+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
nithin said:
Dear Seniors,
I landed first time in Toronto last year for one week and returned to home country.
Now planning to enter Toronto next month.
Searching for rental properties. All requires credit card history etc.. etc.
I dont have even bank account.

How can I rent without these

Please advise
Regards
Will be very difficult without bank account. Most landlords of mid and upscale homes ask for 10 post dated cheques in advance.
Will be better to first get your account set up and then search for house.

Carry your Indian CIBIL Transunion report. At least you can convince landlords that though you are new to Canada, you have been historically good with credit ratings in India. that's how I did it.

yesh007p

Star Member
May 21, 2014
All Senior members and people who have landed in Canada lately,
I have received my visa a week back so i needed your help as i am confused and have a lot of questions regarding the process ahead.

1) Which all official documents do I have to take with me to Canada for myself my wife and my daughter. Also tell me about the education
documents too??

2) After landing in Canada can I come back in a month’s time and if yes then what is the procedure to be done before i leave from Canada??

3) How we suppose to apply or register for the health insurance card/ PR Card/SIN card there and what all documents are needed??

4) Do we have to evaluate our education for Canada Employment purpose??

5) For studying further in Canada do we have to give and IELTS?? If yes then Academic/General one??

6) After how many years of stay do we become a citizen of Canada?? What are the criteria for we being eligible for it??

7) For how long is the PR valid and what are the eligibility criteria for renewal that we have to fulfill??

8) Do we need an American visa to visit when we are in PR status??

Please do reply to me query as i am preparing to leave for Canada soon and i have more query too which I would be asking on the forum soon.

Thanking You Seniors/member,

MATT0801

Jun 12, 2016
Hello guys,

We have received our COPR papers on 13th May 2016. Our Immigrant visa is a single entry Category IM-1 visa with expiry date as 23rd Nov 2016 and city of destination is Toronto.

My spouse and I will be visiting Toronto in Aug 2016 for duration of 7 days to complete the landing formalities.

We will relocate to Canada permanently in October 2017.

I have got the following questions:

Proof of Funds
Questions:
1. In my online application, I indicated that I have CAD 30000 to support myself and my family in Canada. Do I need to show this amount to the immigration officers in my first visit? I can get a letter certified by the bank authorities on the existence of the funds. Will it suffice?
2. Since I’ll be in Canada only for 10 days, I plan to bring around CAD 5000(approx) to support my stay for 10 days
3. I’ll transfer my remaining savings to a Canadian bank account after I relocate permanently. Do I need to pay any taxes on this remainder amount when I come the next time?

SIN card – Can I apply for a health card in my first visit? Or should I wait till I permanently relocate?

Health card – Can I apply for a health card in my first visit? Or should I wait till I permanently relocate?

Bank account – Should I open a bank account in my first visit? Or should I wait till I permanently relocate?

Tax – I will be a Canadian PR once I complete my landing formalities in Aug 2016. But I’ll relocate permanently only in 2017. Will I be taxed for my employment income earned in my home country from Aug 2016 to Oct 2017?

Other declarations
Questions:
1. I own a property in my home county which I intend to sell in 3 years time to buy a house in Canada. To whom/when should I declare about this in Canada? Will the amount received after selling the property be taxed in Canada?
2. I also have Life Insurance and Savings plan in my home country which will provide returns in 10 years time. To whom/when should I declare about this in Canada? Will this amount be taxed in Canada?

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Make a DD in your local currency.Its suffice. Bank Statement may not be acceptable.

There is no income tax on International income.

Yes ..you should apply for SIN & Health card.For health card you are required to give proof of residence. YOu can submit a rental agreement of your address which can be on a plain paper signed by landlord(friend/realtive) thats they have given basement on rent to you. Landed Immigrants are being given leniency in this.

Open bank account. PC bank offers free banking. Most of canadians are used to brick & Mortar branch & pay monthly charges for bank.Its all online bank & customer service centres at LobLaws Super store.

For above three i.e SIN, Health card & bank account you must have home address. Any relative or friend's address is ok.

Apply for credit card having travel insurance which covers rent a card insurance. Most of the time car rent is equal to insurance cost. Having this card you will save $30 per day on car insurance on renting a car.

Capital Gain Tax is applicable on international property sale. Consult tax expert to avoid it.

You both need to file tax after year end. Mention least international income & mark wife as home maker. She will get GST, kids & energy money from govt directly into bank account.

I have No knowledge of your insurance policy.

I suggest you to even apply for G2 license.

