who will be exempt from the eTA program.

MexiJen

Mar 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa and Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
App. Filed 24/10/2016, CIC Received 26/10/2016
Doc's Request.
03/03/2016
File Transfer...
SA by E-Mail 08/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04/05/2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10/05/2016
Hi
My common law spouse and I seem to be in a similar situation as you.

We received his conformation of PR to present at any border or international airport and his picture is attached which I assume they use for his PR card.
My question is, once he gives in this paper does he have to wait before he leaves Canada because we have a trip planned in September and with the postal strike who knows how long it will take to get the card?
Also i know you can bring belongings twice but is the first one upon landing?

One more thing, in our paper work it says he has to be in the country 700 something days in order to maintain PR or become a citizen but it doesn't say anything about having to stay in the country a certain amount of time once he initially checks in. Is there a certain amount of time or just the 700 something days in a 5 years.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MexiJen said:
My question is, once he gives in this paper does he have to wait before he leaves Canada because we have a trip planned in September and with the postal strike who knows how long it will take to get the card?

Also i know you can bring belongings twice but is the first one upon landing?

One more thing, in our paper work it says he has to be in the country 700 something days in order to maintain PR or become a citizen but it doesn't say anything about having to stay in the country a certain amount of time once he initially checks in. Is there a certain amount of time or just the 700 something days in a 5 years.
As an American, he will have no issues returning to Canada on the strength of his passport. Don't inform the airline of his PR status, as they may refuse to board him without a PR card or PRTD.

Yes, the first time is when he lands. At that time, he needs to declare what goods he has with him and any goods to follow.

There is no minimum amount of time he must initially be in the country before he can leave. In the first 5 years from the date he lands, he must spend at least 730 days in Canada. After the 5 year mark, he must be able to look back at the previous 5 years and have at least 730 days in Canada. Note that time spent outside of Canada with a Canadian citizen spouse counts towards the 730 days.

Mar 10, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
This is because of the eTA requirement starting Sept 29th. Until then ,visa-exempt people can still travel to Canada using just their passport. After the eTA becomes mandatory, visa-exempt people will not be able to use that loophole anymore, with the exception of US citizens who will be exempt from the eTA program.
Thanks for the clarification canuk_in_uk!