+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
Please can someone who has landed in Toronto share the things to do upon landing using Toronto as reference, Just as ksa0510 did for Calgary?

Thanks.

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
Please can someone who has landed in Toronto share the things to do upon landing using Toronto as reference, Just as ksa0510 did for Calgary?

Thanks.

rambojuda

Star Member
May 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
07-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
FBI PCC requested
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
Hello,
I just landed in Toronto. It was very straight forward. I was out of the airport within 35 mins. After you arrive at the airport, you will be sent to an immigration office. The officer will take one of your COPR form. Then you will be diverted to SIN office, and will be issued a SIN number.
After that you just go through customs and declare the items you will be bringing later. That's it.. I wasn't informed much on my way and nobody mentioned anything about PR card.
So I went back and checked with customs and was told that I have to apply for one, but on CIC website it is mentioned that newcomers will receive the PR card in mail.
Can someone please confirm this? Also is there a way to track PR card status? Were any of you who have completed landing, issued some document?
The only document I received was one of my COPR, Thinks to follow list (stamped) and the SIN number.
Thanks

ksa0510

Champion Member
Feb 11, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
Nomination.....
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-11-2014
IELTS Request
03-07-2014
File Transfer...
09-07-2014
Med's Request
18-05-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015
LANDED..........
21-07-2015
rambojuda said:
Hello,
I just landed in Toronto. It was very straight forward. I was out of the airport within 35 mins. After you arrive at the airport, you will be sent to an immigration office. The officer will take one of your COPR form. Then you will be diverted to SIN office, and will be issued a SIN number.
After that you just go through customs and declare the items you will be bringing later. That's it.. I wasn't informed much on my way and nobody mentioned anything about PR card.
So I went back and checked with customs and was told that I have to apply for one, but on CIC website it is mentioned that newcomers will receive the PR card in mail.
Can someone please confirm this?You will get your PR Card within the next 54 days at the address on your COPR so you don't need to apply please
Also is there a way to track PR card status? Were any of you who have completed landing, issued some document?No tracking but you can just check for current processing time online at CIC website
The only document I received was one of my COPR, Thinks to follow list (stamped) and the SIN number.That is all you will have for now and need to register for your health card and opening of bank account
Thanks
Welcome to Canada

cknouman

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ksa0510 said:
Things to do upon landing using Calgary as reference
Step 1-Get a mobile phone (Wind is the cheapest but poor coverage, FIDO,KOODO,VIRGIN etc. are on the high side with minimum of $65 without tax for unlimited calls & 500MB-1GB plan AND wind offer $40 for unlimited calls and 3GB).Requirement for getting phone is government issue ID, & credit check/Cash payment
Step 2-Go for Social Insurance Number Registration (SIN) at Harry Hayes Building, downtown Calgary depending on your location as there are other centres for the registration as well. Requirement for SIN registration is your Landing Document & your travelling government issued ID
Step 3-Go to the BANK and open a newcomer account. All the banks are equally good depending on what you want (RBC, Scotiabank, CIBC, BMO, TD etc).Please ask for a void cheque upon opening the account. Requirement for account opening is your Landing Document & your travelling government issued ID
Step 4-Go to the registry to register for Alberta health card. Requirements for the health registration are government issued ID, landing Doc, and one of Tenancy agreement/Void Cheque/Utilities statement/Bank statement. If a particular registry refuses the void cheque try another one please.
Steps 1-4 can be achieved within a day after landing.
Step 5-Search for accommodation while still staying with your host or in the hotel as the case maybe. Try rentfaster and Kijiji
Step 6-Call the Calgary education board for your children placement in school. Note, this is purely by appointment only.
Step 7-Start visiting some immigration supporting centres like CCIS, ICS, and CIWA, Drop-In Centre, WIN, YWCA etc where you can get referrals for CLB test, furniture, bridging and upgrading program, food bank, benefit forms completion guidance etc
Step 8-Enrol into a driving school if you are coming from a country where your driver’s license can’t be exchanged to Canadian one and prepare to write your knowledge road test.
Once you have your accommodation, the next is to get a car to go around as the present weather condition is extremely cold.
Please go for accommodation that has utilities inclusive as a newly landed immigrant.
Step 9-Welcome to Canada….........
Step 10: +1 to you

cknouman

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rambojuda said:
Hello,
Can someone please confirm this? Also is there a way to track PR card status? Were any of you who have completed landing, issued some document?
The only document I received was one of my COPR, Thinks to follow list (stamped) and the SIN number.
Thanks
Yes PR cards will be mailed to you. Don't forget to change your address once you set up your house or apartment. This can be updated online.
Good luck

July16AP

Aug 8, 2015
Friends,

Is there any limit to carry CAD funds from India at Indian customs? When I enquired with Thomas Cook they say 10k USD. We need to carry more than 20k CAD, I can't open bank account now as it will take 1 month and have no time.