MATT0801 said:
Hello guys,

We have received our COPR papers on 13th May 2016. Our Immigrant visa is a single entry Category IM-1 visa with expiry date as 23rd Nov 2016 and city of destination is Toronto.

My spouse and I will be visiting Toronto in Aug 2016 for duration of 7 days to complete the landing formalities.

Proof of Funds
Questions:
1. In my online application, I indicated that I have CAD 30000 to support myself and my family in Canada. Do I need to show this amount to the immigration officers in my first visit? I can get a letter certified by the bank authorities on the existence of the funds. Will it suffice?
2. Since I’ll be in Canada only for 10 days, I plan to bring around CAD 5000(approx) to support my stay for 10 days
3. I’ll transfer my remaining savings to a Canadian bank account after I relocate permanently. Do I need to pay any taxes on this remainder amount when I come the next time?

SIN card – Can I apply for a health card in my first visit? Or should I wait till I permanently relocate?

Health card – Can I apply for a health card in my first visit? Or should I wait till I permanently relocate?

Bank account – Should I open a bank account in my first visit? Or should I wait till I permanently relocate?

Tax – I will be a Canadian PR once I complete my landing formalities in Aug 2016. But I’ll relocate permanently only in 2017. Will I be taxed for my employment income earned in my home country from Aug 2016 to Oct 2017?

Other declarations
Questions:
1. I own a property in my home county which I intend to sell in 3 years time to buy a house in Canada. To whom/when should I declare about this in Canada? Will the amount received after selling the property be taxed in Canada?
2. I also have Life Insurance and Savings plan in my home country which will provide returns in 10 years time. To whom/when should I declare about this in Canada? Will this amount be taxed in Canada?

cece2016

Mar 8, 2016
Does anyone know if the GTF list has an expiry date? Am I allowed to ship the goods over to Canada after a number of years without paying the tax?

nithin

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
alok4best said:
Will be very difficult without bank account. Most landlords of mid and upscale homes ask for 10 post dated cheques in advance.
Will be better to first get your account set up and then search for house.

Carry your Indian CIBIL Transunion report. At least you can convince landlords that though you are new to Canada, you have been historically good with credit ratings in India. that's how I did it.
Thanks Alok,

Do you have idea on the formalities from Dubai

Thanks and regards

MATT0801

Jun 12, 2016
Thanks for the reply canada11.

Just a bit confused about SIN card, health card and bank account. As I'll be permanently relocating only in Oct 2017, do I still need to apply for SIN and health card in my first visit (in Aug 2016)? Same goes with bank account?

Appreciate if someone could answer my following question:
Other declarations –
Questions:

1. I own a property in my home county which I intend to sell in 3 years time to buy a house in Canada.
To whom/when should I declare about this in Canada?
Will the amount received after selling the property be taxed in Canada?
2. I also have Life Insurance and Savings plan in my home country which will provide returns in 10 years time.
Will this amount be taxed in Canada?

canada11 said:
Make a DD in your local currency.Its suffice. Bank Statement may not be acceptable.

There is no income tax on International income.

Yes ..you should apply for SIN & Health card.For health card you are required to give proof of residence. YOu can submit a rental agreement of your address which can be on a plain paper signed by landlord(friend/realtive) thats they have given basement on rent to you. Landed Immigrants are being given leniency in this.

Open bank account. PC bank offers free banking. Most of canadians are used to brick & Mortar branch & pay monthly charges for bank.Its all online bank & customer service centres at LobLaws Super store.

For above three i.e SIN, Health card & bank account you must have home address. Any relative or friend's address is ok.

Apply for credit card having travel insurance which covers rent a card insurance. Most of the time car rent is equal to insurance cost. Having this card you will save $30 per day on car insurance on renting a car.

Capital Gain Tax is applicable on international property sale. Consult tax expert to avoid it.

You both need to file tax after year end. Mention least international income & mark wife as home maker. She will get GST, kids & energy money from govt directly into bank account.

I have No knowledge of your insurance policy.

I suggest you to even apply for G2 license.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
There is no 'SIN card' instead there is 'SIN number' which you will get at the airport from Service Canada printed on a number if you land on a working day during 9am to 5pm. YOu must apply for it later at Service Canada if that office is closed.

YOu are covered after 90 of landing by OHIP. If you apply for medical card now, you will be covered from day one on landing Oct 2017. Moreover, prerequisites for applying for OHIP card are lenient for new landed immigrants.

IF you wanna open bank account later then its OK. Whats the loss if you open now ? If you open now you can use the credit card & slowly build your credit history.

MATT0801 said:
Thanks for the reply canada11.

