+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

msa22

Star Member
Sep 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
19-Dec-2014
IELTS Request
/Photo requested: 05-Feb-2015
Med's Request
03-Jul-2015
Med's Done....
14-Jul-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-Oct-2015
VISA ISSUED...
PP submitted in ADVO: 19-Oct-2015, Received with visa: 28-Oct-2015
LANDED..........
28-Nov-15
PCJ said:
Hello Msa22,

All documents/photos 2 copies ?? which documents u mean?
Customs forms B4, excel spreadsheets, jewellery/valuable goods photos - whatever you submit to Customs should have 2 copies, one for you, one for them.

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
msa22 said:
Customs forms B4, excel spreadsheets, jewellery/valuable goods photos - whatever you submit to Customs should have 2 copies, one for you, one for them.
Hi,

When you mean jewlery/valuable goods, do normal wrist watches, paintings and pictures fall into this category?

Also, do we have to print out the pictures?

djgt

Oct 27, 2014
Hi,

As i am planning to land near by in Canada i am little bit confused about choice of province. As i have got visa under FSW 2014 in that i have mention my interest to settle down in Calgary (alberta) but now i want to settle down in Brampton (Ontario). In my COPR they have mention intersted city Edmonton but in visa it is IM -1 so my agent is telling me you can get down aby where in Canada except Quebec Province. So, will officer at toronto airport ask me that why are you landing here instead of Alberta? I am very much confused in this.

So need expert advice from all you expert people who are landed or planning to land there.

Regards,

Thanks in advance..............

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
djgt said:
Hi,

As i am planning to land near by in Canada i am little bit confused about choice of province. As i have got visa under FSW 2014 in that i have mention my interest to settle down in Calgary (alberta) but now i want to settle down in Brampton (Ontario). In my COPR they have mention intersted city Edmonton but in visa it is IM -1 so my agent is telling me you can get down aby where in Canada except Quebec Province. So, will officer at toronto airport ask me that why are you landing here instead of Alberta? I am very much confused in this.

So need expert advice from all you expert people who are landed or planning to land there.

Regards,

Thanks in advance..............
You can land anywhere except QC.

tetunte

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2013
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
20-04-2015
AOR Received.
05-08-2015
IELTS Request
26-05-2015 with application
File Transfer...
09-09-2015
Med's Request
09-09-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2015
LANDED..........
July 31 2016
Very silly question.

If you enter Canada via Toronto, then Calgary and finally Regina.

Where do you do your landing process in Toronto or you can do it in Regina? (I mean request PR Card)

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
tetunte said:
Very silly question.

If you enter Canada via Toronto, then Calgary and finally Regina.

Where do you do your landing process in Toronto or you can do it in Regina? (I mean request PR Card)
you will do your landing at the point of entry...which is toronto as you described above.

spetro

Jun 14, 2014
Dear All,

I intend to do a short landing in Toronto next year. I will return back to my home country after that. When I return to Canada again to satisfy the PR requirements, I will work in Alberta most likely. Now, my question is, where do I apply the health card. Does it have to be in Toronto when I land or can I delay it until I go for permanent landing in Alberta?

Same scenario for bank account. Do I have to open a bank account now or can it wait until my permanent landing?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spetro said:
Dear All,

I intend to do a short landing in Toronto next year. I will return back to my home country after that. When I return to Canada again to satisfy the PR requirements, I will work in Alberta most likely. Now, my question is, where do I apply the health card. Does it have to be in Toronto when I land or can I delay it until I go for permanent landing in Alberta?

Same scenario for bank account. Do I have to open a bank account now or can it wait until my permanent landing?
If you are just doing a short landing, you should not apply for health care. The rules in Ontario state that in order to be eligible for health care, you need to spend at least 5 months a year and in the first 6 months alone, you must spend 5 months so you would not be eligible.

When you return, if you settle in Alberta, you will as a newcomer get first day health care. The rules there are that you spend 6 months a year to be eligible.

As for opening a bank account, it can be useful because then you can wire money into it before you return instead of travelling with your funds on your person.

spetro

Jun 14, 2014
Thanks for your reply, Leon. If I understand correctly, we are not required to apply for health cards when we do short landings.

