+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Toronto (As per COPR) but Flight connection in Montreal (Quebec)

PhoenixTahar

May 24, 2020
Hi everyone
I am planning my first landing in Canada (with my family) on the 22nd of June 2020 (COPR City of Destination: Toronto). I have PR Visa (FSW).
Due to disruption on international flights due to COVID19, we might need to take the available flight:" Doha - Toronto" with a 2-hour connection in Montreal (Quebec).

We are concerned about the FSW PR rule stating that the first landing should avoid Quebec. But here we are only transiting through Montreal Airport (Quebec).
  • Will Border Control in Montreal Airport allow us to enter and take our connection flight to Toronto (Domestic Flight) without going to immigration office in Montreal airport?
  • Would that cause any problem on completing our first landing process in Toronto airport (immigration office)? At arrival to Toronto, our passports will obviously show entry stamps done in Montreal and will be arriving with a domestic flight
Thank you

Tahar

PS: I am allowed to enter Canada as my PR was approved in January 2020 (Before COVID 19 restrictions).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone
I am planning my first landing in Canada (with my family) on the 22nd of June 2020 (COPR City of Destination: Toronto). I have PR Visa (FSW).
Due to disruption on international flights due to COVID19, we might need to take the available flight:" Doha - Toronto" with a 2-hour connection in Montreal (Quebec).

We are concerned about the FSW PR rule stating that the first landing should avoid Quebec. But here we are only transiting through Montreal Airport (Quebec).
  • Will Border Control in Montreal Airport allow us to enter and take our connection flight to Toronto (Domestic Flight) without going to immigration office in Montreal airport?
  • Would that cause any problem on completing our first landing process in Toronto airport (immigration office)? At arrival to Toronto, our passports will obviously show entry stamps done in Montreal and will be arriving with a domestic flight
Thank you

Tahar
You will have to go through immigration / landing processes in Montreal. No, border control in Montreal will not allow you to take your connecting flights to Toronto without going through immigration in Montreal. This isn't possible. You must complete landing formalities in the first Canadian airport you reach.

Flying through Montreal and completing landing formalities there won't be an issue. Plenty of people land in one airport and then transit to their final destination.

Reactions: PhoenixTahar

PhoenixTahar

May 24, 2020
You will have to go through immigration / landing processes in Montreal. No, border control in Montreal will not allow you to take your connecting flights to Toronto without going through immigration in Montreal. This isn't possible. You must complete landing formalities in the first Canadian airport you reach.

Flying through Montreal and completing landing formalities there won't be an issue. Plenty of people land in one airport and then transit to their final destination.
Thank you for your prompt reply scylla.
I have come to know from different sources that I should avoid completing the first landing process in Montreal Airport (Quebec) as they ask for CSQ which I obviously don't have (I have FSW PR visa). Is this going to cause any issues/complications there (as it's been reported)? or are they more tolerant considering the COVID19 travel restrictions? I appreciate your help on this.

EdwardQ

Apr 6, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottowa
AOR Received.
11-07-2019
Passport Req..
03-12-2019
VISA ISSUED...
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
21-12-2019
You call it connecting via Montreal. But technically you are landing in Montreal as your port of entry. I do highly recommend to book a connection via Europe If you are coming from Doha. Search the previous post on recommendations.
I know it's not optimal but you can get good deals on Skyscanner via LHR / Zurich and others.

EdwardQ

Apr 6, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottowa
AOR Received.
11-07-2019
Passport Req..
03-12-2019
VISA ISSUED...
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
21-12-2019
If you wants the Montreal connection make sure there is plenty of time for processing.

PhoenixTahar

May 24, 2020
You call it connecting via Montreal. But technically you are landing in Montreal as your port of entry. I do highly recommend to book a connection via Europe If you are coming from Doha. Search the previous post on recommendations.
I know it's not optimal but you can get good deals on Skyscanner via LHR / Zurich and others.
Thanks Edward. I could transit via LHR but I am concerned that I will need a Transit visa (I am Algerian) and I don't have much time left to apply for it. I have read on UK Gov website that I don't need a transit visa if I have a valid canadian visa (which is the case) and if I transit between terminals on airside. If however I cross the uk border control (to transfer my baggage), their website is saying that I "might be excempt from visa" which is not certain.
What would be the worst case scenario if I transit throught Montreal? Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
There should not be any issue transiting Montreal to Toronto assuming that is your destination people do this quite often when that is the only direct flight they can get. All CBSA will want to see to finalise any landing is that you have an onward connection to show you have no intention of settling in Quebec .

Where it could get complicated with the current quarantine requirements is that you probably need to ensure you stay airside and not exit into the airport proper, although this is a grey area in the official guidance for transit passengers.

