11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Hi all,

I would like to share my own experience in landing in Quebec while being a FSW applicant and in importing a car.

I landed at the Derby Line - Stainstead border crossing point that connects Vermont and Quebec.

First: the immigration process.

When I reached a Canadian border booth, I gave my passport and COPR, and told that I was landing as a new PR. I was asked to pull over and then go to the CBSA station.

In the building two immigration officers took over - one was performing my immigration paperwork, another officer was dealing with the car and the goods accompanying list.

The immigration paperwork was very easy. The officer asked me to write down my Canadian address and I provided my address in Ontario. They never asked me about the reasons of landing in Quebec.

Then the officer finished paper formalities, asked me about dependents not listed in the COPR and if I committed any crimes. After getting a negative answer, he signed the COPR, then I signed the COPR and then he congratulated me on becoming a PR.

Another officer was dealing with the car and the goods accompanying list. I did not list every item that I had unless it was an electronic device, something large or of high value. Clothing, linen, cookware etc I put as "1 box" and "1 bag".
I explicitly listed all medications that I brought with me but instead of quantifying each, I put "1 bag" for all of them.

What surprised me was that the officer didn't even go to the car despite the huge amount of stuff I was carrying there. She completed the B4 form and attached it to my list. I was not planning on bringing anything else to Canada afterwards, so I didn't include any items in the Goods to follow list. I did create the list though but left it empty.

Now the car.

There is a lot of information about the headache of exporting the car, emailing a border office 72 hrs prior to exporting etc but my experience was nothing like this.

I called the border officer of Derby Line and asked questions about the procedure. I was told that at least 72 hours prior to exporting, I need to order an ITN number.
Then I need to bring the title and the bill of sale.

Nothing had to be sent to the office via fax or email. Just get the paperwork and bring it to the station.

A week before my planned landing, I ordered an ITN number through simplified trading solutions.
Then I did the remaining recall on a car and obtained a recall statement from the manufacturer.

I did not complete any forms for RIV beforehand.

On the landing day I was staying in the line of cars going to Canada and I got really confused of where I should park. So I called the border office and they told me to just find a spot somewhere near the building.

I parked my car and went into the US Customs office. They took my documents and then stamped the ITN statement. Make sure that you print this statement that you would get from broker as there the US Customs would stamp "Exported".

Then I jumped into my car and drove to the Canadian booth.

During the immigration procedure, the officer who was doing my good accompanying list also did my car.
She completed the RIV form herself and handed it to me. We had an issue with the value of the car. I put the value of the car in my goods accompanying list but she wanted to check if the value is correct.

I obtained the current value from the KBB and converted it into CAD. The officer, on the other hand, wanted to use the Carfax Red Book but my car wasn't listed there. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to show her the value that I got from KBB due to the poor internet connection, so after a moment of thought, she went with my value and put it in the form.

After that I was given all the documents and was free to go.

Overall, the landing experience was very easy and smooth. I was out on my way in about 20 minutes after I reached the border booth.

D

Deleted member 826724

Hi all,

I would like to share my own experience in landing in Quebec while being a FSW applicant and in importing a car.

I landed at the Derby Line - Stainstead border crossing point that connects Vermont and Quebec.

When I reached a Canadian border booth, I gave my passport and COPR, and told that I was landing as a new PR. I was asked to pull over and then go to the CBSA station.

In the building two immigration officers took over - one was performing my immigration paperwork, another officer was dealing with the car and the goods accompanying list.

The immigration paperwork was very easy. The officer asked me to write down my Canadian address and I provided my address in Ontario. They never asked me about the reasons of landing in Quebec.

Then the officer finished paper formalities, asked me about dependents not listed in the COPR and if I committed any crimes. After getting a negative answer, he signed the COPR, then I signed the COPR and then he congratulated me on becoming a PR.

Another officer was dealing with the car and the goods accompanying list. I did not list every item that I had unless it was an electronic device, something large or of high value. Clothing, linen, cookware etc I put as "1 box" and "1 bag".
I explicitly listed all medications that I brought with me but instead of quantifying each, I put "1 bag" for all of them.