xyz86

Star Member
May 11, 2015
Visa Office......
NDVO/WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 dec 2014
File Transfer...
SLU: 12 may 2015
Med's Request
14 may 2015
Med's Done....
22 may 2015.. Docs rchd:28 May 2015
Interview........
TLU: 30 may 2015. DM:14 august 2015
Passport Req..
31 st August
VISA ISSUED...
7september
Can anybody help me with this. Actually I done with my landing procedure , still waiting for my PR card. And I am planning to visit US next month by car and come back to canada. So will I be needing any travel document for this or COPR and passport would be suffice for reentering canada?

shb

May 10, 2014
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2014
Doc's Request.
Photo Request (18-02-15)
Nomination.....
18-01-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
24-06-2015 --> SLU 26-06-2015
Med's Done....
27-06-2015 --> Uploaded 30-06-2015 --> TLU 04-07-2015
Passport Req..
Request --> 14-07-15 PP submitted --> 03-08-15
VISA ISSUED...
Received pp with Maple Leaf :)
LANDED..........
Soon...
Hello all,

No one is issuing travellers cheques these days here in Oman.
So, can I carry a "demand draft cheque" as proof of funds?
Cic web says: bankers draft, cheque, travellers cheque, money orders.
Is bankers draft the same as a demand draft?

Pls advice.
Thanks

cknouman

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shb said:
Hello all,

No one is issuing travellers cheques these days here in Oman.
So, can I carry a "demand draft cheque" as proof of funds?
Cic web says: bankers draft, cheque, travellers cheque, money orders.
Is bankers draft the same as a demand draft?

Pls advice.
Thanks
Yes bank draft would be fine. I also got mine from Bank Muscat.

shb

May 10, 2014
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2014
Doc's Request.
Photo Request (18-02-15)
Nomination.....
18-01-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
24-06-2015 --> SLU 26-06-2015
Med's Done....
27-06-2015 --> Uploaded 30-06-2015 --> TLU 04-07-2015
Passport Req..
Request --> 14-07-15 PP submitted --> 03-08-15
VISA ISSUED...
Received pp with Maple Leaf :)
LANDED..........
Soon...
cknouman said:
Yes bank draft would be fine. I also got mine from Bank Muscat.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
They will issue a "demand draft" in CAD $ on my name. Correct.

In Which canadian local bank did you deposit your draft in?
Pls advice.

Also, is it ok if I close my bank Muscat account after the "demand draft" is issued on my name.

cknouman

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shb said:
Thanks a lot for your reply.
They will issue a "demand draft" in CAD $ on my name. Correct.

In Which canadian local bank did you deposit your draft in?
Pls advice.

Also, is it ok if I close my bank Muscat account after the "demand draft" is issued on my name.
It does not matter if you close your account because bank draft will not be with reference to your account. Once bank muscat will receive the payment from you for the bank draft it means bank muscat is liable to pay the money.
I deposited in TD bank and it took 45 calendar day to cash being available in my account. So make sure you carry sufficient cash to cover those 45 days

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
ksa0510 said:
Things to do upon landing using Calgary as reference
Step 1-Get a mobile phone (Wind is the cheapest but poor coverage, FIDO,KOODO,VIRGIN etc. are on the high side with minimum of $65 without tax for unlimited calls & 500MB-1GB plan AND wind offer $40 for unlimited calls and 3GB).Requirement for getting phone is government issue ID, & credit check/Cash payment
Step 2-Go for Social Insurance Number Registration (SIN) at Harry Hayes Building, downtown Calgary depending on your location as there are other centres for the registration as well. Requirement for SIN registration is your Landing Document & your travelling government issued ID
Step 3-Go to the BANK and open a newcomer account. All the banks are equally good depending on what you want (RBC, Scotiabank, CIBC, BMO, TD etc).Please ask for a void cheque upon opening the account. Requirement for account opening is your Landing Document & your travelling government issued ID
Step 4-Go to the registry to register for Alberta health card. Requirements for the health registration are government issued ID, landing Doc, and one of Tenancy agreement/Void Cheque/Utilities statement/Bank statement. If a particular registry refuses the void cheque try another one please.
Steps 1-4 can be achieved within a day after landing.
Step 5-Search for accommodation while still staying with your host or in the hotel as the case maybe. Try rentfaster and Kijiji
Step 6-Call the Calgary education board for your children placement in school. Note, this is purely by appointment only.
Step 7-Start visiting some immigration supporting centres like CCIS, ICS, and CIWA, Drop-In Centre, WIN, YWCA etc where you can get referrals for CLB test, furniture, bridging and upgrading program, food bank, benefit forms completion guidance etc
Step 8-Enrol into a driving school if you are coming from a country where your driver’s license can’t be exchanged to Canadian one and prepare to write your knowledge road test.
Once you have your accommodation, the next is to get a car to go around as the present weather condition is extremely cold.
Please go for accommodation that has utilities inclusive as a newly landed immigrant.
Step 9-Welcome to Canada….........
Can we use this also as a reference for Toronto?

canrushi

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2014
Nomination.....
24-12-2014
IELTS Request
Already sent with appln
Med's Request
30-03-2015 (Still MR for child is pending)
Med's Done....
Me and Spouse - 15th March, Kid - 5th May... 3rd line - 12th May
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-07-2015
Do PR Card holder needs a UK transit visa if he is travelling to India via london?