+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada... is it painless?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dangerJones said:
Ok, good to know-- perhaps I should have mentioned that she's actually a Vietnamese citizen, not Singaporean. Would that change things, seeing as she'd normally require a visa to enter the States? Or is the COPR/PR card still enough for entry into the USA?
The COPR (if driving) or PR card once she has it (required for commercial travel) will gain her entry back into Canada.

To enter the US she needs to meet any visa requirements separately (the PR is technically irrelevant, but it will allow her to apply for a US visa from Canada instead of her 'home' country and they will assess ties to Canada and likelihood to return to Canada vs. the States) so it's probably worth applying once you are in Canada.

If you've heard anything different, it's likely because Canada relaxes visa requirements for US Permanent Residents with a green card. The US does not have a mirror policy - the visa requirements remain intact regardless of Canadian PR status (ie, for the US, requirements are only based on country of citizenship not residency).

dangerJones

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2011
AOR Received.
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
08-08-2011
Med's Done....
14-04-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
OhCanadiana said:
The COPR (if driving) or PR card once she has it (required for commercial travel) will gain her entry back into Canada.

To enter the US she needs to meet any visa requirements separately (the PR is technically irrelevant, but it will allow her to apply for a US visa from Canada instead of her 'home' country and they will assess ties to Canada and likelihood to return to Canada vs. the States) so it's probably worth applying once you are in Canada.

If you've heard anything different, it's likely because Canada relaxes visa requirements for US Permanent Residents with a green card. The US does not have a mirror policy - the visa requirements remain intact regardless of Canadian PR status (ie, for the US, requirements are only based on country of citizenship not residency).
Ahhh OK, I understand now, thanks for the clarification. I actually had no idea regarding US entry for her (just like when we were planning on getting married, I had no idea we couldn't simply fly over to Canada so we could be married there--my understanding's come a long way, lol). I guess we'll have to look at that as a separate issue. Her godparents live in Las Vegas (!) but they've been to Canada before so it shouldn't that difficult to meet up with them. I'd love for her to be able to visit the rest of my relatives in the States too, so we'll start learning about entry requirements now and see what we can do.

Also post #100 :O

dangerJones

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2011
AOR Received.
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
08-08-2011
Med's Done....
14-04-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
OhCanadiana said:
Congratulations!
It's normal to be scared, but tell her it should be VERY smooth. She just completed an in-depth background check, etc so they know the risk is low. Usually she'll even get a very warm welcome from the officers!
Thanks :D And thanks for posting such a long, awesome response. I really appreciate it. I want to do whatever I can do to help ease her transition, so the more I learn, the better.

OhCanadiana said:
She can group things together for the B4 for most things (e.g. clothes $xx, books $xx, etc). The exceptions are valuable items - jewelry needs to be itemized AND you need to take photos of it as an attachment to the B4 (you can do them yourself and print them out at home so it's not a huge deal ... even if the instructions in some places suggest having a jeweler do it) and for any electronics you should list the serial number. You can even pre-fill out the form - it's available online at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf.
IMPORTANT - if she's shipping items, make sure you add them to the B4 (or B4A, the continuation of the B4 if you need more than one page). Anything that is on the B4 she can take in even after her landing ... but it has to have been on the B4 the day she landed for it to qualify for duty-free status. Of course, all items have to have been used and possessed by her prior to moving.
Great-- that should help a lot. I've read on a couple of other threads about the B4 and B4A forms, but it's good to know that we can condense them a little bit. Also, I've read that items on the B4/B4A can be shipped at any time in the future (i.e. "eventually")-- is that right?

OhCanadiana said:
Whenever you set foot in Canada and go through immigration the first time - try to give yourselves a bit of time before your connecting flight
I've made a note to my travel agent. :)

OhCanadiana said:
The COPR is a document that she will get when she gets her visa from CIC Singapore. It's a huge document that she'll sign at the border and which will serve for ever as her proof of status as a permanent resident. Once she gets her PR card, put it in the safe deposit box.
Fair enough! (Note to self: get a safe deposit box.)

OhCanadiana said:
Just waiting while getting to know Canada with you enjoying Rideau, Beaver Tails, Algonquin Park etc! Of course, she'll have to get a SIN number, OHIP, driver's licence, etc.

TIP - although you guys must be running around right now finishing stuff up, it would be well worth your time to check with the Singaporean Embassy in Ottawa to see what they will need to get the letter of experience she'll need to get a driver's license. If she doesn't submit the right documents upfront to prove she has 2+ years of driving experience she will be stuck going through the graduated system. However, if she submits proof validated by the Embassy (with everything translated) it will be simple for her to get her years of experience recognized and go through to full G with just the exams.
Hmm, good point. She must have a Vietnamese motorcycling license; I wonder if it'll be transferable to Ontario though. I'll ask and see.

Thanks again for taking the time to share everything you've shared! It should help a lot.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dangerJones said:
Thanks :D And thanks for posting such a long, awesome response. I really appreciate it. I want to do whatever I can do to help ease her transition, so the more I learn, the better.

Great-- that should help a lot. I've read on a couple of other threads about the B4 and B4A forms, but it's good to know that we can condense them a little bit. Also, I've read that items on the B4/B4A can be shipped at any time in the future (i.e. "eventually")-- is that right?

I've made a note to my travel agent. :)

Fair enough! (Note to self: get a safe deposit box.)

Hmm, good point. She must have a Vietnamese motorcycling license; I wonder if it'll be transferable to Ontario though. I'll ask and see.

Thanks again for taking the time to share everything you've shared! It should help a lot.
You're welcome - and thanks for the response!

Re US visa look here for all the forms so you can start filling them out: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/information-for-canadians/canadians-requiring-visas.html and http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/visas/categories-and-requirements/tourist-travel.html

Re motorcycling license look http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx for details - it's similar to G's but M for M1 and M2.

Re B4 - yes, you can ship anything that's on the B4 anytime in the future. That's why it's important to spend time doing the inventory right. They will cross stuff off as you bring it in, so it's a good idea to separate items by shipment/trip as much as you can to avoid confusion as you bring it in or add details so you can do so in the future.

QPH

Star Member
Apr 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2011
File Transfer...
21-01-2012
Just wonder how much $$$ they can bring to Canada.

Mrslwsn

Oct 7, 2010
Toronto/Mobay
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2011
AOR Received.
neva yet
File Transfer...
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
14-03-12
VISA ISSUED...
31-03-12
LANDED..........
29-04-2012
My husband is landing on Sunday, what kind of "short interview" should he expect, and will they direct him where to go off the plane, I landed in Canada 20 yrs ago myself(I was a kid), cannot remember a thing!! Plus I am sure process is very different!! How long generally will it take let's say from the time his flight gets in to the time he comes out of the arrivals gate??

QPH

Star Member
Apr 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2011
File Transfer...
21-01-2012
steaky said:
As much as you can afford
If they bring $50,000 cash, will there be any problem? question to be answered....

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
QPH said:
If they bring $50,000 cash, will there be any problem? question to be answered....
If they bring the cash at Port of Entry, they must declare that amount to the border officer. I would wire that amount of money if I were you. Much safer and the bank will report them on my behalf.

Mrslwsn said:
My husband is landing on Sunday, what kind of "short interview" should he expect, and will they direct him where to go off the plane, I landed in Canada 20 yrs ago myself(I was a kid), cannot remember a thing!! Plus I am sure process is very different!! How long generally will it take let's say from the time his flight gets in to the time he comes out of the arrivals gate??
It all depends if there are line ups in either or both the customs and immigration sections.