+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada to activate PR during Covid

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
Hello members,
Please provide your suggestions on below concerns.
Situation: COPR issued in November 2020 and expires in March, 2021 for myself, spouse and our baby. As per IRCC rules, we are exempted from travel restrictions as we are staying in USA and can land in Canada as long as we go there for permanent settlement.

Question
1. We do not prefer to land in Canada now because of ongoing COVID situation(risky to travel with the baby) and the present job market in Canada is also not so good. Is it advisable to let the COPR expire and inform IRCC that we are unable to travel now?
Will it jeopardize our PR in any way?

2. What happens if the primary applicant and baby activates the PR before COPR expiry, but dependent spouse is unable to land before the COPR expiry date. Can I add her again later on? Or she can raise a separate request to IRCC stating that she is unable to travel right now due to COVID?

Thanks for your responses.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello members,
Situation: COPR issued in November 2020 and expires in March, 2021 for myself, spouse and our baby. As per IRCC rules, we are exempted from travel restrictions as we are staying in USA and can land in Canada as long as we go there for permanent settlement.

Question
1. We do not prefer to land in Canada now because of ongoing COVID situation(risky to travel with the baby) and the present job market in Canada is also not so good. Is it advisable to let the COPR expire and inform IRCC that we are unable to travel now?

2. What happens if the primary applicant and baby activates the PR before COPR expiry, but dependent spouse is unable to land before the COPR expiry date. Can I add her again later on? Or she can raise a separate request to IRCC stating that she is unable to travel right now due to COVID?

You'd need to sponsor her when you move to Canada.

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
Thanks for your response. In the meantime until she is not sponsored, she can still use visitor visa to come to Canada. Correct?

Last edited:

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks for your response. In the meantime until she is not sponsored, she can still use visitor visa to come to Canada. Correct?
Visitor visa is a 50:50 chance for a spouse. It depends.
If you are not too for a drive to do soft landing, i would strongly suggest to do soft landing. With the baby, they would maximum allow you to soft land and return back to US the same day.

People have been doing soft landings and you can do it as well if you are in a drivable distance. If not, in all other cases,
1)primary landing now and spouse landing later, you need to be away from your family for a while(even for sponsering as a PR or even for a Visitor).
2) Or you have to give up landing in March 2021 and again considering covid situation, not sure how would IRCC respond on extending your COPRs, there is a huge delay.

Reactions: pranaam

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
Visitor visa is a 50:50 chance for a spouse. It depends.
If you are not too for a drive to do soft landing, i would strongly suggest to do soft landing. With the baby, they would maximum allow you to soft land and return back to US the same day.

People have been doing soft landings and you can do it as well if you are in a drivable distance. If not, in all other cases,
1)primary landing now and spouse landing later, you need to be away from your family for a while(even for sponsering as a PR or even for a Visitor).
2) Or you have to give up landing in March 2021 and again considering covid situation, not sure how would IRCC respond on extending your COPRs, there is a huge delay.

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Hello members,

Question

Hi, I am planning soft landing from Detroit and return from the border. Do you know if:
1. Need to carry -VE Covid report?
2. Do i need to have Quarantine plan?
3. Anything to be done on ArriveCan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am planning soft landing from Detroit and return from the border. Do you know if:
1. Need to carry -VE Covid report?
2. Do i need to have Quarantine plan?
3. Anything to be done on ArriveCan
Yes you need a negative covid test (not rapid test). You should have a quarantine plan in case you are unable to turn around and return home although most CBSA agents seem to be allowing this in Windsor.

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Yes you need a negative covid test (not rapid test). You should have a quarantine plan in case you are unable to turn around and return home although most CBSA agents seem to be allowing this in Windsor.
OK. Thanks for your response. Appreciate it.

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
Hi @RaghuR have you completed the soft landing at detroit-windsor border? Can you share your experience please.

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Hi
Completed soft landing earlier today at Ambassador bridge. I told them I would be going back so they asked for no docs (no COVID test, quarantine, proof of funds, goods to follow etc ...nothing)
Just took our passports and copr letters issued. He filled and signed one copy of those and returned to us stapled on the passports. They were damn slow. Took 1.5 hrs though there was no one else with similar req.
He Didn’t apply for pr card though saying it needs to be done directly with IRCc and only when we come for settling.

I wonder can I apply for that on my own without having to move to Canada first. Anyone?

Reactions: sowsiv

Ammjyo

Jun 2, 2019
Hi ,
Planning to do soft landing next week at peace bridge . COPR issued post March 18th,2020.

Did any of you guys have COPR issued post March 18th,2020?
1. Did you guys carry negative covid PCR test during soft landing ?
2. Did you update your info in ArriveCan app before soft landing ?
3. Where in USA - Walgreens , CVS etc did you take the PCR test as most of them have 2-3 days or more processing time and wondering if that would still be valid to carry for soft landing ?
4. Did you have to show quarantine plans ?

would really appreciate your response on this .

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi ,
Planning to do soft landing next week at peace bridge . COPR issued post March 18th,2020.

1. Did you guys carry negative covid PCR test during soft landing ?
2. Did you update your info in ArriveCan app before soft landing ?
3. Where in USA - Walgreens , CVS etc did you take the PCR test as most of them have 2-3 days or more processing time and wondering if that would still be valid to carry for soft landing ?
4. Did you have to show quarantine plans ?

would really appreciate your response on this .
1. No exception. Dont take changes.
3. https://www.projectbaseline.com/ (test to be giving drive through at riteaid) is free but it takes 30-36 hours to get the result. Give the swab test at 10 or 11am and you would get it by next day evening from 6-8pm.
4. Yes such as where you would stay, how will you manage your food during your stay. You should tell the place to stay and tell that you would use food delivery apps to get the food delivered to your place of stay. thats what they are expecting from travelers to know that they dont plan to roam outside during quarantine.

Ammjyo

Jun 2, 2019
1. No exception. Dont take changes.
3. https://www.projectbaseline.com/ (test to be giving drive through at riteaid) is free but it takes 30-36 hours to get the result. Give the swab test at 10 or 11am and you would get it by next day evening from 6-8pm.
4. Yes such as where you would stay, how will you manage your food during your stay. You should tell the place to stay and tell that you would use food delivery apps to get the food delivered to your place of stay. thats what they are expecting from travelers to know that they dont plan to roam outside during quarantine.
Thank you for your response .

Ammjyo

Jun 2, 2019
One more quick question - Is anyone having COPR issue date after Mar 18th,2020 , traveling from USA exempt from travel restrictions ? Did anyone with this criteria did soft landing recently ?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
One more quick question - Is anyone having COPR issue date after Mar 18th,2020 , traveling from USA exempt from travel restrictions ? Did anyone with this criteria did soft landing recently ?
Soft landing has never been in their rulebook. Its always at the discretion of the then present CBSA officer. But certainly you can give it a shot following all the requirements:
1) -ve Covid PCR test
2)Fill ArriveCan App
3)14 day-Quarantine plan

Be prepared with all these and when you reach the border tell the officer that you are there for your landing and if they accept you want to return back to USA the same day.