+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing - Need Clarification

MissDW

May 5, 2016
Hi everyone,

We are moving back to Canada in February now that my fiance has COPR.

My question is around the landing. We are bringing almost all of our possessions with us on the plane (we've decided to get rid of most of our things and start fresh in Canada) however we are shipping one box of sentimental/personal items.

On the Goods to Follow list, does my fiance need to list ONLY his items that are in the box, or do we have to list everything even though some of them are mine? We're also flying into Vancouver, but from what I've read we need to go to a customs depot with the Goods To Follow list? What does that mean?

I'm just generally confused by all this, so if someone could clarify for me, I'd really appreciate it!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
if it's 1 box of household items, he can declare all the items as his own. i don't think it would be an issue. since he's shipping it, i'd assume the shipping company would need a detailed account about its contents, and it doesn't sound like the contents are going to raise concerns. When your fiance lands as a PR, the CBSA officers will either help him with his declaration form or send him to the appropriate office to do it.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
MissDW said:
Hi everyone,

We are moving back to Canada in February now that my fiance has COPR.

My question is around the landing. We are bringing almost all of our possessions with us on the plane (we've decided to get rid of most of our things and start fresh in Canada) however we are shipping one box of sentimental/personal items.

On the Goods to Follow list, does my fiance need to list ONLY his items that are in the box, or do we have to list everything even though some of them are mine? We're also flying into Vancouver, but from what I've read we need to go to a customs depot with the Goods To Follow list? What does that mean?

I'm just generally confused by all this, so if someone could clarify for me, I'd really appreciate it!
Do three typed lists (one 'original' and one 'copy') with estimated value for each item listed in CAD$

One list is for you and your 'goods accompanying'
Another list is for him and his 'goods accompanying'
The third list in whoevers name for your 'goods to follow'

Note that these lists do NOT have to be on any official Canadian forms, CBSA will do all that.

Hand them ALL over to CBSA who will fill out the necessary forms and hand you back signed copies for you to keep, and critically a signed and stamped copy of your 'goods to follow'.

Your goods to follow will arrive a few days / weeks later at a bonded store near the address you gave. You will be contacted by CBSA to attend that store for an inspection.

You attend as arranged, hand over the signed and stamped list you have, they inspect your good (generally they don't bother) and you collect your good (or arrange for onward shipping by your removals company.

That's it!

MissDW

May 5, 2016
That's fantastic Hurlabrick, thanks for the clarification! We usual, the Government of Canada's websites aren't exactly clear!

One thing to add. I'm not British, I'm Canadian, so I don't have to do any landing. Does the government still need a list of what I'm bringing into my own country?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
MissDW said:
One thing to add. I'm not British, I'm Canadian, so I don't have to do any landing. Does the government still need a list of what I'm bringing into my own country?
Yes.

I am in the same position as you and I have my own list.

The attached link to this wiki article helped me a lot. Gives you a good idea of the 'level of detail' so you don't overdo it!

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow

nbpb

Sep 21, 2015
Hi,
My husband (British) and I (Canadian) are moving to Canada in April. We already did his landing last year but officially moving with all our goods in April. Like you, MissDW we are getting rid off most of our things and only taking essentials in suitcases and looking to courier 1-2 boxes of essentials.
We are still looking for shipping companies from UK to Canada. Could you let me know which one you are using, please?

For us, our boxes might arrive in Canada weeks after we have moved, and I think we have to go in person to the Airport or Customs clearance area to collect our boxes - has anyone experience this? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks.