+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada with an AP in US

clayheart

Sep 29, 2006
Sorry for the cross-post.

Question for those working in the US: When landing in Canada (Vancouver) but intending to come right back to the US, I know that you can leave a friend/relative's address for the PR card. But my concern is the US side. We have our Advance Parole documents (meaning our adj of status is in process), but as we never know when we'll get our US green cards, we'd like to land in Canada (our Canada immigrant visas expire in Oct).

Anybody out there in the same boat? Did the US have a problem with it?

Thanks.

zarauf

Jul 31, 2007
I landed in Canada last year in similar position, they asked me about that Canaded Landed immigrant status while my US adjustment of status was pending, I travelled on Advance parole, I had high anxiety during the Border crossing Each way, But all went smoothly, No problem.Canadian Officer thogu told me that US INS may not like I am having a Canadian Landed immigrant status, Legally you can have BOth the status but it is hard to Meet the obligation for both the countries.Let me know if you have more information about this by now.

dream23

Star Member
Jun 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NYC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2009
AOR Received.
1st: 19-12-2009(email), 2nd: 17-03-2010(email)
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
July 14,2010 to NYC
Med's Done....
Sep 22, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 16, 2011
LANDED..........
June 30, 2012
Dear All,
just wanted to share my experience with landing(by bus).
I am in AOS in the USA with AP and no valid visa. And I had to land before my canadian entry visa expires.
I was in extreme worry as I saw some posts with quite negative experiences.So i also talked to a lawyer and he said there should be no problem. Just on the way back be prepared to answer "what was the purpose of your trip to canada".the reasonable answer probably could be "i am resident of canada and came to see my friends/relatives etc." So i went there for 3 days (long weekend) ,the landing was quite staightforward.
Just as a separate topic: Be prepared to miss your bus, if you/they fill out you customs declaration and it takes longer time(even if you prefill it at home!)) and know where the bus stop is located at Fort Erie(its very close to border).One more thing. I am from visa exempt country so i did not have a canadian counterfoil in my passport. they just gave me back a copy of copr(which i kept separately from passport) and stamped the passport that i crossed the border(regular stamp).So on the way back i was indeed asked on what i have been doing in canada, and i told officer that i was for 3 days in Canada meeting with friends(which is absolute true).and then no more any questions asked. He took my old i94(nobody took it from me on my way to Canada in the bus!!??) and gave me a new one.
I hope this brief story helps somehow others in similar situation.
good luck