+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Montreal as a FSW

slugger

Jan 28, 2021
Hi,

I am a FSW and always thought I will end up staying in Ontario. Now, once I got my PPR, I started applying for jobs all over the country and I got an employment offer from a company in Montreal. Now the question is can I land in Montreal and end up staying in Montreal or would it be a problem at the border because I am not a QSW?

Thanks.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hi,

I am a FSW and always thought I will end up staying in Ontario. Now, once I got my PPR, I started applying for jobs all over the country and I got an employment offer from a company in Montreal. Now the question is can I land in Montreal and end up staying in Montreal or would it be a problem at the border because I am not a QSW?

Thanks.
Recently landed in Montreal as FSW-O candidate without any issues - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landing-experience-11th-jan-2022-from-delhi-to-montreal-del-yul-using-air-canada-direct-flight.754915/

slugger

Jan 28, 2021
Thanks. But in your case, the final destination was Vancouver. In my case, the final destination would be Montreal itself. Could that be a problem?

I mean I am currently booked to land in Toronto. The only reason I would be changing my flight is because I now intend to live in Montreal for the foreseeable future because of my job.

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
Thanks. But in your case, the final destination was Vancouver. In my case, the final destination would be Montreal itself. Could that be a problem?

I mean I am currently booked to land in Toronto. The only reason I would be changing my flight is because I now intend to live in Montreal for the foreseeable future because of my job.
You can move to Montreal post your PR is activated. That means, land outside Montreal and provide an address for the PR card outside. You then move to Montreal post this. I don't know the finer prints line would you need the physical card for moving to Montreal.

klausmike

Star Member
Feb 9, 2021
Hi,

Thanks.
Be aware that one of the conditions for getting FSW is that you plan to stay outside the province on Quebec. Now I'm not sure if this will come back to bite when you want to apply for citizenship or renew PR status. Just something to take note of :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Thanks.
Yes, it can be a problem if it looks like you plan to settle in Quebec. We have seen instances on this forum in the past where people have been refused landing. You need to avoid providing a mailing address for your PR card that is in Quebec.

slugger

Jan 28, 2021
Yes, it can be a problem if it looks like you plan to settle in Quebec. We have seen instances on this forum in the past where people have been refused landing. You need to avoid providing a mailing address for your PR card that is in Quebec.
I can provide my brother's mailing address in Calgary. In fact, I will be looking for an apartment, so I won't have a permanent address anyway.

By the way, what happens if you are refused landing? Is there a thread where people have described their experiences?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can provide my brother's mailing address in Calgary. In fact, I will be looking for an apartment, so I won't have a permanent address anyway.

By the way, what happens if you are refused landing? Is there a thread where people have described their experiences?
You should provide your brother's address in that case. It's possible you may also be asked for evidence of onward travel to Calgary (also quite possible you wont be). Just be prepared for that question.

There are historical threads around that talk about refused landings but I'm not sure where you would find them. I guess you can try using the search feature. You want to avoid a refused landing. A refused landing generally triggers some sort of redetermination / reassessment of your settlement intentions (i.e. a reopening of your application). It creates a mess.

slugger

Jan 28, 2021
You should provide your brother's address in that case. It's possible you may also be asked for evidence of onward travel to Calgary (also quite possible you wont be). Just be prepared for that question.

There are historical threads around that talk about refused landings but I'm not sure where you would find them. I guess you can try using the search feature. You want to avoid a refused landing. A refused landing generally triggers some sort of redetermination / reassessment of your settlement intentions (i.e. a reopening of your application). It creates a mess.
I guess it's not worth the risk then. I will stick to my current Toronto itinerary, spend 3-4 days there and then move to Montreal.

Reactions: scylla