+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Toronto (As per COPR) but Flight connection in Montreal (Quebec)

PhoenixTahar

May 24, 2020
Make sure to provide an address for your PR card which is outside of Quebec, make sure all of your quarantine plans are clearly for remaining outside Quebec.

If the border agent asks if you have any intention of staying in Quebec, tell them categorically that you plan on living in Ontario (or whichever province you plan to reside in) and not Quebec.

There is no issue with landing in Montreal if you have clear intentions and plans to live outside Quebec, and you answer any questions they bring up about the topic with the required answer.

We're overpreparing you, most people have no problems with landing in Montreal even if they are FSWs.

Also have your ticket to Toronto easily available, in case the agent wants to see it.
Thank you for the detailed recommendations. If I end up taking a flight connection via Montreal, I will make sure to prepare accordingly.

PhoenixTahar

May 24, 2020
You are making a big deal out of nothing. You have a connecting flight to Toronto. You will NOT have any issues landing in Montreal. They will not ask for a CSQ. You will not be refused landing or entry.
Thank you. That's what I hope. I will make sure to have all the necessary documents (Connecting flight ticket to Toronto, Hotel booking for quarantine in Toronto, address in Ontario, etc.) showing that I have no intention of settling in Quebec which seems to be the only area of concern to CSBA there.

hishamx87

Apr 25, 2017
Hi @PhoenixTahar I am in the same situation. We're in Doha and the only available direct flight is from doha to Montreal via qatar airways. Ideally we want to land in toronto. Please let's Keep each other informed of the developments.
Hi, I am from Doha as well and we need to travel in June. Please let me know if you find any alternative other than the Montreal Flight.

Turkish Airlines is another option but it may start operating from 10th of June.

I had a booking from Air Canada which has been cancelled 3 times since April and it is non refundable.

Reactions: PhoenixTahar

homaiooni

Aug 6, 2019
Sure. I will be exploring other options with Turkish Airways (DOHA-ISTANBUL-TORONTO) and British Airways (DOHA-LHR-TORONTO) but a direct flight to DOHA-Montreal-Toronto with QA is still on the table. Will keep you posted about my findings.
@PhoenixTahar Can you please update about your experience? I have the same plan to go through Montreal to Toronto. How was your experience?

Reactions: PhoenixTahar

PhoenixTahar

May 24, 2020
@PhoenixTahar Can you please update about your experience? I have the same plan to go through Montreal to Toronto. How was your experience?
Hi. It went well. We had our fight connection in Montreal. The first landing procedure was also completed there with no issues. After completing the procedure, we checked in for our connecting flight to Toronto.

Reactions: homaiooni

SidSom

Nov 16, 2021
Hi
I want to check what was your experience in Montreal like the procedure for landing etc. My husband is coming to Toronto on spousal PR from Delhi but has connection through Montreal with wait times of 2 hours. Is this a sufficient time to complete all the process etc.?

Can you kindly tell me what to expect.

Thanks

PhoenixTahar

May 24, 2020
Hello Everyone,
Just to provide my feedback on how it went.

I did land in Montreal and complete the immigration the process at Montreal airport. No issues reported and everything went smoothly with the officer.

It is worth noting that Montreal was a connection to my final destination which was Toronto. At the begining, I thought that I could land in Montreal without completing the immigration process (meaning that the first landing in Canada entry would be at Toronto) but it's not possible since the flight between Montreal and Toronto is a domestic flight.

So even if you transit through Montreal, you will have to complete the immigration process there (i.e your first landing is in Montreal).

Generally speaking, it is not recommended to land in Montreal (Quebec) with express entry due to some issues reported but some people (I did not have any issue and other people did not have any) so if you can avoid it then ok. If there are special circumstances (such as no direct flight available), then it is likely to be ok since you will have a good excuse to give to the officer at Montreal (I was not asked though).

At that time, Canada was in lockdown. I made it clear that my final destination was Toronto with an address to complete the quarantine there.