Regarding the bank account, I see your point of convenience if I open a bank account. But, is it a requirement (must have) for landing process?

Also, if I open the account in Toronto, the banks would easily wire money to Alberta, right. I mean there won't be any extra charges etc. If possible, can you recommend a bank in Alberta?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spetro said:
Thanks for your reply, Leon. If I understand correctly, we are not required to apply for health cards when we do short landings.

Regarding the bank account, I see your point of convenience if I open a bank account. But, is it a requirement (must have) for landing process?

Also, if I open the account in Toronto, the banks would easily wire money to Alberta, right. I mean there won't be any extra charges etc. If possible, can you recommend a bank in Alberta?
Applying for a health card when you are just doing a short landing and don't plan to reside in that province is not required and actually not even allowed.

Ontario has mostly the same banks as Alberta does so you can use an account opened in Toronto in Alberta later on although there is really no requirement for your landing that you open a bank account. You can also easily leave it until later.

I have met many people who were happy or unhappy with their banks. I found the least unhappy people / most happy people to be banking with TD Canada Trust although I've never tried them myself. The most unhappy people seemed to be banking with CIBC and as I have experience with them, I can also verify that they were not very competent when I was dealing with them.

jahanzaibkh

Jan 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
17-11-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-09-2016
rambojuda said:
Hello,
I just landed in Toronto. It was very straight forward. I was out of the airport within 35 mins. After you arrive at the airport, you will be sent to an immigration office. The officer will take one of your COPR form. Then you will be diverted to SIN office, and will be issued a SIN number.
After that you just go through customs and declare the items you will be bringing later. That's it.. I wasn't informed much on my way and nobody mentioned anything about PR card.
So I went back and checked with customs and was told that I have to apply for one, but on CIC website it is mentioned that newcomers will receive the PR card in mail.
Can someone please confirm this? Also is there a way to track PR card status? Were any of you who have completed landing, issued some document?
The only document I received was one of my COPR, Thinks to follow list (stamped) and the SIN number.
Thanks
Hi
Have they asked from you about proof of funds?

jahanzaibkh

Jan 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
17-11-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-09-2016
emamabd said:
i would disagree.

PoF should be equivalent to the required CAD amount, but there is not restriction such that the funds have to be in canadian dollars. USD, British pounds, euros, austrailian dollars...any currency that can be converted in a canadian bank will serve the purpose.

You can carry cash above 10k if you wish. there is no restriction in canada for the amount of cash brought by a landed immigrant. The requirement is to "declare" funds equal to/or more than 10k..it doesn't mean you're not allowed to exceed that amount.
Thank you for your answer. Have you heard about any case whose local bank statement is rejected?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
jahanzaibkh said:
Thank you for your answer. Have you heard about any case whose local bank statement is rejected?
Personally i don't know someone who was denied landing due to having a bank statement from a third world country as POF, nor do i know someone who landed with a bank statement and was accepted as pof.

however, cic website mentions the below as acceptable forms of pof:

These funds could be in the form of:

cash
documents that show property or capital payable to you (such as stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills, etc.) or
documents that guarantee payment of a set amount of money, which are payable to you (such as bankers’ drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques or money orders).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

RanjitNagi

Star Member
Aug 17, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
Nomination.....
24-11-2014
File Transfer...
16-01-2015
Med's Request
24-01-2015
Med's Done....
02-02-2015
Passport Req..
31-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2015
Hi Friends,

I have booked tickets for my spouse as "ABC XYZ" as ABC as first name and XYZ as lastname.
But on her passport, "ABC XYZ" is given names and there is no sirname/lastname.

Moreover, on ticket printouts its written "Mrs ABC XYZ"

Will there be issue with ticket?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
RanjitNagi said:
Hi Friends,

I have booked tickets for my spouse as "ABC XYZ" as ABC as first name and XYZ as lastname.
But on her passport, "ABC XYZ" is given names and there is no sirname/lastname.

Moreover, on ticket printouts its written "Mrs ABC XYZ"

Will there be issue with ticket?
I think it makes sense for you to contact your airline and ask them if that's ok or not..