+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
Repost:

Hello Guys,

What forms do i need to bring supposing i am only bringing my clothes and medication?

Also can i bring cash of about 20 kCAD with me?

Thanks.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ETE said:
Repost:

Hello Guys,

What forms do i need to bring supposing i am only bringing my clothes and medication?
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf. Also bring doctor's prescriptions for your medication

Also can i bring cash of about 20 kCAD with me?
Yes. Make sure you declare it, even if CBSA forgets to ask you.
Thanks.

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015

bindudhiman

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-07-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
File Transfer...
05-08-2015
Med's Request
09-08-2015
Med's Done....
11-08-2015
Interview........
TLU 14-10-2015
Passport Req..
01-12-2015 hurrayyy..
emamabd said:
i would disagree.

PoF should be equivalent to the required CAD amount, but there is not restriction such that the funds have to be in canadian dollars. USD, British pounds, euros, austrailian dollars...any currency that can be converted in a canadian bank will serve the purpose.

You can carry cash above 10k if you wish. there is no restriction in canada for the amount of cash brought by a landed immigrant. The requirement is to "declare" funds equal to/or more than 10k..it doesn't mean you're not allowed to exceed that amount.
Carrying cash above 10k CAD and not able to prove the source, you may be put in jail. No one wishes to land in jail. Better avoid cash above 10k CAD.
Check the CBSA website.

Failure to report

Currency and monetary instruments of a value equal to or greater than $10,000, or its equivalent in a foreign currency which are not reported, may be subject to seizure and the assessment of penalties or forfeiture. Penalties range from $250 to $5,000.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bindudhiman said:
Carrying cash above 10k CAD and not able to prove the source, you may be put in jail. No one wishes to land in jail. Better avoid cash above 10k CAD.
Check the CBSA website.

Failure to report

Currency and monetary instruments of a value equal to or greater than $10,000, or its equivalent in a foreign currency which are not reported, may be subject to seizure and the assessment of penalties or forfeiture. Penalties range from $250 to $5,000.
Those penalties are for *failing to report* the cash. It's quite safe to bring cash as long as you declare it.

Please let's not scare people by telling them without reason they'll go to jail!!!!

vahidyz

Star Member
Dec 28, 2010
I do not wish the take the jewelry i declared in the immigration forms to Canada as i feel it is better if i keep it back home. Is it necessary to carry jewelry to canada as i declared it in the immigration forms or is alright if i dont carry that jewelry to Canada at all ???

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
bindudhiman said:
Check the CBSA website.

Failure to report

That is the penalty for not declaring the funds...i haven't been asked to prove the source at the airport.

You'll need to fill up the declaration card that is given in flight, immigration officer will ask you how much funds you have and will write down the amount in the COPR. Later when you go through customs the officers will ask you to complete and sign an additional form indicating the amount of funds in your posession and thats it. They may choose to see the funds, but in most cases they don't.

Later when you open a bank account, they will ask you about the source of the funds, so ofcourse it makes sense to have the supporting documentation for that purpose.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
vahidyz said:
I do not wish the take the jewelry i declared in the immigration forms to Canada as i feel it is better if i keep it back home.
it depends what you consider home...if canada is your new home, then you might as well have your stuff with you ;)

Waiting2014

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO TO WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Nomination.....
08-01-2015
AOR Received.
13-02-2015
IELTS Request
Given with application
Med's Request
15-05-2015
Med's Done....
04-06-2015
Passport Req..
17-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-08-2015
LANDED..........
May be Oct 2015
Hi All

I landed yesterday in TORONTO..had smooth landing process at the airport.

Anyone already in toronto can help me in which bank I should open an account. Also help on phone number as to which plan is good..prepaid or postpaid

Thank you!

cknouman

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Waiting2014 said:
Hi All

I landed yesterday in TORONTO..had smooth landing process at the airport.

Anyone already in toronto can help me in which bank I should open an account. Also help on phone number as to which plan is good..prepaid or postpaid

Thank you!
In addition to your landing, yesterday's significant event was a first (a bit of) snow of the season :). Welcome to Toronto! On both of these you will have to do a bit of research.
1. On the bank account, mostly I have seen people pretty happy with the bank they are banking with whether it is TD, RBC Scotia or any other, which mean they are all good. I had to visit a few banks to pick the best one suited for me. Most well spread ATMs are for TD and RBC, and when we landed three months ago RBC was giving free Ipads to new immigrants who open an account with them. Based on my research I concluded TD is best for me and I am pretty happy with the decision. Reason being easy accessible ATM across Toronto, free of cost credit cards, six month no fee. And above all, it is open 7 days a week (not all branches). Again, what is best for me might not be best for you so I would say give it half a day of your time and visit three or four major ones and go ahead and open the account in the one you think is best for you.