CBSA will still at Montreal want to see your isolation plan for your final destination whilst that is still a mandatory requirement. As Montreal to Toronto is a domestic flight Montreal would be the only interaction you have with immigration to show an isolation plan.

As for worst case through Montreal they could allow you into Canada but not complete your landing, but that’s unlikely as long as you show a connecting flight plus currently Canada is restricting international flights to 4 airports Montreal,Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver so there is probably some flexibility allowed anyway.

You could miss your connection so ensure 2/3 hours between flights although if flying in next month or so doubt flights or immigration will be really busy, no way predict of course but travel is going to take a long time to get back to any volume, there simply are not the number of flights.

PhoenixTahar

May 24, 2020
There should not be any issue transiting Montreal to Toronto assuming that is your destination people do this quite often when that is the only direct flight they can get. All CBSA will want to see to finalise any landing is that you have an onward connection to show you have no intention of settling in Quebec .

Where it could get complicated with the current quarantine requirements is that you probably need to ensure you stay airside and not exit into the airport proper, although this is a grey area in the official guidance for transit passengers.

CBSA will still at Montreal want to see your isolation plan for your final destination whilst that is still a mandatory requirement. As Montreal to Toronto is a domestic flight Montreal would be the only interaction you have with immigration to show an isolation plan.

As for worst case through Montreal they could allow you into Canada but not complete your landing, but that’s unlikely as long as you show a connecting flight plus currently Canada is restricting international flights to 4 airports Montreal,Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver so there is probably some flexibility allowed anyway.

You could miss your connection so ensure 2/3 hours between flights although if flying in next month or so doubt flights or immigration will be really busy, no way predict of course but travel is going to take a long time to get back to any volume, there simply are not the number of flights.
Thanks for your clear and detailed response. For the worst scenario, If CBSA refuse to complete my landing in Montreal while allowing me to enter Canada (taking my connecting flight to Toronto). How can I complete my landing process later while I am in Canada? or Will I need to exit Canada and come back to complete it? Thank you.

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
Thanks for your clear and detailed response. For the worst scenario, If CBSA refuse to complete my landing in Montreal while allowing me to enter Canada (taking my connecting flight to Toronto). How can I complete my landing process later while I am in Canada? or Will I need to exit Canada and come back to complete it? Thank you.
As long as your destination is not Quebec, it should be fine. There's no such thing as being allowed to enter Canada for outland FSW candidates without landing first. If the officer denies you entry and you do not become a PR by signing your COPR, you won't be allowed into the country. This applies even if you can visit Canada without a visa, you will be denied entry as visiting Canada right now is considered non-essential.

PhoenixTahar

May 24, 2020
As long as your destination is not Quebec, it should be fine. There's no such thing as being allowed to enter Canada for outland FSW candidates without landing first. If the officer denies you entry and you do not become a PR by signing your COPR, you won't be allowed into the country. This applies even if you can visit Canada without a visa, you will be denied entry as visiting Canada right now is considered non-essential.
Thanks for your response. It seems that there are some grey areas around the subject and landing Montreal is not without risks. I will be exploring other possibilities and considering landing in Montreal as a last resort. Thank you.

Reactions: indianstudent96

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
Thanks for your response. It seems that there are some grey areas around the subject and landing Montreal is not without risks. I will be exploring other possibilities and considering landing in Montreal as a last resort. Thank you.
You are welcome. I wish you the very best.

Quorn

Star Member
Nov 28, 2017
Category........
FSW
Hi @PhoenixTahar I am in the same situation. We're in Doha and the only available direct flight is from doha to Montreal via qatar airways. Ideally we want to land in toronto. Please let's Keep each other informed of the developments.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Make sure to provide an address for your PR card which is outside of Quebec, make sure all of your quarantine plans are clearly for remaining outside Quebec.

If the border agent asks if you have any intention of staying in Quebec, tell them categorically that you plan on living in Ontario (or whichever province you plan to reside in) and not Quebec.

There is no issue with landing in Montreal if you have clear intentions and plans to live outside Quebec, and you answer any questions they bring up about the topic with the required answer.

We're overpreparing you, most people have no problems with landing in Montreal even if they are FSWs.

Also have your ticket to Toronto easily available, in case the agent wants to see it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You are making a big deal out of nothing. You have a connecting flight to Toronto. You will NOT have any issues landing in Montreal. They will not ask for a CSQ. You will not be refused landing or entry.

PhoenixTahar

May 24, 2020
Hi @PhoenixTahar I am in the same situation. We're in Doha and the only available direct flight is from doha to Montreal via qatar airways. Ideally we want to land in toronto. Please let's Keep each other informed of the developments.
Sure. I will be exploring other options with Turkish Airways (DOHA-ISTANBUL-TORONTO) and British Airways (DOHA-LHR-TORONTO) but a direct flight to DOHA-Montreal-Toronto with QA is still on the table. Will keep you posted about my findings.