+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada as a Permanent Resident - Do I have to have a Passport BOOK?

emily3859

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2015
Doc's Request.
30-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-01-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2015
LANDED..........
20-09-2015
**I am in Canada**

I got my COPR in August and we realized that my passport was either lost or stolen. Great, I'm pulling my hair out. So, next week I have an appointment with the Consulate in Toronto. We really don't have any extra money and I was just going to get a Passport CARD ($100 cheaper / valid for LAND travel only between USA / Mexico / Canada.) I called CIC and asked, and they said that it doesn't matter what kind of passport it is, just as long as it is a valid passport. But, we all know how the CIC call centre works; the left arm doesn't know what the right is doing a majority of the time. To my understanding the USA is one of (if not the only) countries that offers just a passport CARD, so I wasn't sure if there was some stipulation regarding landing / PR applications with a CARD vs BOOK.

My questions are:
1. I submitted my application with a passport BOOK, does it matter if I land with a passport CARD?
2. The name on my COPR is my maiden name, does it matter if my new passport has my married name? (It has my maiden name because that was the name on my passport, which is what it required. I was going to request a new passport once I landed, but since I am getting a new one now, I was just going to get my married name on it.)
3. (semi unrelated) When you landed, did you flagpole or have an appointment with a CIC office?
a. How long did it take to get that appointment? (if this was your method)
b. How long did you wait at the border? (if this was your method)
4. Does my COPR need to be SIGNED by the border officer in order to go to Service Ontario and obtain a SIN?
5. Have you ever gotten a passport replaced through the Consulate / Embassy? What was your experience?

Thanks so much in advance. I am going nuts over here. I can not believe my passport is missing. :(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
emily3859 said:
1. I submitted my application with a passport BOOK, does it matter if I land with a passport CARD?
2. The name on my COPR is my maiden name, does it matter if my new passport has my married name? (It has my maiden name because that was the name on my passport, which is what it required. I was going to request a new passport once I landed, but since I am getting a new one now, I was just going to get my married name on it.)
3. (semi unrelated) When you landed, did you flagpole or have an appointment with a CIC office?
a. How long did it take to get that appointment? (if this was your method)
b. How long did you wait at the border? (if this was your method)
4. Does my COPR need to be SIGNED by the border officer in order to go to Service Ontario and obtain a SIN?
5. Have you ever gotten a passport replaced through the Consulate / Embassy? What was your experience?
1. You can land with a passport card. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2014/ob205A.asp

Applications for permanent resident status

Officers may accept the U.S. passport card for processing and may use the passport card number and expiry date in the processing system. U.S. officials have confirmed that the passport card is subject to the same verification and entitlement procedures as the U.S. passport book.

2. The name and passport number on the COPR must match the name on the travel document. You would need to return your COPR to have the details corrected. It's *possible* that you may be able to land even though the number is different but not with the name being different.

3. Most people flagpole because it is significantly faster than waiting. Depending on the local office, it could take a few weeks to a few months to get an appointment. Flagpoling takes a few hours at most, usually much less when there is no lineup.

4. Yes, you actually need to land and have your COPR signed before you can obtain a SIN.

5. No idea.

emily3859

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2015
Doc's Request.
30-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-01-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2015
LANDED..........
20-09-2015
canuck_in_uk said:
2. The name and passport number on the COPR must match the name on the travel document. You would need to return your COPR to have the details corrected. It's *possible* that you may be able to land even though the number is different but not with the name being different.
Do you have any idea how long it takes to have the details of a COPR corrected?
If I can't get my maiden name on the passport it might be an ok thing anyways. It'll save me a step in the future of getting a new passport and a new PR card with my married name. I may just put my new name on it and change my COPR if it doesn't take very long to get it updated.

Also, thank you so much. I was so worried about the passport card!