What surprised me was that the officer didn't even go to the car despite the huge amount of stuff I was carrying there. She completed the B4 form and attached it to my list. I was not planning on bringing anything else to Canada afterwards, so I didn't include any items in the Goods to follow list. I did create the list though but left it empty.

Now the car.

There is a lot of information about the headache of exporting the car, emailing a border office 72 hrs prior to exporting etc but my experience was nothing like this.

I called the border officer of Derby Line and asked questions about the procedure. I was told that at least 72 hours prior to exporting, I need to order an ITN number.

Nothing had to be sent to the office via fax or email. Just get the paperwork and bring it to the station.

A week before my planned landing, I ordered an ITN number through simplified trading solutions.
Then I did the remaining recall on a car and obtained a recall statement from the manufacturer.

On the landing day I was staying in the line of cars going to Canada and I got really confused of where I should park. So I called the border office and they told me to just find a spot somewhere near the building.

I parked my car and went into the US Customs office. They took my documents and then stamped the ITN statement. Make sure that you print this statement that you would get from broker as there the US Customs would stamp "Exported".

During the immigration procedure, the officer who was doing my good accompanying list also did my car.
She completed the RIV form herself and handed it to me. We had an issue with the value of the car. I put the value of the car in my goods accompanying list but she wanted to check if the value is correct.

I obtained the current value from the KBB and converted it into CAD. The officer, on the other hand, wanted to use the Carfax Red Book but my car wasn't listed there. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to show her the value that I got from KBB due to the poor internet connection, so after a moment of thought, she went with my value and put it in the form.

Overall, the landing experience was very easy and smooth. I was out on my way in about 20 minutes after I reached the border booth.
This is a great experience

saddlepatch

Star Member
Oct 1, 2012
Sun City Center, Florida
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-11-2018
Doc's Request.
02-26-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2019
Med's Request
05-02-2019
Med's Done....
08-02-2019
Passport Req..
22-03-2019
Hi all,

Where do I obtain a Goods Accompanying list? I hear the Goods to Follow all the time but not the first one. Or can I make one myself?

MWCW2018

Star Member
Aug 28, 2018
Hi all,

Now the car.

I landed in Derby Line just three days after you in early September! And I also imported a car! It was a very smooth process. They did ask me for the title of the car, which I normally don't have but brought with me for the landing procedures. Then I drove to Magog, Quebec to get a SIN.

Afterwards gettin my SIN I returned to the US. On the back, I went to the Haskell Free Library and Opera house, which is built on the border between Derby Line, Vermont and Stanstead, Quebec, and it functions as the library for both towns. There's a neat little line on the floor of the library showing if you're in the US and Canada. There's border patrol outside the library so you can't simply enter in the US entrance and exit in Canada. They don't ask for ID, but you are under surveillance to make sure you exit the library into the same country you entered it.

I just got a good job in Ottawa so I'll be registering the car in Ontario soon and moving there shortly. Did you get your PR card yet? I haven't. Curious since you landed just before me at the same place and also had your card sent to Ontario.

Last edited:

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
I landed in Derby Line just three days after you in early September! And I also imported a car! It was a very smooth process. They did ask me for the title of the car, which I normally don't have but brought with me for the landing procedures. Then I drove to Magog, Quebec to get a SIN.

Afterwards gettin my SIN I returned to the US. On the back, I went to the Haskell Free Library and Opera house, which is built on the border between Derby Line, Vermont and Stanstead, Quebec, and it functions as the library for both towns. There's a neat little line on the floor of the library showing if you're in the US and Canada. There's border patrol outside the library so you can't simply enter in the US entrance and exit in Canada. They don't ask for ID, but you are under surveillance to make sure you exit the library into the same country you entered it.