Retrospectively, I don't think that all these precautions were justified but I was ready with all the necessary arguments to justify why I was landing in Montreal (No direct flight available from Doha to Toronto, connection flight already booked, Airbnb appartment in Toronto already booked, etc.)

My experience is based on Express Entry Federal Skilled Worker. For PNP (provincial nomination), I think it's better to avoid Montreal if your PNP is not for Quebec.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

spna

Jun 14, 2019
Hello Everyone,
Just to provide my feedback on how it went.

I did land in Montreal and complete the immigration the process at Montreal airport. No issues reported and everything went smoothly with the officer.

It is worth noting that Montreal was a connection to my final destination which was Toronto. At the begining, I thought that I could land in Montreal without completing the immigration process (meaning that the first landing in Canada entry would be at Toronto) but it's not possible since the flight between Montreal and Toronto is a domestic flight.

So even if you transit through Montreal, you will have to complete the immigration process there (i.e your first landing is in Montreal).

Generally speaking, it is not recommended to land in Montreal (Quebec) with express entry due to some issues reported but some people (I did not have any issue and other people did not have any) so if you can avoid it then ok. If there are special circumstances (such as no direct flight available), then it is likely to be ok since you will have a good excuse to give to the officer at Montreal (I was not asked though).

At that time, Canada was in lockdown. I made it clear that my final destination was Toronto with an address to complete the quarantine there.

Retrospectively, I don't think that all these precautions were justified but I was ready with all the necessary arguments to justify why I was landing in Montreal (No direct flight available from Doha to Toronto, connection flight already booked, Airbnb appartment in Toronto already booked, etc.)

My experience is based on Express Entry Federal Skilled Worker. For PNP (provincial nomination), I think it's better to avoid Montreal if your PNP is not for Quebec.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Did you have to pickup your checked in bags at Montreal and had to re-checkin bags or you got it at Toronto? I also have some kind of connecting flight. but with a very short layover 1 hours and 30 min. I think i will mostly miss my next flight. But i wanted to check about bags.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Did you have to pickup your checked in bags at Montreal and had to re-checkin bags or you got it at Toronto? I also have some kind of connecting flight. but with a very short layover 1 hours and 30 min. I think i will mostly miss my next flight. But i wanted to check about bags.
Travelled from Montreal to Vancouver, I had to collect my bags and re check in

PhoenixTahar

May 24, 2020
I thin
I think I did but i don't remember. The Flight montreal-toronto is a domestic flight and you would normally have to pickup the bags.

aleemsyed04

Aug 4, 2022
Hi everyone
I am planning my first landing in Canada (with my family) on the 3rd of February 2023 (COPR City of Destination: Saskatoon ( Saskatchewan). I have PR Visa (FSW).
I m getting very Good discount on ticket if i travel Montreal (Quebec). From there I will go toronto and stay few days and move final destination Saskatoon. Is there any issue. I will complete my PR documentation in Montreal.
Please advise me is that ok.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone
I am planning my first landing in Canada (with my family) on the 3rd of February 2023 (COPR City of Destination: Saskatoon ( Saskatchewan). I have PR Visa (FSW).
I m getting very Good discount on ticket if i travel Montreal (Quebec). From there I will go toronto and stay few days and move final destination Saskatoon. Is there any issue. I will complete my PR documentation in Montreal.
Please advise me is that ok.
No. just show tickets to Saskatoon. Assume you mean 2024.

aleemsyed04

Aug 4, 2022
As i know it is not mandatory to do first landing as per CORP destination , you can do first landing any airport and complete your PR formalities there after that you can move to your destination. it should be no issue in Montreal also. might be language issue because Quebec is French speaking.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
As i know it is not mandatory to do first landing as per CORP destination , you can do first landing any airport and complete your PR formalities there after that you can move to your destination. it should be no issue in Montreal also. might be language issue because Quebec is French speaking.
Airport is in both languages. You can speak English at all times.