+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada - Medical expiring soon

dw1991

Sep 24, 2020
Hey guys,
I would really appreciate any advice or stories of similar experience. I literally received my confirmation email yesterday for permanent residence and have sent off my documents for my COPR today. Due to COVID delays my medical will expire on November 12th 2020 meaning that I only have around 50 days to receive my COPR and then land in Canada to activate my PR. I spoke with IRCC yesterday and they advised me to request an extension for my medical which I have done. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to reply or how likely I am to be given an extension? As you can imagine, this is not a whole lot of time to get things sorted as the COPR itself can take up to 4 weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023
Buddy they are automatically extending medical due to COVID, if they have requested your passport for stamping and you have received your COPR. You should not worry just be prepared to book a flight once you get it.

P.S they wont see your medical expiration date upon landing in Canada

dw1991

Sep 24, 2020
Buddy they are automatically extending medical due to COVID, if they have requested your passport for stamping and you have received your COPR. You should not worry just be prepared to book a flight once you get it.

P.S they wont see your medical expiration date upon landing in Canada
Thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware that they had extended medicals... do you have a source for this info?
Could I also ask why they wouldn't see my medical expiration date when I land in Canada?
I appreciate your help!

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021
Thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware that they had extended medicals... do you have a source for this info?
Could I also ask why they wouldn't see my medical expiration date when I land in Canada?
I appreciate your help!
Once you have COPR they don't need your medical information that's already been approved in order to finalize your case. Not sure why you are worried.

dw1991

Sep 24, 2020
Once you have COPR they don't need your medical information that's already been approved in order to finalize your case. Not sure why you are worried.
Thanks for the reply, perhaps im missing something but I thought I had to enter Canada before my medical expired... this was the message in my COPR request email.

"Your Permanent Resident document(s) will expire one year after the date of your medical examinations or earlier if your passport or the passports of your spouse or dependant children (if applicable) expire on an earlier date.
You must travel to Canada and present your immigration documents at a Canadian Port of Entry before they expire. The validity of the Permanent Resident documents cannot be extended. If you fail to enter Canada before this date and still wish to immigrate to Canada, you must reapply by submitting a new application and paying new processing fees."

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023
Thanks for the reply, perhaps im missing something but I thought I had to enter Canada before my medical expired... this was the message in my COPR request email.

"Your Permanent Resident document(s) will expire one year after the date of your medical examinations or earlier if your passport or the passports of your spouse or dependant children (if applicable) expire on an earlier date.
You must travel to Canada and present your immigration documents at a Canadian Port of Entry before they expire. The validity of the Permanent Resident documents cannot be extended. If you fail to enter Canada before this date and still wish to immigrate to Canada, you must reapply by submitting a new application and paying new processing fees."

Buddy if they issued a COPR, it is common sense they must have extended your medical. A lot of other people got their medical extended automatically in this forum if you do your research. Just go land in Canada once your have your COPR
Raise a webform if you are too concern

Zophias

Aug 31, 2018
Hey guys,
I would really appreciate any advice or stories of similar experience. I literally received my confirmation email yesterday for permanent residence and have sent off my documents for my COPR today. Due to COVID delays my medical will expire on November 12th 2020 meaning that I only have around 50 days to receive my COPR and then land in Canada to activate my PR. I spoke with IRCC yesterday and they advised me to request an extension for my medical which I have done. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to reply or how likely I am to be given an extension? As you can imagine, this is not a whole lot of time to get things sorted as the COPR itself can take up to 4 weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hey buddy, how did it go eventually with your situation after receiving your COPR? Please share. Thanks