+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada with COPR

vinz123

Mar 18, 2017
Me and spouse are currently residing in US and have received a Canada COPR. We however don't have a valid US visa (only valid I94 status to stay) for re-entry to US at this point.

In order for me to complete the COPR formality, is my only option to land in Canada, then visit a US embassy in Canada to renew my visa and then reenter US? Or is there any alternate where without renewing a US visa, the COPR landing can still be done? i'm trying to save the cost of flight + 5 day stay + US visa renewal cost if possible.

Would be grateful for any advice.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What's the point of getting the COPR if you have no plans of moving and settle there? You can save those cost if you move to Canada for good.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Cannot answer on the US i94 although is not clear what your actual status is in the US given you say you do not have a current US visa but you have no choice but to land in Canada to activate your PR status, basically with your COPR use it lose it if you do not land whilst it is still valid.

Have to ask question but without a current US visa how convinced are you anyway that you would be granted a continued stay in the US to ‘reside’ would you have a plan B for that scenario.

As Steaky implied this scenario is something unfortunately maybe should have planned for when you applied to move to Canada if that move was not going to be immediate after landing.

Last edited:

vinz123

Mar 18, 2017
Thanks @steaky and @Bs65 for your inputs! I've heard of Automatic visa revalidation (AVR) that can help travel between US and Canada with an expired US visa if I94 is valid. i'm going to try my best to "soft land" in Canada to activate PR before COPR expiration.

Please let me know if you know anyone who has used AVR in the recent past successfully.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
^ I've heard about that too, for travel to Canada/Mexico that is fewer than 30 days, BUT I do not know in your case if it will apply, or if you are an exceptional case, because you are entering Canada to activate PR, and not to tour.

Jimnesh

Nov 16, 2017
Ahmedabad
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
India
I hav been recently approved for Permanent Residence via PnP Saskatchewan (O.I.D). My COPR have destination city as "Saskatoon" as I have mentioned in my application of Permanent Residence. Can I land in Regina as I have some potential interviews there.

Kindly advise

Looking forward for your kind support.

Regards,
Jimmy

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I hav been recently approved for Permanent Residence via PnP Saskatchewan (O.I.D). My COPR have destination city as "Saskatoon" as I have mentioned in my application of Permanent Residence. Can I land in Regina as I have some potential interviews there.

Kindly advise

Looking forward for your kind support.

Regards,
Jimmy
Where are you flying from into Canada given that will be your first point of entry where you complete your landing formalities even if in transit to Regina which does not have hardly any flights from outside Canada that I can see, nearly all domestic.

Even if you were heading for Saskatoon same would apply you would complete landing at first POE into Canada where you would just show your onward travel to Saskatchewan province.

In reality once landed as a PR you can live and work any where in Canada regardless of PNP.

Last edited:

skeecandidate

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Thanks @steaky and @Bs65 for your inputs! I've heard of Automatic visa revalidation (AVR) that can help travel between US and Canada with an expired US visa if I94 is valid. i'm going to try my best to "soft land" in Canada to activate PR before COPR expiration.

Please let me know if you know anyone who has used AVR in the recent past successfully.
Have heard of many ppl who have used AVR to re-enter US after soft landing. Plz check out the below thread.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/change-to-automatic-visa-re-validation-since-oct-2017-and-impact.527019/

Jimnesh

Nov 16, 2017
Ahmedabad
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
India
Where are you flying from into Canada given that will be your first point of entry where you complete your landing formalities even if in transit to Regina which does not have hardly any flights from outside Canada that I can see, nearly all domestic.

Even if you were heading for Saskatoon same would apply you would complete landing at first POE into Canada where you would just show your onward travel to Saskatchewan province.

In reality once landed as a PR you can live and work any where in Canada regardless of PNP.

Jimnesh

Nov 16, 2017
Ahmedabad
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
India
Dear Friend,

Thank u so much give your guidance. First I will going to India to Toronto. My frist landing in Toronto. Then finish immgration process.and there domestic flight Toronto to Regina.

This is possible going to Regina . Not possible please tell me.

Wait for your response.

Regards
Jimnesh

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
Dear Friend,

Thank u so much give your guidance. First I will going to India to Toronto. My frist landing in Toronto. Then finish immgration process.and there domestic flight Toronto to Regina.

This is possible going to Regina . Not possible please tell me.

Wait for your response.

Regards
Jimnesh
I am 99% sure you must complete the landing process at Toronto, then you can fly to Regina without much a problem

Blade

Nov 11, 2017
Hey guys,
Thinking of completing my landing in October. Was looking for places to stay around toronto. How do I go about looking for places. What would be your advice.
Plus any recommendations on safe neighborhoods around toronto

Tigo Phil

Mar 12, 2018
Me and spouse are currently residing in US and have received a Canada COPR. We however don't have a valid US visa (only valid I94 status to stay) for re-entry to US at this point.

In order for me to complete the COPR formality, is my only option to land in Canada, then visit a US embassy in Canada to renew my visa and then reenter US? Or is there any alternate where without renewing a US visa, the COPR landing can still be done? i'm trying to save the cost of flight + 5 day stay + US visa renewal cost if possible.

Would be grateful for any advice.
Hi guys, could someone help with something here ?

What's really a COPR form ?
Does it gonna be send to my home address?
Is it really only 2 pages ?

Thanks in advance