landing in canada

dreamfromafar

Star Member
Apr 14, 2009
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
can anybody please help and set the record straight. if you have a PR visa but don't have enough funds to travel, will it pose as a major problem?

from what i understand, USD10K (cash) is needed on hand when you land canada. i only have USD5K cash. is it advisable to travel with only USD5K on hand and no other proof of funds, not even land titles, jewelries nor bank accounts? please let me know what are the chances of being held in immigration or chances of being allowed entry.

thanks much!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to have the funds. Can you borrow another 5k and put in a bank account to show them?

dreamfromafar

Star Member
Apr 14, 2009
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
unfortunately, i've asked all my relatives and friends to lend me money....i guess because of recession, everybody is afraid to lend whatever they have.

this is my only hope of getting out and only hope of starting a new life. would you know if i will be asked to present the full amount in immigration? is it always the case or there are instances that some people can passs through without being asked for proof of funds?

thanks for your help. i just needed to know what's in store for me should i try my luck.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, they will ask you for funds. Can you at least get one of your relatives with you to the bank, put the money in your account, get a letter from the bank stating you have it and then take it out again?

dreamfromafar

Star Member
Apr 14, 2009
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if they ask me how much is my funds and if i show them i've got usd5K only on hand...what will happen? will they send me back home? :-(

actually, my flight is on monday, april 20 and i am so worried/nervous. i have to do this than regret not having to try it at all. whatever happens, at least i've done my part. it's just so sad that i am short of funds which is the very reason why i wanted to go to canada...that is to get a better paying job and increase my very small savings!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to have the funds: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/arriving.asp If you don't have the funds, they can deny your PR since you fail to fulfill the requirements. The only reason they even let you come to Canada without a job first is because you proved to them when you applied that you had enough money to support yourself while you look for a job in Canada.

You don't have to have it cash. If you can get a bank statement in your name saying you have another 5K in there, even if it's borrowed money put in there by a friend for one day, that will do it.