+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing on COPR and use old visitor visa to enter again

Peterpan.tintin

Sep 24, 2018
Hi,

I got my COPR and 1 time entry visa. I am planning to enter in Canada from USA by road, then planning to fly to India from Canada and then planning to return from India to Canada after a month

As PR card will arrive in about two months, I am trying to figure how would I return back from India to Canada without PR card. Can I use my old multiple entry visa which I got couple of years ago and still good for another 8 years ? At least on passports they didn't cancel old visa while stamping 1 time visa while giving COPR.
I don't want to get into hassle or applying for temporary travel document and will only fly from Canada to India if I can re-enter on my old visitor visa.

Please help
Thanks in advance

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Once you are a PR your TRV will be cancelled at some point in the system and you will be expected at checkin in India to produce either a PR card or PRTd. Just because it is in your passport still does not make it valid once a PR but is upto you if you want to take the risk that the airline checkin shows you as a no board without a card or PRTD.

Nobody here can really speculate on the outcome other than to reiterate as a PR anything before as a temp resident / visitor is cancelled could be immediate could be after a slight unknown delay, your decision. A month out of the country should be enough time to get a PRTD

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

I got my COPR and 1 time entry visa. I am planning to enter in Canada from USA by road, then planning to fly to India from Canada and then planning to return from India to Canada after a month

As PR card will arrive in about two months, I am trying to figure how would I return back from India to Canada without PR card. Can I use my old multiple entry visa which I got couple of years ago and still good for another 8 years ? At least on passports they didn't cancel old visa while stamping 1 time visa while giving COPR.
I don't want to get into hassle or applying for temporary travel document and will only fly from Canada to India if I can re-enter on my old visitor visa.

Please help
Thanks in advance
Use of a TRV to travel after you have landed as a PR is actually fraudulent. As a PR, you are not eligible to hold any Canadian visa. Do with that information what you will... CBSA should physically void the counterfoil in your passport but sometimes they forget. Regardless, it's still void.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Please help
Thanks in advance
No - you won't be able to use your old TRV. It was canceled in the system as soon as you become a PR. You'll need to apply for a PRTD to return or fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border crossing.

Peterpan.tintin

Sep 24, 2018
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. It helped making my decision to land in canada asap.
I have landed on Dec 8th, flying to India on Jan 31st. Fingers crossed, hopefully my PR card would arrive by then. Otherwise will look into options of applying temporary travel permit.

Reactions: zardoz