App. Filed.......
21-08-2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2015
AOR Received.
21-08-2015
Passport Req..
12-01-2016
We plan to land in Mississauga mid May this year and wanted to know a few details regarding school admission for our kids. Their ages are 7 and 3.5.

1. Is there any difference between Public Catholic schools and Public schools in Ontario. Do they charge fees? We are Catholics.
2. Can the kid's schooling start mid year? My older son will be completing Grade 1 in March and can obtain a TC.
3. Would like to know about school transportation. Do we have to pay for it?
4. Both my hubby and I plan to work. So, would like to know about after school day care.

It would be a great help if someone could clear our doubts. Thanks!! :)

albabeu

Star Member
Oct 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-12-2014
AOR Received.
06-03-2015
Med's Request
05-05-2015
Med's Done....
25-05-2015
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-08-2015
LANDED..........
Soon...
Bella15 said:
We plan to land in Mississauga mid May this year and wanted to know a few details regarding school admission for our kids. Their ages are 7 and 3.5.

1. Is there any difference between Public Catholic schools and Public schools in Ontario. Do they charge fees? We are Catholics.
2. Can the kid's schooling start mid year? My older son will be completing Grade 1 in March and can obtain a TC.
3. Would like to know about school transportation. Do we have to pay for it?
4. Both my hubby and I plan to work. So, would like to know about after school day care.

It would be a great help if someone could clear our doubts. Thanks!! :)
Hello,

congrats on your visas.
I have landed in the beginning of March with my family. We just registered our daughter at a catholic school. She'll start junior kindergarten in Sept 2016 coz she's not 4 yo yet, so I have no idea whether kids schooling can start mid year. Grade 1-8 finish the school year in June, so you must decide whether 1 month would make such a big difference. You can go and ask at your kid's school as soon as you land, coz they're really helpful and nice, they would give best orientation.
Anyway, based on my experience, if you haven't found any accommodation yet, while doing it, consider the school boundary. You should check in advance about school's ranking. There are some public schools which are not really good in terms of yearly official rankings.
Nonetheless, public schools are really good, teachers are very well prepared etc. They say catholic school are more disciplined, apart from the Ontario curricula they offer their own programs as well. I have registered my daughter in a catholic school. They're also public funded, so they are free. If you prefer and can afford, there are private schools as well...

Good luck

Bella15

Star Member
Aug 6, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2015
AOR Received.
21-08-2015
Passport Req..
12-01-2016
Thank you and congratulations to you too..

May I know which school your daughter will be going to. Thank you.

albabeu said:
Hello,

congrats on your visas.
I have landed in the beginning of March with my family. We just registered our daughter at a catholic school. She'll start junior kindergarten in Sept 2016 coz she's not 4 yo yet, so I have no idea whether kids schooling can start mid year. Grade 1-8 finish the school year in June, so you must decide whether 1 month would make such a big difference. You can go and ask at your kid's school as soon as you land, coz they're really helpful and nice, they would give best orientation.
Anyway, based on my experience, if you haven't found any accommodation yet, while doing it, consider the school boundary. You should check in advance about school's ranking. There are some public schools which are not really good in terms of yearly official rankings.
Nonetheless, public schools are really good, teachers are very well prepared etc. They say catholic school are more disciplined, apart from the Ontario curricula they offer their own programs as well. I have registered my daughter in a catholic school. They're also public funded, so they are free. If you prefer and can afford, there are private schools as well...

Good luck

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
albabeu said:
Hello,

congrats on your visas.

Good luck
Nice information, indeed.

My kids are also moving to Mississauga this summer. I would like to know:

- Are there free public and catholic schools which teach under IB or AP systems (graduates of these system get lot of relief when joining the university education)... I searched on the internet, but it seems only private schools offer teaching with these systems
- Has the sex education been made mandatory in public and catholic schools in Ontario?

albabeu

Star Member
Oct 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-12-2014
AOR Received.
06-03-2015
Med's Request
05-05-2015
Med's Done....
25-05-2015
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-08-2015
LANDED..........
Soon...
Bella15 said:
Thank you and congratulations to you too..

May I know which school your daughter will be going to. Thank you.
Hi, I have registered my daughter at St. Luke Catholic School. It has good rankings at a national level.

albabeu

Star Member
Oct 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-12-2014
AOR Received.
06-03-2015
Med's Request
05-05-2015
Med's Done....
25-05-2015
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-08-2015
LANDED..........
Soon...
sharedknowledge said:
Nice information, indeed.

My kids are also moving to Mississauga this summer. I would like to know:

- Are there free public and catholic schools which teach under IB or AP systems (graduates of these system get lot of relief when joining the university education)... I searched on the internet, but it seems only private schools offer teaching with these systems
- Has the sex education been made mandatory in public and catholic schools in Ontario?
Yes there are, but only at the secondary level though... You can check by google-ing IB system at Peel District School Board...