+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing options during Canadian tourist visit

HybridAir

May 5, 2016
I am a US citizen who is being sponsored for outland Canadian Permanent Residence by my Canadian wife. I am currently visiting Canada as a tourist, so I can be with my wife as we wait for my PR application to process and complete. Chances are, I will be receiving my PPR, and possibly even my COPR before I need to return to the US in May.

My original plans are to return to my home in Arizona, USA in May with my wife (who will be visiting the US as a tourist) by plane. I will then pack up my belongings in my car, and drive the 5 days with her to enter/land in Canada in the Ottawa/Toronto border area. I will be doing all the required paperwork regarding importing my car, etc. My wife will be returning to Canada with as usual with me, except this time it will be by car instead of plane.

Provided I get my COPR earlier than my scheduled return flight in May, should I consider rescheduling my return flight and do the above landing process earlier? Or is it possible/advisable to land during my current tourist visit in Canada, get my PR status, and then return to the US to get my car and belongings later? Am I even right to assume that I can follow through with my original plan? I have done the research regarding it, but I would appreciate a second opinion.

Thank you for the help.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
HybridAir said:
I am a US citizen who is being sponsored for outland Canadian Permanent Residence by my Canadian wife. I am currently visiting Canada as a tourist, so I can be with my wife as we wait for my PR application to process and complete. Chances are, I will be receiving my PPR, and possibly even my COPR before I need to return to the US in May.

My original plans are to return to my home in Arizona, USA in May with my wife (who will be visiting the US as a tourist) by plane. I will then pack up my belongings in my car, and drive the 5 days with her to enter/land in Canada in the Ottawa/Toronto border area. I will be doing all the required paperwork regarding importing my car, etc. My wife will be returning to Canada with as usual with me, except this time it will be by car instead of plane.

Provided I get my COPR earlier than my scheduled return flight in May, should I consider rescheduling my return flight and do the above landing process earlier? Or is it possible/advisable to land during my current tourist visit in Canada, get my PR status, and then return to the US to get my car and belongings later? Am I even right to assume that I can follow through with my original plan? I have done the research regarding it, but I would appreciate a second opinion.

Thank you for the help.
You can do it either way, as long as you land by the expiration date on your CoPR (usually one year after your medical). Whatever is most convenient.

HybridAir

May 5, 2016
Omegabyte said:
You can do it either way, as long as you land by the expiration date on your CoPR (usually one year after your medical). Whatever is most convenient.
Just to verify, do you mean that both my "original plan" and "original plan but rescheduled" plans are good, and not the latter "land during visit in Canada" plan?

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
HybridAir said:
Just to verify, do you mean that both my "original plan" and "original plan but rescheduled" plans are good, and not the latter "land during visit in Canada" plan?
Any of the three. Whatever is most convenient, and gets you landed before the expiration date of your CoPR.

Even if you land before you bring your things up, you'll still need to provide CBSA a list of "goods to follow", which would be the car and belongings. Search online for BSF186/BSF186A forms. They're pretty easy to fill out. http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/menu-eng.html

HybridAir

May 5, 2016
Thank you very much for all the help! I think I'll stick with the first option as that seems to be the most convenient. In case anyone else is in this situation and is considering the third option, I found a relevant forum thread here that might be of use. I cannot post links yet, but this might get you in the right direction: how-to-land-in-canada-applied-outland-but-staying-inland-on-a-visitor-visa-t317371.0.html