+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada

ravneetbawa

Nov 20, 2017
Hi,

Greetings for the day !

I got my COPR and stamped passport yesterday. I had applied through Express Entry, however, while mentioning the destination city and province I declared it to be Regina, Saskatchewan which is also mentioned on my COPR. But now my cousin has shifted to Toronto and I am not sure where to land.

Do I have to compulsorily land in Saskatchewan and stay there for a certain time period?

Or Can I land in Toronto directly and finish the formalities at the POE there?

Please suggest as I am very much confused over this. I don't want any problems to occur at the POE.

Thanks in advance !!!

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
22-Apr-2016, Additional Doc Request 13-July-2016
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
22 August, further tests 18 Sep, 11 Oct Meds passed
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
Immigration formalities are done at POE. Since you would not be having a direct flight to Saskatchewan, your immigration formalities would be done at POE which can be Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver or any other city. Usually no questions are asked, however, in rare scenario the immigration officer can ask you to prove that you are going to Saskatchewan. So, ensure that you have connecting flight tickets, hotel booking and so on that can prove your intent of going to Saskatchewan.
There is no compulsion of staying in Saskatchewan as part of landing formalities, however, I am assuming that you are SINP nominated so an earnest attempt need to be made to settle in Saskatchewan. If after 3-4 months you do not succeed in doing so, you can move to other province.

ravneetbawa

Nov 20, 2017
Immigration formalities are done at POE. Since you would not be having a direct flight to Saskatchewan, your immigration formalities would be done at POE which can be Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver or any other city. Usually no questions are asked, however, in rare scenario the immigration officer can ask you to prove that you are going to Saskatchewan. So, ensure that you have connecting flight tickets, hotel booking and so on that can prove your intent of going to Saskatchewan.
There is no compulsion of staying in Saskatchewan as part of landing formalities, however, I am assuming that you are SINP nominated so an earnest attempt need to be made to settle in Saskatchewan. If after 3-4 months you do not succeed in doing so, you can move to other province.
Hi,

I appreciate the reply!

However, I would update that I didn't apply for SINP or got any nomination from Saskatchewan. It was just a part of the online form while filing it to CIC after receiving the invitation through Express Entry where I mentioned that I would go to Saskatchewan.

In case I have the connecting flight tickets to Saskatchewan, do I have to provide a mailing address of Saskatchewan only to receive my PR card or can I give address for Toronto too... Please suggest..

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
It can be any city in Canada except for Quebec. Not mandatory for the city in COPR to match with the POE. Since yours is not province nominated, you can give any address for PR card delivery and stay anywhere.

Reactions: ravneetbawa

ravneetbawa

Nov 20, 2017
It can be any city in Canada except for Quebec. Not mandatory for the city in COPR to match with the POE. Since yours is not province nominated, you can give any address for PR card delivery and stay anywhere.
Thank you very much @rockytg... !!! I appreciate it !

Also, I am looking to transfer my settlement funds to a Canadian bank before I land. Which bank would you suggest to be the best for me as a new immigrant and which can get the formalities completed from outside Canada, i.e., account opening, money transfer, proof of settlement funds etc..

Please suggest !

Thanks again !!!

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
I opened an account when I was in Canada.
If you are to open an account from India you have the following options
- Scotiabank. Can be done online. Good number of branches in Canada.
- icici bank. Limited branches, however ok for Toronto.
- SBI
There might be more offering the above service. Also, all these accounts would be inoperative till the time you do not visit the bank branch in Canada.
I still have not moved my money and not explored much, however, what ever little knowledge I have, it is better to open an account in Canada(gives you more options) and then move the funds to that account. You can make a draft of the money you have here. You need to explore as which option would be cheaper and easily available.

One advantage(slight) of opening an account here and transferring money to it is that they provide with you proof of funds document which can be used at POE.
Disadvantage can be you would not be getting interest on the money that you have moved to the Canadian account till the time you make it operative(need to be check though, could have changed now since the time I enquired)

Reactions: ravneetbawa

ravneetbawa

Nov 20, 2017
I opened an account when I was in Canada.
If you are to open an account from India you have the following options
- Scotiabank. Can be done online. Good number of branches in Canada.
- icici bank. Limited branches, however ok for Toronto.
- SBI
There might be more offering the above service. Also, all these accounts would be inoperative till the time you do not visit the bank branch in Canada.
I still have not moved my money and not explored much, however, what ever little knowledge I have, it is better to open an account in Canada(gives you more options) and then move the funds to that account. You can make a draft of the money you have here. You need to explore as which option would be cheaper and easily available.

One advantage(slight) of opening an account here and transferring money to it is that they provide with you proof of funds document which can be used at POE.
Appreciate it bro!! Thanks !!!

xMadMaxx

Feb 17, 2016
Saudi Arabia
LANDED..........
28-04-2007
You can go anywhere in Canada.
From a personal experience, I got my visa through my spouse and in my application I had Toronto as where I would be staying. I have landed in Montreal (my point of entry) and went to the federal immigration where the immigration officer told me that I have 20 working days to call them and give them my Canadian address. I stayed in Montreal and when I called that number, I gave them my Montreal address. 4 weeks later I received my PR. That was back in 2007 though :)