2. On mobile you need a bit of research to decide what is best for you based on your requirement. Chatr and Wind are relatively cheaper but they dont come with those benefits like data plans etc and I have heard the service is also not the best in some places of the city. I found my peace of mind in FIDO. $55 monthly for no contract post paid. I get Unlimited calls across canada, unlimited sms worldwide and 2GB data and the service is pretty reasonable too. The best feature for me was that our Iphones (which we had baught from the middle east) were comparable with Fido's network. If you go to any nearest mall you will mostly likely be able to visit all these networks. So best is to give a couple of hours and compare different packages based on your needs

Kashifshah

Apr 15, 2012
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London visa office
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2010
Doc's Request.
27th July 2010
AOR Received.
March 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with docs
File Transfer...
Aug 2011
Med's Request
Hope to get soon
Hello everyone!!!
I am planing to land in May 2016, if i dont go now to canada will it have any effect on my passport my visa expires in june... Will our visa be cancelled on any other basis??? Plz reply

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
Kashifshah said:
Hello everyone!!!
I am planing to land in May 2016, if i dont go now to canada will it have any effect on my passport my visa expires in june... Will our visa be cancelled on any other basis??? Plz reply
If your visa expires in June, you can land any time before that, including the day before expiration of visa. For your passport, I think you need to have at least six months' validity at the time of landing.

djgt

Oct 27, 2014
Hi all,

For best answer and support to all for below question which will be helpful to everyone who plan to land near by................

Can we have to declare all the good including cloths, crokries, groceries, articles and etc. Also want to know do we need to make list of all in 2 sheets for landing and what papers they are asking at airport when we land there...........

R/DJGT

ksa0510

Champion Member
Feb 11, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
Nomination.....
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-11-2014
IELTS Request
03-07-2014
File Transfer...
09-07-2014
Med's Request
18-05-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015
LANDED..........
21-07-2015
Things to do upon landing using Calgary as reference
Step 1-Get a mobile phone (Wind is the cheapest but poor coverage, FIDO,KOODO,VIRGIN etc. are on the high side with minimum of $65 without tax for unlimited calls & 500MB-1GB plan AND wind offer $40 for unlimited calls and 3GB).Requirement for getting phone is government issue ID, & credit check/Cash payment
Step 2-Go for Social Insurance Number Registration (SIN) at Harry Hayes Building, downtown Calgary depending on your location as there are other centres for the registration as well. Requirement for SIN registration is your Landing Document & your travelling government issued ID
Step 3-Go to the BANK and open a newcomer account. All the banks are equally good depending on what you want (RBC, Scotiabank, CIBC, BMO, TD etc).Please ask for a void cheque upon opening the account. Requirement for account opening is your Landing Document & your travelling government issued ID
Step 4-Go to the registry to register for Alberta health card. Requirements for the health registration are government issued ID, landing Doc, and one of Tenancy agreement/Void Cheque/Utilities statement/Bank statement. If a particular registry refuses the void cheque try another one please.
Steps 1-4 can be achieved within a day after landing.
Step 5-Search for accommodation while still staying with your host or in the hotel as the case maybe. Try rentfaster and Kijiji
Step 6-Call the Calgary education board for your children placement in school. Note, this is purely by appointment only.
Step 7-Start visiting some immigration supporting centres like CCIS, ICS, and CIWA, Drop-In Centre, WIN, YWCA etc where you can get referrals for CLB test, furniture, bridging and upgrading program, food bank, benefit forms completion guidance etc
Step 8-Enrol into a driving school if you are coming from a country where your driver’s license can’t be exchanged to Canadian one and prepare to write your knowledge road test.
Once you have your accommodation, the next is to get a car to go around as the present weather condition is extremely cold.
Please go for accommodation that has utilities inclusive as a newly landed immigrant.
Step 9-Welcome to Canada…………

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
Please can someone who has landed in Toronto share the things to do upon landing using Toronto as reference, Just as ksa0510 did for Calgary?

Thanks.