+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing of parents - can I come to the airport and help in translation?

julian.b

Jan 8, 2017
Hi,

I am wondering how it works when one's parents land in Canada (after PGP sponsorship) and they don't speak much English. Can a son come to the airport and help in translation so that parents can get their PR? Will they let me in at the airport?.
Or maybe I have to purchase a cheap flight to the US and back so that I am together with them when they do landing. Or maybe it is enough if I translate via phone.

Your past experiences would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Julian

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
julian.b said:
Hi,

I am wondering how it works when one's parents land in Canada (after PGP sponsorship) and they don't speak much English. Can a son come to the airport and help in translation so that parents can get their PR? Will they let me in at the airport?.
Or maybe I have to purchase a cheap flight to the US and back so that I am together with them when they do landing. Or maybe it is enough if I translate via phone.

Your past experiences would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Julian
No you will not be allowed into the immigration area if you just walk into the airport.

Only was is as you said, if you also book an international flight into Canada arriving at the same time as them you can then go to immigration with them.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
They have translators in the airport, so they can be assisted.
Just tell your parents to ask for translator help when they arrive. There's people in arrival area(customs hall) who can help them.

Give your parents your phone number, ask them to have it handy on a paper if necessary so that CBSA can contact u if necessary.
You can then wait in arrivals area with your phone and be ready.

teletran

Jun 2, 2018
How did it end up working out for you? We are in a similar situation re parents that do not speak English and I am wondering what is the best course of action. I am not sure they will have translators on standby for the particular language they speak.

M

mikeymyke

Just get your parents to bring an English written note saying that they need a Vietnamese translator and here is their child's phone number and name if they have any questions.