+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in One Province and Settling in Another

domingo

Jan 20, 2009
Dear Friends,

I am planning to land in Toronto initially. Will complete all the formalities such as PR Card, Insurance, Health card etc in Toronto and will try to get a Job. However, I may go to Edmonton later on in case I did not get a Job. In Edmonton, one of my friend running his own business will accommodate me in his own firm.

Since Edmonton is in Alberta will I have to get new Health card, Insurance etc. Please let me have your inputs.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should first go to Alberta because in Alberta, the health care will cover you from day 1 when you are moving from another country. In Ontario, you will have to wait 3 months. If you leave Ontario while you are still waiting for healthcare and move to Alberta, then you are not moving from another country anymore, you are moving from Ontario so you might have to start a new waiting period for health care in Alberta. If you already have healthcare in Ontario and move, then it will cover you until Alberta health becomes active.

Your SIN (social insurance number) is federal so it doesn't matter in what province you get it. It stays the same.

Other insurance such as home insurance or car insurance can depend on the insurance company. By moving to another province, your insurance rates may change, some insurance companies may not offer services in all provinces. You can ask about this before you buy the insurance. A big company like ING is all over the place so it would not be a big deal to move. Just tell them that you moved and they will re-calculate your rates if they have changed.

rk2009

Nov 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Was Buffalo now NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
28-10-2009
Med's Request
30-11-2009
Med's Done....
22-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-1-2010
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2010
LANDED..........
30-04-2010
If I specified Ontario as the place that I am going to land, can I land in any other province or it has to be the one specified in my application.

Do i need ot complete landing formalities in the area I specified.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For FSW, you only need to land outside of Quebec or if you land in Quebec, have a transit flight taking you out of there. It does not matter where you said you would land on your application.

rk2009

Nov 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Was Buffalo now NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
28-10-2009
Med's Request
30-11-2009
Med's Done....
22-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-1-2010
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2010
LANDED..........
30-04-2010
Leon said:
For FSW, you only need to land outside of Quebec or if you land in Quebec, have a transit flight taking you out of there. It does not matter where you said you would land on your application.
Thanks Leon. You should add one more abbreviation to your signature "Leon = Rockstar " ;)

Ramesch

Apr 26, 2009
Dear Leon.

I am planning to land in Calgary with my family. After getting PR card, SIN and Health Card etc, i have plan to come back to my country to finalize some assignments (like resign from Job etc) and i shall shift my family to Toronto to live in a friend's house.

Either i have to go through the same process for obtaining Health card in Toronto or the same card of Alberta is valid there?
After few months i will shift back to Calgary. Will i be eligible for any any funding / loans etc for study purpose in alberta?

Your valuable inputs are requested please.

Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are moving to Ontario from Alberta, you are supposed to apply for OHIP but Alberta would cover you for the first 3 months and if you move back to Alberta, OHIP would cover you for 3 months until you get Alberta health back. However, if you are not actually moving to Ontario, just staying there for a few months, you might not need to change your health card. You should ask AB health and OHIP about that.

You would be eligible to get the same student loans as any other PR or citizen in Canada.