Just a bit confused about SIN card, health card and bank account. As I'll be permanently relocating only in Oct 2017, do I still need to apply for SIN and health card in my first visit (in Aug 2016)? Same goes with bank account?

Appreciate if someone could answer my following question:
Other declarations –
Questions:

1. I own a property in my home county which I intend to sell in 3 years time to buy a house in Canada.
Will the amount received after selling the property be taxed in Canada?
2. I also have Life Insurance and Savings plan in my home country which will provide returns in 10 years time.
Will this amount be taxed in Canada?

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
nithin said:
Thanks Alok,

Do you have idea on the formalities from Dubai

Thanks and regards
If there is a concept of Credit union and ratings in Dubai then you can try getting that.
Just to highlight again that non-Canadian credit scores are NOT OFFICIALLY accepted in Canada.

Some landlords will understand the situation and be happy with your foreign credit history.
It's just that having something is better than nothing.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
MATT0801 said:
Hello guys,

Proof of Funds
Questions:
It need not be the same amount. It should just be over and above the minimum requirement. Yes, an endorsed bank certificate will suffice.
Should be fine.
No. However you will have to explain the origins of funds to the banks here.

Yes, you should apply and get your SIN asap after landing.

You will not be allowed to get a health card so soon in Toronto. Ontario expects you to live here for 3 months before you become eligible.
So you will need to wait till you permanently move.

It depends on your preference. I think it will be a good idea to open a bank account and put some money in. May be 5-10K CAD.

Yes. You will be. You will need to file tax returns in Canada starting this year. The financial year in Canada runs 1st Jan to 31st Dec. And your worldwide income is taxed. However, most of the countries have double taxation agreements. So I don't think you will end up paying anything. However, you must file IT returns nevertheless.

Other declarations
Questions:
Not all the proceeds. Only the capital gains are taxed. You need not declare anything now. When you file IT returns, there are questions to declare if you own a foreign property worth 100K CAD and more. There you need to mention yes. Once again, only the capital gains are taxable, that too in the year you actually sell it.
I am not 100% sure on this, but I understand that similar to property, only the gains that you made are taxable. Let's say you invested 5000CAD in a policy, and got 6K back. Then the gains of 1000 Dollars should be subjected to tax.

Answered in Red.

MATT0801

Jun 12, 2016
Thank you for the reply canada11.
Makes sense to open a bank account and a credit card account now to build my credit history.
Any idea whether there'll be any charges if I open a bank/credit card account now and deposit minimum amount but no other transactions until Oct 2017?

canada11 said:
There is no 'SIN card' instead there is 'SIN number' which you will get at the airport from Service Canada printed on a number if you land on a working day during 9am to 5pm. YOu must apply for it later at Service Canada if that office is closed.

YOu are covered after 90 of landing by OHIP. If you apply for medical card now, you will be covered from day one on landing Oct 2017. Moreover, prerequisites for applying for OHIP card are lenient for new landed immigrants.

IF you wanna open bank account later then its OK. Whats the loss if you open now ? If you open now you can use the credit card & slowly build your credit history.

maplezone

Mar 2, 2015
Seniors , please advice !!

maplezone said:
Dear seniors,

I got my driving license from the country of my residence almost 9 months ago ( less than 12 months). I am planning to do a short landing for almost 2-3 months.

1) Please guide me , in my case how do I have to apply and under which category ? G1 or G2 ? What is the procedure for my case ?

2) For my current driving license do I need to issue a letter from the ministry of road and transport ? As I said, I have a driving license of less than 12 months , so will it help ?

3) Some ppl are saying that if I am planning to do a short landing that is for 2-3 months , then it is not a good idea to apply for a driving license .. Is it so ?

AmynD

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO (VCM)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-Sept-2014
AOR Received.
07-Jan-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
30-Oct-2015
Med's Done....
16-Nov-2015
Passport Req..
Waiting
Hi Friends,

We have recently received our visas. Before we were planning for a short landing and then move permanently after 6 months. but now we are thinking to go permanetly due to delay of PR cards (however we are not vert comfortable) and some new requirment of pictures sometimes and to avoid any risk.

I need your advise, are we taking any risk if we do short landing?

and what if we want to return before PR card is being issued.

Thanks,

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
PC bank is totally free..

RBC provides free banking with one withdrawal per month .. Any more is chargeable

I have account in above two

MATT0801 said:
Thank you for the reply canada11.
Makes sense to open a bank account and a credit card account now to build my credit history.
Any idea whether there'll be any charges if I open a bank/credit card account now and deposit minimum amount but no other transactions until Oct 2017?