I just got a good job in Ottawa so I'll be registering the car in Ontario soon and moving there shortly. Did you get your PR card yet? I haven't. Curious since you landed just before me at the same place and also had your card sent to Ontario.
Congrats on landing! I did get the card around 2 months ago.

I also decided to settle in Ottawa :) For me, however, the job thing was not easy at all.

Please check your import forms for your car because these officers in Stainstead messed up with my paperwork. They stated that my car was being imported as parts and that I am allowed to sell it (which we are legally not allowed to do for a year after importation). They tore the wrong page in the form 1, so I had to go to customs and do the whole thing again.

MWCW2018

Star Member
Aug 28, 2018
Congrats on landing! I did get the card around 2 months ago.

I also decided to settle in Ottawa :) For me, however, the job thing was not easy at all.

Please check your import forms for your car because these officers in Stainstead messed up with my paperwork. They stated that my car was being imported as parts and that I am allowed to sell it (which we are legally not allowed to do for a year after importation). They tore the wrong page in the form 1, so I had to go to customs and do the whole thing again.
Oh, getting a job was not easy. I got my COPR in February, but I didn't land until September because I didn't have a job. I still haven't started work yet, but I will soon.

Also, I called IRCC and it turned out that the reason I didn't get my card was because immigration officers in Stanstead didn't enter my Canadian address into the system when I landed in there, September, even though they asked me for it, and I provided the address. They simply wrote the address down, but never entered the address into the computer. So IRCC in Ottawa thought I didn't have a Canadian address.

Last edited:

A.I.

Mar 15, 2019

Hi!
Did you use AVR when come back?

MWCW2018

Star Member
Aug 28, 2018
Hi!
Did you use AVR when come back?
I'm a US citizen so AVR doesn't apply. I used my US passport card.

BTW, the immigration officials in Stanstead lost my COPR after I signed it, so even though I am now a PR in Canada, I still haven't received my PR card yet because it took 4 months for IRCC to admit they lost my COPR with the photo attached.

I've called IRCC repeatedly over the last few months to resolve the issue, and rather than helping me they simply say "Yes, sometimes it takes a while to issue a card, please wait". Zabrodov landed a few days before me at the same border crossing and got his PR card months ago.

It's been a logistical headache trying to get my PR card 5 months after landing. I finally got IRCC to allow me to submit new photos last week.

Last edited:

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
I'm a US citizen so AVR doesn't apply. I used my US passport card.

BTW, the immigration officials in Stanstead lost my COPR after I signed it, so even though I am now a PR in Canada, I still haven't received my PR card yet because it took 4 months for IRCC to admit they lost my COPR with the photo attached.

I've called IRCC repeatedly over the last few months to resolve the issue, and rather than helping me they simply say "Yes, sometimes it takes a while to issue a card, please wait". Zabrodov landed a few days before me at the same border crossing and got his PR card months ago.

It's been a logistical headache trying to get my PR card 5 months after landing. I finally got IRCC to allow me to submit new photos last week.
These officers at Stanstead are a disaster

Apr 15, 2020
Hi guys, sorry to be reviving an old thread. Is it possible to drive a rental car to do a landing? do i need specific paperwork for that as well?
Thanks!

MWCW2018

Star Member
Aug 28, 2018
Hi there,

It's probably possible. Some people have rented U-Haul trucks to transport their belongings.

I've rented a car in the US and driven to Canada as a tourist, but not as an immigrant.

I once had to go to Bangor, Maine from Washington DC for work. I flew to Bangor and rented a car. After my meeting in Maine, I had the weekend before I had to return to DC, and I still had the rental car. I decided to spend the weekend in Prince Edward Island (only a 5 hour drive from Bangor). At the US/Canada border, the immigration official immediately recognized that it was a rental car (they have bar codes on the windows), and asked me if the car was staying in Canada. I told the border guard that I was going to PEI for the weekend, and that I would be returning to the US in 2.5 days.

The border guard then said "Have a great time in PEI. Great beach weather this weekend!"

As an immigrant, I imported my car from the US without issues, but it was my own personal vehicle, and not a rental.